dcsimg

Seating in the shop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m planning on making a stool or two for the shop…which I’ve never done. Previously my seating was a kitchen table chair, but that was way too low. My work bench is a couple inches higher than the norm, but it’s adjustable so height isn’t a huge factor.

What do you all use in the shop? Has anyone made their own stool? Pictures and links would be appreciated!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I have what is a bar counter height table in my shop where I do most of my paper tinkering stuff and for it I use a repurposed old bar stool that has a backrest.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have an old chair from a sewing factory my wife worked at years ago.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

No seating in my shop. I don’t do much bench work where I would need it.

woodman_412

I used to use an old metal swiveling stool with a back on it in my first shop. I’ve been debating whether I should bring it to my new shop since my parents still have it and want rid of it. I’ve been finding lately that I would rather just stand on my nice anti fatigue mat from Lee Valley since it’s so comfy.

Dan

danpattison.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have a small folding stool that I use while working on an engine mounted to a stand. It’s a bit short to have at my bench ND always wanted a proper height stool.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Have an old wooden folding chair that was my grandfathers. He cut the back off so he could move easily while re-loading. Favorite chair of all times.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a lawn chair outside the door that I sit in in the summer . Lately I have been sitting on a upside down 5 gal. bucket. I have chairs but seem to end up on the bucket.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I want to make something loosely based on this one the drunken wood worker does.

I have some extra ply that I want to try.

I have a couple of these in the shop. The base is wide so no tipping and I like the rollers. It also sits higher but perhaps not a high as you want Jon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TMHWNM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Attachments:

No seating for me – other than one of my workbenches. I would like a stool for bench work.

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m still searching for the ideal seating. Right now I have a lightweight stool, no back, no rollers, that seems to do the job. I think the right one will become a priority once the new bench is finished.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have various stools from auto part companies and a few I have bought over the years. They do make adjustable height ones which is nice to have in finding just the right height for the job at hand.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I was planning on building one. By the time I buy decent lumber and castors, I’m sure it will be more expensive anyway…still, it would be a fun project to take on.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I have a couple of these in the shop. The base is wide so no tipping and I like the rollers. It also sits higher but perhaps not a high as you want Jon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TMHWNM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Yes Lon that’s what I am going to try for my garage / shop, easily adjustable and the casters look well built.

I would like to build one – not sure of the name of the style, but one where the back runs to the floor into an L shape, so the flat base extends the depth (or more) of the seat

Would let me tuck it into the workbench when not in use and take no space.

Sort of this, but in stool form, and with a less fancy design

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

This is the type of folding stool that I have in my garage.
    When not in use, I fold it and hang on the wall.

http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Gameroom-Black-Cushioned-Folding/dp/B006H0XEIW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451919147&sr=8-3&keywords=folding+stool

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve got roll around stools for welding on but nothing in the wood shop. Well, we do have a coffee room. That’s old office chairs.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I was planning on building one. By the time I buy decent lumber and castors, I’m sure it will be more expensive anyway…still, it would be a fun project to take on.

yah but when you build it yourself, you get the satisfaction of customizing it to exactly what you want. Every little idea you have you can incorporate.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I have a bar stool in my shop. Perfect height, and I feel right at home. 😉

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.357 seconds