dcsimg

Sears – Business Updates

This topic contains 201 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 202 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Anyone remember that Kmart used to own a home improvement big box store named BUILDERS SQUARE? I think they went out about 20 years ago. I still have a level and some hand tools from BS. Then Kmart became part of Sears.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It’s do or die time for Sears.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/39713872/its-do-or-die-time-for-sears

It doesn’t look promising. Sears as we know it, may have to liquidate.

Craftsman will live on as SDB but most likely in name only.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Anyone remember that Kmart used to own a home improvement big box store named BUILDERS SQUARE? I think they went out about 20 years ago. I still have a level and some hand tools from BS. Then Kmart became part of Sears.

Back in the early 90’s I was in K-Mart’s construction department and oversaw the construction of new stores and remodels. Builders Square was also expanding at that time so I managed construction of a couple of them. Our office was in a builders Square also. They did not last long, with Home Depot and Menards on their heels they faded fast.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/39713872/its-do-or-die-time-for-sears

It doesn’t look promising. Sears as we know it, may have to liquidate.

I think they’re doomed myself. We saw this play out very similarly with Sears Canada just a year ago.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

t doesn’t look promising. Sears as we know it, may have to liquidate.

It doesn’t look promising. It is too bad.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The alt. news sites says it all over with very little time left.. we’ll see.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The alt. news sites says it all over with very little time left.. we’ll see.

You are still on Usenet? 😱

CB
    Pro

It is baffling why SBD bought the Craftsman name. It means nothing. It signifies nothing. The only “value” the Craftsman brand had for the last 50 years was the “Lifetime Guarantee” of hand tools, where if one breaks, walk into any Sears across North America, and swap it straight across for a new replacement.

With Sears stores closing at the rate of 250 stores per year for the last few years, there are a lot fewer stores available to make good on that guarantee. And with Sears bankrupt and shutting down altogether, there are likely a lot of people who regret paying extra for Craftsman (even Chinese Craftsman) just to get that lifetime guarantee on hand and yard tools, that has now reached end of life.

I’ve outlived many a retailer’s so called “lifetime” promises. I don’t pay attention to them anymore. But there is nothing whatsoever going for the Craftsman name, especially once Sears shutters for good. The power tools are known to be Crapman, and the imported handtools do not have the USA pride or quality that established Craftsman’s formerly formidable reputation in the ’50’s and ’60’s.

Craftsman will forever be intrinsically associated with Sears. Once Sears is gone forever, what value does SBD hope to retrieve from a brand name of a failure?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Craftsman will forever be intrinsically associated with Sears. Once Sears is gone forever, what value does SBD hope to retrieve from a brand name of a failure?

I tend to agree with you. Craftsman was so mismanaged at the end that any value has long since been lost. The crap Chinese tools they were passing off were junk and they lost a lot of goodwill in the process. It will take a long time to rebuild the brand I just don’t know if SBD will have the patience.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think SDB bought Craftsman for reasons other than power tools.

As far as Sears is concerned, Craftsman is one of the few divisions that was actually profit generating, so that brand can stand on it’s own financially, Sears had to sell it to get some cash so the rest of the empire can live on a bit longer, like 900 million dollars longer.

On SBD side, given that Craftsman by itself is not losing money, they can hope to rebrand, retool it. After all, it still has a legacy reputation as many people still to this day think of this as a brand that can be trusted because “I still have this socket set my grandfather used and it’s still working flawlessly” even though a lot of it has eroded recently.

In the Craftsman brand, most of the business is not tools. Tools only account for 35% of CM’s business. Their big money generating items are push and riding lawn mowers, snow blowers, wood chippers shredders, garage door openers and other outdoor power equipment. SDB doesn’t really have a strong position in those categories and I think it is hoping that CM can give them a foot in that door.

Then there are all those metal tool chests in garages all over. I am guessing they hope owners of those will more likely buy CM hand tools or power tools to put in them, even if they are not CM made but rebranded DeWalt or Stanley or Irwin but in red/black colors.

SDB also has no foot hold in the mechanics tool boxes. Not one of their existing brands. May be CM can make a difference.

Clearly Lowes made the deal to carry SDB CM exclusively because it attracts a new group of customers that used to walk into Sears.

I think SDB bought CM because of lawn equipment.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Looks like Sears/K-mart is closing another 80 stores this year.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/12/28/sears-store-closing-list-80-more-sears-kmart-stores-close-march/2433974002/
    This one will get the closest Sears to me.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It is baffling why SBD bought the Craftsman name. It means nothing. It signifies nothing. The only “value” the Craftsman brand had for the last 50 years was the “Lifetime Guarantee” of hand tools, where if one breaks, walk into any Sears across North America, and swap it straight across for a new replacement.

With Sears stores closing at the rate of 250 stores per year for the last few years, there are a lot fewer stores available to make good on that guarantee. And with Sears bankrupt and shutting down altogether, there are likely a lot of people who regret paying extra for Craftsman (even Chinese Craftsman) just to get that lifetime guarantee on hand and yard tools, that has now reached end of life.

I’ve outlived many a retailer’s so called “lifetime” promises. I don’t pay attention to them anymore. But there is nothing whatsoever going for the Craftsman name, especially once Sears shutters for good. The power tools are known to be Crapman, and the imported handtools do not have the USA pride or quality that established Craftsman’s formerly formidable reputation in the ’50’s and ’60’s.

You’re right.
    Sears never did anything. Put their brand name Craftsman or Kenmore on a product made by somebody else and that was it.
    Now it’s hurting my eyes that craftsman red that fills ostentatiously tool section in Rona and Reno Depot.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Now it’s hurting my eyes that craftsman red that fills ostentatiously tool section in Rona and Reno Depot.

I’ve been seeing tons of Craftsman in Lowes since last summer. Myself, it doesn’t bother me. Craftsman to me wasn’t a great brand in my mind. Just middle of the road for the most part. They really gouged you on replacement parts. Even an owners manual I wanted 20 years ago they wanted $25 for. I passed.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

CB
    Pro

I think SDB bought Craftsman for reasons other than power tools.

Because that Lampart guy running Sears already knew the certain inevitability of the ship heading over the waterfall, and was selling off the ship’s engine for as much as he could while the engine was still running, since the ship wouldn’t be needing that engine much longer anyway?

As far as Sears is concerned, Craftsman is one of the few divisions that was actually profit generating so that brand can stand on it’s own financially

Profitable because most of it during the last 20-30 years was cheap imported crap, still priced as if domestically made quality?

Sears had to sell it to get some cash so the rest of the empire can live on a bit longer, like 900 million dollars longer.

Between the trusts and the holding companies and the other shell games businesses play, did the money from Craftsman actually go toward saving Sears, or recuperating the money that Lampart “loaned” to Sears?

On SBD side, given that Craftsman by itself is not losing money, they can hope to rebrand, retool it.

If they have to REBRAND it, why pay a billion bucks for the old brand?

After all, it still has a legacy reputation as many people still to this day think of this as a brand that can be trusted because “I still have this socket set my grandfather used and it’s still working flawlessly” even though a lot of it has eroded recently.

That doesn’t give people a lot of clue credit. I shudder to think that people are that dense. Why SBD would assume so is beyond the pale.

In the Craftsman brand, most of the business is not tools. Tools only account for 35% of CM’s business. Their big money generating items are push and riding lawn mowers, snow blowers, wood chippers shredders, garage door openers and other outdoor power equipment. SDB doesn’t really have a strong position in those categories and I think it is hoping that CM can give them a foot in that door. I think SDB bought CM because of lawn equipment.

Craftsman doesn’t make lawn equipment. Craftsman doesn’t make anything. Craftsman never did make anything. Craftsman isn’t a manufacturer, and never was. Craftsman was merely the house brand of Sears, like HDX is the house brand of Home Depot, and Kobalt is the house brand of Lowes, and Chicago Electric is the house brand of Harbor Freight.

Anyone who has ever bought Craftsman lawn equipment soon finds out that MTD actually manufactured (or later imported) the equipment… and that realization happens when it comes time to repair the thing and parts are needed. Parts that used to be available from Sears back when Sears had service and repair centers… but those went away before the turn of the century.

MTD, and similar lawn and garden equipment manufacturers and importers, sells the same equipment under their own and different brand names. The only difference with Craftsman branded products is that Sears always made these manufacturers put special features (always enticing and intriguing, but often worthless in use) that were contractually exclusive to the Craftsman version, and could not be offered in the otherwise identical products made by the contracted manufacturer.

Then there are all those metal tool chests in garages all over. I am guessing they hope owners of those will more likely buy CM hand tools or power tools to put in them, even if they are not CM made but rebranded DeWalt or Stanley or Irwin but in red/black colors. SDB also has no foot hold in the mechanics tool boxes. Not one of their existing brands. Maybe CM can make a difference.

Craftsman mechanics tool boxes, when they used to be made in the USA, were manufactured by Waterloo Industries. Waterloo made tool boxes for a number of different tool brands, and used to sell boxes under their own brand. My 36 drawer mechanics tool cart, chest, and sideboxes that I bought at an automotive tool distributor was built and branded by Waterloo. SBD OWNS Waterloo.

Buying the Craftsman brand is like buying all the remaining shipping containers of “Affliction” T shirts… because they used to be well known and real popular a decade ago… when you already own the T shirt factory.

Clearly Lowes made the deal to carry SDB CM exclusively because it attracts a new group of customers that used to walk into Sears..

Now here may be a point… distribution channels and agreements. To any extent that the Craftsman brand already had agreements with the Ace Hardware network and the Do It Best buying group that distributes to independent hardware stores, and Lowe’s… maybe the shelf space costs to maintain product presence in those stores was cheaper to fund under previously negotiated agreements with the Craftsman division, than it was or would have been with other SBD brands. That I could sort of imagine, but let’s be clear, this is purely speculative imagination… worth less than the debt that Sears is in.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Craftsman doesn’t make lawn equipment. Craftsman doesn’t make anything. Craftsman never did make anything. Craftsman isn’t a manufacturer, and never was. Craftsman was merely the house brand of Sears, like HDX is the house brand of Home Depot, and Kobalt is the house brand of Lowes, and Chicago Electric is the house brand of Harbor Freight.

There is still some legacy in it’s name. Yes many are disappointed but then SBD can always blame Sears and turn it around as the company to reboot CM.

This was what SBD said publicly in it’s plans to “REVITALIZE” Craftsman.

“Building on its strong heritage of instilling pride and accomplishment among millions of makers – from homeowners and home builders to auto enthusiasts and master mechanics — CRAFTSMAN is introducing more than 1,200 new tools and products over the next year in the following categories:

Power Tools, Equipment & Accessories
    Lawn & Garden Power Equipment
    Hand Tools
    Mechanic & Automotive Tools
    Storage & Organization Solutions

The products will be available at Lowe’s Home Improvement, ACE Hardware stores and other major retailers, including Amazon, beginning this month. Initially, Stanley Black & Decker plans to manufacture, with global materials, approximately 30 percent of the tools in its U.S. facilities, with the goal of increasing that ratio to more than 50 percent over the next few years.”

OK how does Craftsman come up with 1200 new products IN A YEAR? 1200! I am guessing most of these are rebrands. Take the DeWalt TSTAK cases, make it red and put CM stickers on it. Take the Stanley FatMax tapes and parts organizer make them red and call it Craftsman. May be have the MAC Tools, FACOM and PROTO lines label some of the hand tools as CM. They can release new CM garage storage solutions using Vidmar cabinets. Don’t know if SBD has any lawn equipment brands or it has to keep the suppliers for lawn & garden. Who actually makes the products behind the brand may be less and less important.

I had an old Porter Cable compound miter saw that I really like and I didn’t know it was actually made by Delta until I had to get parts.

GLOBALLY SOURCED MATERIALS, MACHINED BY ROBOTS, ASSEMBLED BY GLOBALLY SOURCED WORKERS, MANUALLY APPLIED BRAND LOGO STICKERS PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA.

CB
    Pro

GLOBALLY SOURCED MATERIALS, MACHINED BY ROBOTS, ASSEMBLED BY GLOBALLY SOURCED WORKERS, MANUALLY APPLIED BRAND LOGO STICKERS PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA.

Ain’t that the truth… where the only “American” worker in the “Made In USA” manufacturing plant is the security guard watching the foreign made robots apply the USA sticker and box the imported product for distribution.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had an old Porter Cable compound miter saw that I really like and I didn’t know it was actually made by Delta until I had to get parts.

Porter cable and Delta were both owned by a company called Pentair till a few years ago when they sold them to SBD. Up until then Porter Cable still meant quality tools to woodworkers. Then SBD took the quality out of them and made then their midline tool between Dewalt and B & D. When they were under the Pentair umbrella, they were good tools.

CB
    Pro

Rockwell was also previously entwined with Delta, and later, with Porter Cable. Over the years I’ve seen the exact same tools branded with either PC or Rockwell, depending on the year the tool was manufactured. Same with Rockwell and Delta.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I still have an old PC recip. saw and a circular saw, both corded though and rarely gets used but they have been rugged & dependable tools never gave me any trouble. Some jerk stole both the Delta 10″ and PC 12″ compound miter saws last year but missed some tools I had in one closet.

Too bad SBD pounded that brand into the ground.

Rockwell is now owned by Positec who also own Worx.

CB
    Pro

It’s amazing how these brands pop up out of the blue from China and so quickly gain so much traction… Worx, NuMax, Freeman… Chinese based tool companies I never heard of before prior to last year are now dominating sales on Amazon over and above brand names that have been around for generations.

This is yet another reason why I don’t see the value in the Craftsman name. Today’s generation could give zero figs about their father’s oldsmobile. They want the solution as cheap as possible, and furthermore, the actual people who are the ones working with tools nowadays have little to no historical or cultural connection to the “tradition” of Craftsman.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 202 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.277 seconds