dcsimg

Sears – Business Updates

This topic contains 201 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 202 total)
  • Author

We have one of the repicia Sears Catalogs from late 1800’s, it is so cool to look through it.

What will happen to craftsman’s lifetime warranty if sears closes up shop? Will another company pick up the line and honor the warranties?

I am sad to say you guys are probably right – it is probably only a matter of time :\

Will probably be online and you send back to them on your dime. For most of my stuff like sockets, would be cheaper just to buy another one or store them until you have a bunch which would make shipping easier but then you will be out of a tool for a while.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

It’s bound to happen. To many other options to shop at.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I think that Sears can survive. They will just have change their mindset and business model. That is what happened to them up to now. Trends and customer demands change yet they kept offering the same things in the same way. If they had changed they probably would still be going strong. Successful companies are innovators. They usually stay competitive until they are no longer innovators then they are toast. IBM prime example. Made typewriters, then electric typewrites and all kinds of needed machines. Then when personal computers came along IBM said no we will stick with business and company machines. They are still here but mostly irrelevant. These things can happen to any sized company form 10 million employees down to one. Things to think about

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

. I worked in the construction department at Kmart building and remodeling stores

. I worked in the construction department at Kmart building and remodeling stores

Kmart has building and remodeling stores??

The actually did own Builders Square back then, now defunct. I actually was a project manager responsible for building new stores and remodeling existing stores. I still go by some of the stores I was responsible for, some are closed and now other retailers, others are still open. I was glad to leave there, it was a dysfunctional place.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I think that Sears can survive. They will just have change their mindset and business model. That is what happened to them up to now. Trends and customer demands change yet they kept offering the same things in the same way. If they had changed they probably would still be going strong. Successful companies are innovators. They usually stay competitive until they are no longer innovators then they are toast. IBM prime example. Made typewriters, then electric typewrites and all kinds of needed machines. Then when personal computers came along IBM said no we will stick with business and company machines. They are still here but mostly irrelevant. These things can happen to any sized company form 10 million employees down to one. Things to think about

Well said, it is all about adapting with the times. I saw their quarterly profits a while back and they still make a lot of money, they are just declining. If they can make some changes now, like keeping less stores open and focusing more on catalogue and online as well as changing some of the stuff they carry to be what people want. It would also help if they could make the quality of their tools more like what it used to be.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

We’re losing the biggest Sears in our area by the end of the year. That leaves 2 tiny little stores where you have to order most things.

We have also have a trend in the last 2-3 months of business closings.

Businesses are closing right and left in our area: Violi’s, Sears and Office Max in Massena and now Northern Music in Potsdam in just two months. What will replace these jobs for over 120 people? This is just a start from the loss of GM and Alcoa East Plant. Real people with families will suffer. When does the bleeding stop?

Just today another store (F.Y.I) announced their closing as well. The mall where Sears and F.Y.I. are located just got a 40% reduction in their taxes since that amount of the mall is empty. Office Max is also part of that complex, although in a separate strip mall next door.

What will happen to craftsman’s lifetime warranty if sears closes up shop? Will another company pick up the line and honor the warranties?

I am sad to say you guys are probably right – it is probably only a matter of time :\

I think Craftsman will still be around, just not as prevalent. I’ve seen Craftsman tools in the local hardware stores around here.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think Craftsman will still be around, just not as prevalent. I’ve seen Craftsman tools in the local hardware stores around here.

The Craftsman brand will survive. Ace Hardware as well as many other places besides Sears carry it. The brand is too valuable to die. Part of the reason for the catalog stores. Craftsman sales.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Sears in my town is still going strong. Maybe we could all go and buy something from them to help.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

Sears in my town is still going strong. Maybe we could all go and buy something from them to help.

I’d love to see Sears survive, but I have been pretty consistently disappointed with their offerings in store and service the past few times I have gone. Nevertheless, this isn’t a bad idea. I do have some points that I should spend before they expire.

John S

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I’d love to see Sears survive, but I have been pretty consistently disappointed with their offerings in store and service the past few times I have gone. Nevertheless, this isn’t a bad idea. I do have some points that I should spend before they expire.

I find it hard to go in there and buy anything anymore, I just can find so much better quality elsewhere.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The 2 brands that will continue are Craftsman and Kenmore. Both are very valuable.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

The 2 brands that will continue are Craftsman and Kenmore. Both are very valuable.

I get pretty good deals on kenmore appliances from them for new homes. Better then buying direct from GE’s builder program.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

. I do have some points that I should spend before they expire.

How do those points work? Are they = dollars?

I got some the other day…

--Steve

redwood
    Pro

I’ve been hearing of Sears struggling for a lot of years now, JC Penney and Kmart too, but they are still here in some fashion. Their glory days are over, but in some way or another, I think they will survive a bit longer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous

We have one of the repicia Sears Catalogs from late 1800’s, it is so cool to look through it.

I was going to say OMG that’s going to be worth a lot of $$ but then I reread the word ‘Replica’, Too bad but I still think that would be a blast to look through

Sears has a home improvement division too. They sell way overpriced products using some greasy sales “techniques”. The consumer is getting smarter and more savvy and doesn’t fall for tactics like these as much.

I have heard the company itself is very vested in real estate. Not sure how true, but I heard they own a lot of the malls they are in..even if the store closes, they can still rent the space.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Way back Sears had a subsidiary to develop the malls it went into and it’s stores called Homart Development. In 1995 it sold Homart to General Growth properties for a little south of 2 bill. Along with that went most of their real estate holdings.

Kmart always leased their properties and did control a lot of them through long term leases. I think they sold out their interests in most of the good ones several years ago. I would suspect that Eddie Lampert has done the same with the sears real estate.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

Way back Sears had a subsidiary to develop the malls it went into and it’s stores called Homart Development. In 1995 it sold Homart to General Growth properties for a little south of 2 bill. Along with that went most of their real estate holdings.

Kmart always leased their properties and did control a lot of them through long term leases. I think they sold out their interests in most of the good ones several years ago. I would suspect that Eddie Lampert has done the same with the sears real estate.

In Canada, K-Mart was bought out by Target and the stores were swapped over. I don’t know if this will happen in the US as well eventually.

keko
    Pro

I have always shopped at sears sad to hear they are struggling hope they can hang on.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 202 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.827 seconds