dcsimg

Sears – Business Updates

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

….for hand tools like pry bars doesn’t matter.

I dunno….somehow I think even stuff like that you’re not exempt from some kind of nonsense. Who knows!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I dunno….somehow I think even stuff like that you’re not exempt from some kind of nonsense. Who knows!

What I mean is, I typically do not try and get hand tools from the same brand, or rely on them being compatible with other tools of that same brand/platform in any way shape or form. A pry bar is a pry bar, a shovel is a shovel, so I don’t really care if it’s Sears Craftsman or SBD Craftsman, and I don’t remember ever taking those tools back to the store for any warranty services.

For power tools and lawn equipment like mowers, trimmers, chainsaw etc…that’s different.

Doobie

What I mean is, I typically do not try and get hand tools from the same brand, or rely on them being compatible with other tools of that same brand/platform in any way shape or form. A pry bar is a pry bar, a shovel is a shovel, so I don’t really care if it’s Sears Craftsman or SBD Craftsman, and I don’t remember ever taking those tools back to the store for any warranty services.

For power tools and lawn equipment like mowers, trimmers, chainsaw etc…that’s different.

Funny how both a set of pry bars and an entry level shovel are two items I have either returned to the store or too easily destroyed that I had to trash.

The pry bars were Mastercraft brand sold in Canadian Tire up here in Canada (House Brand) and one of them in the set just bent too easily using it and the store actually gave me a real hard time when I went and returned them for a refund within weeks of buying that smallish prybar set. One of the incidences that eventually led me to avoid buying their stuff at Canadian Tire. I honestly didn’t feel what I had done should have led to the stupid thing bending. I’ve since bought better pry bars and none have ever done that after plenty of rugged more demanding use.

The shovel I destroyed/bent was the cheapest one on the rack at the time at HD when I first bought my house 20 years ago. I bent it trying to dig in our backyard. It really should have been able to withstand that but I bent my blade and just cut off the handle for another use one day and trashed the shovel head and went and bought myself a decent shovel which I still use to this day and has seen a lot more strenuous demands than that first POS shovel I bought. That first shovel I bought shouldn’t even be offered in these parts as the soils around here are very clay laden and I’m sure others have had the same experience at me with that shovel.

Not trying to get in an argue here Sami, just saying that with pretty well everything out there, ‘you get what you pay for’ and that in my humble experience, even what should be the most basic tools, there’s a lot of crap out there.

Walmart imo is the king at this kinda of shoddy quality offerings. In fact, I blame them for the conditions in the marketplace today for most of this that other retailers had to adjust what they did and succumb to their onslaught in offering crap where they once didn’t. They fool folks into thinking they are saving money when in fact they are buying a lot of stuff that is ‘disposable’ that really shouldn’t be causing people to have to re-buy and negating any savings they think they got in the first place.

I HATE Walmart and what they’ve done to the retail landscape. Canadian Tire for example was a place that decades ago you could trust with decent quality offerings. That has completely changed today and now I avoid CT like the plague. I only go there now to CT when I have to more or less for something I can’t readily find elsewhere.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

While I don not frequent Walmart, I would suggest that their success has been by giving the customer what they want. A cheap low quality product that fulfils their needs for a short time.

Those that ate looking for quality products at a fair price, do not shop there.

Consumerism is what has destroyed main street, had it not happened by Walmart and the other big boxes in the 80’s, 90’s and 20000’s, it would have happened by Amazon in the 2010″s and 2020’s.

Those that bemoan the destruction of main street only have themselves and their neighbors to blame. The retailers just gave them what they wanted.

Doobie

Consumerism is what has destroyed main street, had it not happened by Walmart and the other big boxes in the 80’s, 90’s and 20000’s, it would have happened by Amazon in the 2010″s and 2020’s.

Good point about Amazon. But while I can buy quality at Amazon whereas at Walmart that is not the case.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good point about Amazon. But while I can buy quality at Amazon whereas at Walmart that is not the case.

Here the Walmart is in the top 3 busiest in the country and I go in there and they sell the same stuff as other stores. I use the bank in the back of the store and a lot of strange people work there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

While I don not frequent Walmart, I would suggest that their success has been by giving the customer what they want. A cheap low quality product that fulfils their needs for a short time.

This true.

Also you can do all your shopping and get a hair cut in one store.

I too don’t go to Walmart very often. I do stop in and get a few groceries on my way home from work as I have drive right by there on my way home.

One of the things that bother me the most at Walmart is that checkouts are closed and they want you to use the self checkouts. Self checkouts might be alright for some people. I always seem delayed as I did do something right.

I had use a self check out the last time I was at Lowes as they took out some of there checkouts.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good observation Kurt. Amamzon has changed the game Walmart, HD, Lowees all offering their version of amazon Prime. The thing I like about amazon besides Prime is how easy it is to find what you need, Lowes and HD not so much. Their web site is still geared to make you look and spend time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

One of the things that bother me the most at Walmart is that checkouts are closed and they want you to use the self checkouts. Self checkouts might be alright for some people. I always seem delayed as I did do something right.

That’s one thing I started to refuse to do years ago. It almost always seemed that each time there was at least one item that just stopped me in my tracks, so I decided to end that nonsense. Especially with produce and having to look up product codes, it just adds too much time and I always felt like I was helping take somebody’s job away, it ain’t for me.

One could argue that in using them and eliminating a job saves us money but I disagree with the notion of less overhead being passed on in lower prices to us consumers. Self check out is prone to a lot of theft by the customers. It’s as simple as adding two items in your bag but only scanning a much heavier one or scanning by weight bananas and it’s actually asparagus to name a few.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That’s one thing I started to refuse to do years ago. It almost always seemed that each time there was at least one item that just stopped me in my tracks, so I decided to end that nonsense. Especially with produce and having to look up product codes, it just adds too much time and I always felt like I was helping take somebody’s job away, it ain’t for me.

Honesty I try to avoid self checkout as much as possible. When using them you are taking somebodies job away. Oh man I wouldn’t be looking up do code. That would end for me.

Amamzon has changed the game Walmart, HD, Lowees all offering their version of amazon Prime.

Amazon has good customer service too. There is has been a few times where I called Amazon over a order and didn’t get resolved. I called back a second time and got the matter resolved.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I on the other hand tend to use self check out depending on which company.

At Home Depot I prefer the self check outs as the cashiers always seem to make mistakes and skip steps. Sometimes I have a bunch of stuff and I want to process two separate transactions so as to apply two job codes to the items I am buying. Sometimes I just use one job code then go home to change the codes in the pro account purchase tracking. The cashiers are more “in my way” then helping me in many cases. The only time I use the cashiers is if I am buying in larger quantities, like 40 pieces of 2X4s, I am not going to scan 40 times so I ask the cashier to punch in 40 of this, and 20 of that.

At supermarkets on the other hand their self check out are not as efficient and you have to weight some items and other items had to be looked up manually. Yet sometimes the cashiers mess up as well, like you give her a birthday cake in a box and the bar code is at the bottom so she turns it over messing up the top side of the cake to scan it LOL.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

At Home Depot I prefer the self check outs

So do I the lines are shorter. Get out a lot quicker.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Honestly I don’t feel I get out quicker as there something that always goes wrong.

Greg

Doobie

Honestly I don’t feel I get out quicker as there something that always goes wrong.

Same here. But I mostly don’t shop at either grocery stores of BB hardware places during peak times. I just hate line ups. One of the things I really try to avoid in life whenever I can and being self-employed I can have the luxury quite often of going when most places are the least busy.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I rarely have issues with home depot self checkout now. It used to be if I have lumber, pipes, conduits, rebars, sheetrock I can’t use the self checkout, imagine holding a ten foot pipe trying to pass the bar code end over the face up scanner 😂, now they use the portable hand scanner I have no issue.

Walmart I don’t go because of their long lines.

Walmart achieves the pricing advantage same way HD and other BB do, volume pricing and efficient supply chain management. They are just a retailer, they don’t make anything. But the Dole brand banana at Walmart is the same Dole brand banana at Whole Foods Market.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

At my local Lowe’s they are redoing all their power and hand tool section.

There is a special display section (in addition to existing end caps) for Craftsman. Most of the Kobalt stuff are on clearance or pushed down to a corner collecting dust.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

At my local Lowe’s they are redoing all their power and hand tool section.

There is a special display section (in addition to existing end caps) for Craftsman. Most if the Kobalt stuff are on clearance or pushed down to a corner collecting dust.

All the Lowe’s stores around have already closed 🙁

Doobie

Walmart achieves the pricing advantage same way HD and other BB do, volume pricing and efficient supply chain management. They are just a retailer, they don’t make anything.

That’s not quite true, and yet you are correct. Lemme explain, and this all started for me from marketing and business courses I took in college in the mid to late 80’s which was even a few years before Walmart moved into Canada.

It used to be prior to Walmart turning into the behemoth retailer it had become, that manufacturers would make products and simply for a price, offer them to retailers. Yes, there were discounts for all sorts of things that would reduce the price that retailers paid. Volume discounts, accounts receivable discounts if paid for by certain dates once shipped, receiving things like seasonal items earlier than the season commanded, etc…

But Walmart changed things around in a big way. Walmart with its size changed the process in that they would go and simply TELL manufacturers exactly what they wanted built/made for them, how they wanted it packaged, when they expected delivery, but most importantly they TOLD the manufacturers what they were willing to pay for their products. If a manufacturer didn’t like it, they were told they would just go and get someone else to do it for them and being the size they had become, they were able to dictate these kinds of terms. This kinda power didn’t exists between the retailer and manufacturers in the marketplace before Walmart started doing this.

Think about it. What do you think happened? Manufacturers still needed to keep production going, and all the while needed to still make a profit, so that led into a downward spiral all around for the consumer goods manufacturers to ease on quality all around whether it be in materials, design, or in quality control checks. That’s why more and more stuff became less and less quality. Part of the trick also was to not let it be obvious to the actual consumer. At least not immediately. Some of this lessening of quality would happen over time and just like boiling a frog, many consumers would never realize of the downward quality decline.

Consumers by and large loved it, here was Walmart undercutting competitors at almost every level, consumers saved money on the items they were paying more for before, AND Walmart made even more money than they did on the same item selling for less years ago under the old scheme of the way that the relationship between retailers and manufacturers used to be. What’s there not to love about this?

Well, in my opinion, and I know I’m not the only one, folks may be paying less for their XYZ item than they did in the past, but it doesn’t last significantly as long as it used to. That leads to more frequent replacement of XYZ item, which ultimately leads in paying more over time to have said XYZ item.

One thing people also don’t readily catch with Walmart once they become a devotee of Walmart is what they charge versus other retailers for non-everyday items. This is where they make huge profits on each item. Walmart effectively has most thinking that they have the lowest prices. Newbies to Walmart would ‘check their prices’ on things that were mostly every day items and Walmart just can’t be beat even if it is by a few pennies. Thing is, this forms a complacency over time in checking competing prices for everything at Walmart. The non-every day items are often super over-priced at Walmart. I’ve even seen this myself shopping for oddball items in the past.

Once was a mop head replacement. Canadian Tire $10, HD $8, Walmart $14.

Another time 3 roll of Kodak film. Walmart $27. Black’s canera $17.

Another….tail light bulb for my car. GM dealership $10. CT $13. Walmart $23.

There are others I’ve personally seen, but you get what I mean.

Another trick they use is end of aisle advertised deals beside similar product but over-priced parked in aisle adjacent to the end display deal.

I was looking for a microwave. Walmart special advertised and stocked on end of an aisle display. $59. Same brand sitting in the aisle but with the features I really wanted $89. But if I went and found that same more feature rich model elsewhere it was $69 almost at any other BB retailer.

Yes, Walmart is a great place to do your groceries and every day supplies around the house. Consumables essentially. But when it comes to the quality of manufactured durables, THEY SUCK, and for anything that is not every day, THEY SUPER SUCK.

But the thing that irritates me the most about Walmart is what they did in reducing the overall quality of durable goods in the marketplace at many other retailers. Used to be you could buy track pants (just to name something) that would last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. Walmart track pants never seem to get much beyond 2 years. The problem is, now I’ve gotta figure out whether the track pants I buy elsewhere are Walmart grade that are super over-priced and no better than the ones sold cheaper at Walmart anyways, or whether they are in fact a decent lasting track pant that I will pay more for now that I would get at Walmart but that will last me multiple times longer than the POS track pants at Walmart and this would really save me money in the long run. Walmart has caused that area of quality and price across the whole retail landscape to be troublesomely muddied.

Oh, did I mention that I HATE WALMART? Hehehe! 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Honesty I try to avoid self checkout as much as possible. When using them you are taking somebodies job away.

I have never used a self check out and never will. I will give some one a job no matter what. I fight for their job and I hope some one fights for mine when the trons come to take mine.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.683 seconds