dcsimg

Scroll saw motor getting hot

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Hey guys, I have Delta 16 inch 40-560 Scroll saw and motor is losing power and is getting hot. I haven’t had chance to look at it. I use much and was used when I bought 3 years ago. So I wondering what I should look for.

Thanks

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I’d check the brushes. If you bought it used they might be about out of life which would maybe be responsible for the power drop. I’m not a motor expert, though. Check the bearings as well if you end up taking it apart. Induction motors are fairly simple beasts with only a few places where things can go too wrong.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Also, Greg if it’s the open type motor sawdust will get in.

If you have a compressor with a blower end, use that to try and blow out what you can before changing out the brushes.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Yes, won’t hurt to blow out the motor, and the switch too. But, have you done periodic lube ? There’s a few places that need lube inside the cover. If the mechanics become stiff, the motor works harder, gets hotter, loses power and eventually fails. If you have the manual it should be in there. If you don’t have the manual, I’ll hunt one down.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Here’s a manual. Might not be exact model you have but lube points should be the same.
    http://documents.dewalt.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Delta/En1346925.pdf

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’d check the brushes. If you bought it used they might be about out of life which would maybe be responsible for the power drop. I’m not a motor expert, though. Check the bearings as well if you end up taking it apart. Induction motors are fairly simple beasts with only a few places where things can go too wrong.

Thanks for advice I will check these things out.

Also, Greg if it’s the open type motor sawdust will get in.

If you have a compressor with a blower end, use that to try and blow out what you can before changing out the brushes.

Yes it is open at one end that I know of. I was thinking make have some dust in there. I do have a air compressor with a air nozzle. I will give a blast of air before pulling it apart. The next question is if it is the brushes where would a person buy them.

Yes, won’t hurt to blow out the motor, and the switch too. But, have you done periodic lube ? There’s a few places that need lube inside the cover. If the mechanics become stiff, the motor works harder, gets hotter, loses power and eventually fails. If you have the manual it should be in there. If you don’t have the manual, I’ll hunt one down.

I gave a good lube when I bought it. I guess I could try giving it another lube. Even know it hasn’t seen much use.

Here’s a manual. Might not be exact model you have but lube points should be the same.
    http://documents.dewalt.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Delta/En1346925.pdf

Thanks for manual. It is the right one. I already have this manual.

Thanks Guys

Greg

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@gtokley,
    Are there any repair shops in your area? I know your a bit more remote than most..

That would be the first place to look.

I have posted a shop that is located in Mississauga, I’ll have to dig out the bill to get the info for you.

— Glenn Botting

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@gtokley,
    Are there any repair shops in your area? I know your a bit more remote than most..

That would be the first place to look.

I have posted a shop that is located in Mississauga, I’ll have to dig out the bill to get the info for you.

@58Chev

I am not sure really I. I know there is place in Belleville rebuilds motors, alternators starters. I know sometime they want sell new instead of rebuilding. I could check there. I also think there is a place in Peterborough. It is out of my way. But has to go there for work. I will check out these places.

Thanks

Greg

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Greg,
    Check this place out.

Ontario Power Tool Co. Ltd.
    7508 Bath Rd
    Mississauga, Ontario
    905-612-8252
    originalpower.ca

Maybe they could even direct you to a distributor closer to you.

@gtokely,
    If you can pull one of the brushes out, grab the measurement and check this place out..
    If they have what you need, let me know… They are 5 minutes away from me and I can pick them up and mail them to you.

http://www.a1parts.com/brush/brush.htm

— Glenn Botting

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The next question is if it is the brushes where would a person buy them.

You can find brushes on Amazon, just have to match up size

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Greg,
    Check this place out.

Ontario Power Tool Co. Ltd.
    7508 Bath Rd
    Mississauga, Ontario
    905-612-8252
    originalpower.ca

Maybe they could even direct you to a distributor closer to you.

@gtokely,
    If you can pull one of the brushes out, grab the measurement and check this place out..
    If they have what you need, let me know… They are 5 minutes away from me and I can pick them up and mail them to you.

http://www.a1parts.com/brush/brush.htm

Hey,

Thanks I will check them out. Also thanks for offer getting for me.

The next question is if it is the brushes where would a person buy them.

You can find brushes on Amazon, just have to match up size

It might be possible to Amazon. But if the coming from over seas could be a 2 month wait. It is worth a try.

I just thought there is a Woodworking Store just north of here. I don’t go there very offen. I don’t think services too much. I went too him about buying a Blade holder for my scroll saw. They sold Delta products before. He told me he have what I was looking for. He went over wall of Scroll saw blades etc. to show what he had. There it was he had one on the shelf. He told me it is hard getting stuff from Delta and the shipping is really high. I guess I call him to see if they have any or where I could find them.

Thanks

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Old Thread Warning

The other day while cleaning up the workshop I saw my old scroll saw sitting there. I haven’t used it since the motor started heating up. As I thought the motor was done. I haven’t looked at why the motor was heating up til the other day. I pretty much forgotten I had a scroll saw. So I got the saw out and blew the motor out with some compress air. There was a fair bit of saw dust that came out. I did run the saw for about 5 minutes and the motor didn’t seem to get hot. This might have fixed my problem. I just thought I would mention it as I saw this thread the other day. Maybe it will help someone one day that has the same problem I did.

Greg

Doobie

Did you remove the motor casing to do this, or just blow the air into the vent holes?

Sometimes, you are just blowing stuff deeper in for another harder to deal with a final fatal fault problem if you just blow from the outside. Routers in particular are notorious for this issue.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Did you remove the motor casing to do this, or just blow the air into the vent holes?

I just blew air threw the vent holes. Yes I should remove the motor from the casing.

Sometimes, you are just blowing stuff deeper in for another harder to deal with a final fatal fault problem if you just blow from the outside. Routers in particular are notorious for this issue

I thought about this. If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a look at pulling motor apart.
    I didn’t know routers had these issues.

Greg

Doobie

Routers in particular are notorious for this issue.

The ones that sit inverted in router tables mostly. But doing a lot of MDF routing is a nasty culprit for any router’s longevity.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Routers in particular are notorious for this issue.

The ones that sit inverted in router tables mostly. But doing a lot of MDF routing is a nasty culprit for any router’s longevity.

This makes total sense. I can’t see many guys taking routers apart to remove dust as regular maintenance.

Greg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.456 seconds