dcsimg

Screw Storage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

After few hours cleaning up in the workshop. I have noticed I have problem the way I store my screws. After while the screw packages don’t up very well. Then I have screw all over the place. So I am look for simple solution solve this problem.
    I am just wondering what everyone else uses and how well works for them. I have attached a picture of something I have thinking about using.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Attachments:
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Nice idea. I been using baby food jars for misc screws & bolts. That way I can see what I have. Your pic GTokley you can label each bin which would be nice.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks @hojo04. Seeing what you have is good. I would like to have bin so I can label them. Also I would like the bin to be removable. That way I have on work bench when I need and and put back when I am done.

Greg

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I store all of mine in the L-boxx1a. It has those plastic dividers another foam in the lid. It keeps them from spilling everywhere.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a bunch in boxes on a shelf and a lot of others in a L-Boxx 1A and i have several Stanley parts organizers also.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I store all of mine in the L-boxx1a. It has those plastic dividers another foam in the lid. It keeps them from spilling everywhere.

I like the idea of the L boxes and nothing spill over. I am not sure the like the compartments are all different sizes. This would be handy for me always as I take with where I working on a project. It is something to think about.

I have a bunch in boxes on a shelf and a lot of others in a L-Boxx 1A and i have several Stanley parts organizers also.

I have thought about putting screw in small dollar store containers with lids on shelf. I do have some nails in dollar store containers. I have checkout the Stanley parts containers.

Greg

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Those tray style storage things are fine if you never leave your shop with them…on the other hand, an L-Boxx based storage system would be much more mobile. The L-rack set up allows for very similar pull out drawers, but still keeps things mobile.

I tend to use left over containers that my family churns out in the shop for my mobile needs…baby formula containers are kind of awesome. My wife really likes Tallenti ice cream which is sold in sturdy clear plastic containers with screw on lids…also a great screw container.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I use a couple of those wall racks like he pictured for small stuff in the shop. I recently bought a couple of cheap Stanley organizers that I like, but my daughter took one for her art supplies, so I may have to get a couple more.

About the second time I open a box of screws, I find a new home for them. The boxes just don’t hold up, especially out in the weather.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I use many Stanley organizers. I keep acquiring a need for more fastener variety too.
    It’s something that traveled with me always.

I recently picked up a deep Dewalt organizer from HD for $19.99. I used it do put copper and pex fittings in.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie

I use those Stanley/Dewalt cases for the screws that are reno/construction related. In the shop, I use the type you see at HD. They work great for me.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Dang @Doobie you have the hardware store at home!
    I bought a bunch of plastic food containers that I can see thru with lids.
    They stack up on the shelf nice. For on the road I bought a bag that holds 18 1 lb boxes of screws perfect. Been looking for a few more but can’t find them anymore.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a customer who is up there in age 95. He built half of his house when he was a young man. The guy has a tool room with a hundred baby jars all of the lids are screwed to the ceiling and jars are full of every fastener ever invented.

The daughter has been considering moving to Florida now that she is retired but gets overwhelmed every time she sees all of the stuff he has.

Doing this crap for a living you have to be a hardware store.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am using this as well but I find i either need MORE lboxxes or I have to find a system that can expand with the amount of fasteners I get.

Doobie

Never been keen on the jar storage solution. I always figured I would drop one and create a big mess.

Clev08
    Pro

My dad has a row of baby food jars in his shop. I have little organizers that came free in a tackle bag that I got. I used to have them stacked but of corse I always needed the one on the bottom. Now I keep them in a drawer with all the lids unlocked so I can just lift them up quickly and take what I need.

Attachments:
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

In addition to the baby food jars I used to see fishing tackle boxes or metal ammo cases.

We are spoiled with cool stuff when replace at will

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I love the Plano 3700 series containers, I have dozens of them. I sort by screw type, with one box just for 1/4-20 screws and nuts, one for 10-32 and 10-24, etc. The adjustable dividers is great for maximizing the storage in each box and I can just grab the one I need.
    The 4 Pack is usually around $20-22 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N5ZULO/

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Oh boy. I have several different systems, and they all work OK.

For large screws that I use a lot of, like 3″ deck screws, I buy them in a 20 lb boxes, and dump them into a bucket with a handle.

I also use those “parachute” bags from CLC for most of the stuff that I keep on the truck. I also use those for electrical and plumbing supplies.

Then I have those double-stacked trays with lids for small stuff.

And then there is a hardware cabinet in the shop. And yesterday I just installed my new rack-mounted bins from Northern Tool.

One of these days, I’ll find a streamlined system that actually works. But one thing to keep in mind is, what works in a shop, probably won’t work in the work truck. And bins for small fasteners are handy for something that you only have a dozen of, but doesn’t work when you need to keep a couple thousand on hand.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I do have quite a few coffee cans as well. These work best for sending out some quantities of screws or nails when working in the field. They also work good for small paint touch ups.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have something simular to the one you originaly posted @gtokley.
    I also use peanut butter jars (they are plastic) and can hold upwards of a 5″ screw.

@rovik
    , is the master of nuts/screws/bolts organization. His storage bins are well organized.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.516 seconds