dcsimg

SawStop to be Acquired by Festool Parent Company

This topic contains 36 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 7 hours, 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

I came around this article this morning
    http://toolguyd.com/sawstop-to-be-acquired-by-festool-parent-company/

What you guys think about it?

I copied part of the article, there is still more to read tho…

SawStop to be Acquired by TTS Tooltechnic Systems, Company to Continue to Operate Separately.

TTS Tooltechnic Systems is parent company to Festool and Tanos (Systainers). I haven’t found a reliable online source that lists their other companies, if any.

So… Festool buying SawStop? Well, it’s Festool’s parent company that’s acquiring SawStop, but in my mind I see it as Festool doing the acquiring.

This also likely means that Festool (TTS Tooltechnic Systems) is buying up the patents that are currently preventing some other brands from bringing competitive products to the market in the USA.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Perhaps there will be a more reasonable approach to doing business now. Actually, with only a few years left on the patent, it surprises me that SS is really worth buying. No price was disclosed; maybe it was a last ditch effort for Dr Gass to make some retirement money.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I saw this article earlier…I am very curious as to how patent issues and lawsuits are going to progress once the takeover is complete…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

This is a head scratcher. Regardless of my trying to understand why, I hope the acquisition does make for more choice and more safety in the marketplace.

Kamster
    Pro

It does seem odd when you think that in Europe, sliding table saws are the preferred saw style.

I wonder if sawstop has a number of other patents that don’t expire shortly that make this acquisition worthwhile in the long run

This is interesting, I wonder if this is a first move to start manufacturing tools in China or if the technology will be used in tools made in Germany and Czech and Poland.

Orange County, CA

So stopsaw realize that he has couple of years left on he’s patent. Then again he’s business isn’t going good. And he’s inventions isn’t all that. So he wanted to get whatever he can from the company. Before patent runs out and he doesn’t have any other income. Stopsaws design to stop blade is childish.doesnt take whole lot to figure it out. Retool on the other hand okey company but it’s not worth the money in my eyes so they are perfect for eachother.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I should have checked to see if this had come up – I posted in the lawsuit thread about the Reaxx. I wonder if this doesn’t affect the outcome of that litigation in some way or another.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The color change to green ought to add $500 to the price of the tool. The guy that owned Saw Stop finally got what he wanted, he cashed in. That was what all the law suits were about protecting the patent so he could cash in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I think this is all about distribution. Sawstop on their own just couldn’t get the market penetration on its own it needed to grow. Festool with their dealer network will make a big jump in that area. Whether they get rebranded to the green Koolaid motif, time will tell. I doubt that will happen unless Festool does some redesign at some point, but it’s hard to say as I believe this is a first for Festool in gobbling up somebody else for a tool that they didn’t design themselves.

I’m just trying to think what redesign Festool would do to integrate with the Festool ‘system’ insofar as accessories and such. Maybe a unique fence system and hold downs? Dust collection may be another area for unique Festool type improvements. Integrated router table perhaps?

Kevin.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I saw someone else posted about that yesterday on Instagram,
    That should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

The color change to green ought to add $500 to the price of the tool. The guy that owned Saw Stop finally got what he wanted, he cashed in. That was what all the law suits were about protecting the patent so he could cash in.

That’s what I was thinking Bill. A price increase will happen now that’s it’s green. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I just read read the ToolGuy announcement and was kinda intrigued by something even further than I was musing in my head about all this and where it might be heading.

Seems that Tanos, which is a Festool sister company that makes their Systainers at Festool, also makes the L-Boxxes for Bosch. This is compelling imo. Makes me now wonder out loud as to whether Festool may simply turn around and flip the SawStop company over to Bosch after the deal closes in July sometime.

Did you know that Bosch pays Tanos a licensing fee in order to market their L-Boxxes in the USA? At the back of Bosch L-Boxxes, and presumably Sortimo L-Boxxes as well (Sortimo is Bosch’s OEM partner and makes all L-Boxxes), there’s a raised message: Licensed by TTS Tooltechnic Systems.

That would be kinda cool. Bosch acquires SS from Festool and turns around and fires all the SS people it feels have been at the helm of all this patent infringement problem for them.

Kevin.

I just read read the ToolGuy announcement and was kinda intrigued by something even further than I was musing in my head about all this and where it might be heading.

Seems that Tanos, which is a Festool sister company that makes their Systainers at Festool, also makes the L-Boxxes for Bosch. This is compelling imo. Makes me now wonder out loud as to whether Festool may simply turn around and flip the SawStop company over to Bosch after the deal closes in July sometime.

Did you know that Bosch pays Tanos a licensing fee in order to market their L-Boxxes in the USA? At the back of Bosch L-Boxxes, and presumably Sortimo L-Boxxes as well (Sortimo is Bosch’s OEM partner and makes all L-Boxxes), there’s a raised message: Licensed by TTS Tooltechnic Systems.

That would be kinda cool. Bosch acquires SS from Festool and turns around and fires all the SS people it feels have been at the helm of all this patent infringement problem for them.

Dont forget that Bosch and Festool are at least semi-friendly. They rarely directly compete even similar products against the same target markets. Dont be surprised if the Reaxx is back in a very short time, paying a small license fee, or in exchange for sharing the Bosch tech (which might work on a track saw)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dont forget that Bosch and Festool are at least semi-friendly. They rarely directly compete even similar products against the same target markets. Dont be surprised if the Reaxx is back in a very short time, paying a small license fee, or in exchange for sharing the Bosch tech (which might work on a track saw)

Real interested to see how this all plays out. Festool had a reason for closing the deal.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Perhaps FeStool just found a cheaper and easier way to get a snake out of the market place. When there is a problem like Gass, sometimes it’s just easier to fork over some money and take care of it once and for all….kinda like a divorce.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Perhaps FeStool just found a cheaper and easier way to get a snake out of the market place. When there is a problem like Gass, sometimes it’s just easier to fork over some money and take care of it once and for all….kinda like a divorce.

I agree with what Jim says. It will be interesting to see what happens in the days ahead. Honestly SawStop is a nice saw. But not everyone can afford one including me. I have no interest in buying one. I don’t own a vehicle with all the bells and whistles and I get by just find.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I’m thinking that the saw itself will be abandoned as a commercial venture and the technology offered to the marketplace as a licence at a reasonable price. Maybe even combined with the Bosch technology as a joint venture.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I’m thinking that the saw itself will be abandoned as a commercial venture and the technology offered to the marketplace as a licence at a reasonable price. Maybe even combined with the Bosch technology as a joint venture.

That’s what I’m starting to think, and as Jim mentioned, what better way to resolve difficult situation, than a buyout sometimes.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

That’s what I’m starting to think, and as Jim mentioned, what better way to resolve difficult situation, than a buyout sometimes.

I don’t get the connection. Why would it be a sticky situation for Festool? It’s Bosch that was directly competing with SS technology. Festool has nothing that was in conflict with SS.

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.751 seconds