dcsimg

salvaging a glued down tile

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Anyone have a trick to remove a floor tile over concrete without damage?

I have an alteration that will require 2 replacement tiles that I will never find in a store. The alteration eliminates a section of the same tile.

I tried clear the grout out around all sides then jambing the multi tool with the rasp as far under as I could then the thinnest flat bar I had to tap under it. No luck

I also tried the cast iron sawzall blades to slide under but I only found 8″ blades. They dont bend enough and snap fairly quickly.

I only have a few more opportunities to try

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I hav removed tile that came up in full pieces, Jt that was due to a poor bond,

Possibly cut the f.grout and cut under the tile as best you can with the OMT, o would the. Build a dam around the titans use vinegar to eat away at the lime in the mortar. It may take a fair bit of soaking but it may soften the thinset

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I was hoping the bond was lousy enough to get lucky

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Anyone have a trick to remove a floor tile over concrete without damage?

I have an alteration that will require 2 replacement tiles that I will never find in a store. The alteration eliminates a section of the same tile.

I tried clear the grout out around all sides then jambing the multi tool with the rasp as far under as I could then the thinnest flat bar I had to tap under it. No luck

I also tried the cast iron sawzall blades to slide under but I only found 8″ blades. They dont bend enough and snap fairly quickly.

I only have a few more opportunities to try

Do you mind damaging the concrete? If you don’t, you can go deeper and grind the remainder off the back of the tile

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Depending on the surface texture, using one of those glass suction cup devices might help snap it free.

Kevin.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So no suction cup, but I was able to pop two in tact!!!!! We ended up moving the door so I have towo more I can attempt….only thing is it killed alot of my time already.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I was hoping the bond was lousy enough to get lucky

That’s about what it would take. A properly bonded tile is going to shatter 99 times of 100.

The only time I’ve seen a well adhered tile come up intact was when the area flooded. The water must have been on the floor for a week before the HO came back from vacation and saw it. Coincidentally, I replaced a couple tiles in that same room a few months prior to that because they were cracked and I had a tough time lifting them. After the water issue, about half of the tiles came right up in one piece.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Depending on the surface texture, using one of those glass suction cup devices might help snap it free.

So no suction cup, but I was able to pop two in tact!!!!! We ended up moving the door so I have towo more I can attempt….only thing is it killed alot of my time already.

Just found this.

And Jon had the other half of this guys method spot on about the water as well.

The only time I’ve seen a well adhered tile come up intact was when the area flooded. The water must have been on the floor for a week before the HO came back from vacation and saw it. Coincidentally, I replaced a couple tiles in that same room a few months prior to that because they were cracked and I had a tough time lifting them. After the water issue, about half of the tiles came right up in one piece.

Kevin.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

So no suction cup,

You could make one. Get a piece of melamine preferably or something similar smooth and flat. Screw a decent sturdy handle to it. Cover the bottom side with plumbers putty. Press onto tile. Presto, your suction device.

Kevin.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

For I didn’t need to get that creative Kevin.

I could have used some ear plugs….the Fein on high can be very loud

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I could have used some ear plugs….the Fein on high can be very loud

That I don’t doubt. They can sing pretty screechedly at times.

Kevin.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

How’d you make out Tom?

@topnotch

Kevin.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.483 seconds