dcsimg

Safety switch question.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Why is there a safety cross switch on my Bosch circ saw but not one on my Bosch recip saw? Why does one need a safety switch but the other does not

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Are they both cordless? I’ve noticed my Makita cordless tools have those safeties…most of my corded tools do not.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Ill take a guess and say because the circular saw can be much more dangerous than the recip saw ?

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That’s what I would think. I think the rigid recip saws have the safety switch. I don’t like it on the recip saw.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I don’t care for the safety switches on any of my cordless tools. And do away with most of them.

Ill take a guess and say because the circular saw can be much more dangerous than the recip saw ?

I don’t know about that one. Most of my corded circular saws have no safety switches.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I would agree with that statement .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know about that one. Most of my corded circular saws have no safety switches.

Yeah, but your corded circular saws are not powered during transit or storage, whereas cordless tools often are. I’m thinking that might be the reasoning.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t think I’ve ever needed a safety on portable tools.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m guessing you are talking about the ccs180? My CS 10 doesn’t have a safety switch but the trigger slot is physically separated with the rest of the grip, so while carrying it by handle I can’t accidentally start it even if it’s plugged in. My ccs180 doesn’t so if the handle slips down while carrying around, I could start it when not expecting so the safety switch is nice to have, even if a bit hard to reach.

Jummul
    Pro

Corded tools have the extra safety switch because you can’t unplug the cord to prevent accidental starts. Cordless tools can be started at all times and therefore have the switch. In practice people never remove the batteries during carrying.

At least, this is what I was told by at a Bosch repair center once.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

My wild guess is that recips are extensively used in demo work – such as cutting off siding. In cases like this, the worker may typically operate with the saw overhead or in another awkward position (not neccessarily good, but it =>will<= happen) and it would be be preferred to have a firm grip in the operating position on a tool that’s already somewhat unwieldy. A circ saw is normally used for more precise work and would be on a more stable platform, so an additional safety can be incorporated.
    It does seem counterintuitive, doesn’t it?
    Minimum requirements are CFR 1910.243(a)(2)- Switches and controls (https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9850).
    I’ve wondered the same.

Corded tools have the extra safety switch because you can’t unplug the cord to prevent accidental starts. Cordless tools can be started at all times and therefore have the switch. In practice people never remove the batteries during carrying.

This may be it. I know most folks do not umplug yhe saw after every use, but the opportunity to do so is there. It would be nice if the safety was an option that you could order, but not a standard feature

Jummul
    Pro

This may be it. I know most folks do not umplug yhe saw after every use, but the opportunity to do so is there. It would be nice if the safety was an option that you could order, but not a standard feature

That would add to total production costs. If a none-switch option really is preferred than you should be able to lock it or something.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i cant stand saftey switches on saws… same lock on switches so you dont have to hold the trigger.. on some tools ive used it turns the operation of starting a saw into a two handed affair which means you cant actually hold the tool in position because one hand is holding the trigger while the other hand is disabling the saftey

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

KenW
    Pro

I agree with that. The safety switch is a good idea. Though my 18v brushless drill/driver have middle positions to turn them ‘off’.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Yeah, but your corded circular saws are not powered during transit or storage, whereas cordless tools often are. I’m thinking that might be the reasoning.

That is a very good point and makes perfect sense to me 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.511 seconds