dcsimg

safety standards and jobsite practices

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have also seen them come and chop up extension cords because they had splits or cuts in them . Filthy Animals ! 🙂

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Not to be rude but I wish we had a guy that came to cut up all the 220v and regular power cords that are damaged in my trade. Tired of seeing guys get shocked or talking about how lucky they were that they grabbed the broken 220v with their right hand when shocked. I guess I should do more but I’m one of the few guys that is constantly taping up cords to at least try to do something. It’s been very common to not be able to find one extension in dozens that is 100%. Something is wrong with that. It should not be the norm to see tape and cuts that have not been tapped. It should be the other way around at the least. One of 220v cables broke last year on the flashing (rare as we use edge protection) and it put a hole right through the metal. I don’t want a cut cord in my hand when on the stage, or anywhere near the stage or water.

It starts with a few cords with small cuts, then it moves to the end connectors showing the wires, then it moves to taped and non-taped cuts, then sparks off the scaffolding etc.

A Working Pro since 2004

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Not to be rude but I wish we had a guy that came to cut up all the 220v and regular power cords that are damaged in my trade. Tired of seeing guys get shocked or talking about how lucky they were that they grabbed the broken 220v with their right hand when shocked. I guess I should do more but I’m one of the few guys that is constantly taping up cords to at least try to do something. It’s been very common to not be able to find one extension in dozens that is 100%. Something is wrong with that. It should not be the norm to see tape and cuts that have not been tapped. It should be the other way around at the least. One of 220v cables broke last year on the flashing (rare as we use edge protection) and it put a hole right through the metal. I don’t want a cut cord in my hand when on the stage, or anywhere near the stage or water.

It starts with a few cords with small cuts, then it moves to the end connectors showing the wires, then it moves to taped and non-taped cuts, then sparks off the scaffolding etc.

I can fully understand it when it comes to cords with that kind of power running through them . I have had a shock or two in the past with 110 but it certainly wasn’t enough to kill you .

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Was just watching some footage on the apartment that collapsed in Taiwan. I guess the codes for that building were overlooked. As per this article they say tins cans were used as filler in the concrete beams. (BBC)

A Working Pro since 2004

Attachments:
    Mark8
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Wow that is crazy. Saying the building codes were overlooked for that building is an understatement. I wonder how many walls were done like that and how many cans they used.

Cheers,
    Mark

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Was just watching some footage on the apartment that collapsed in Taiwan. I guess the codes for that building were overlooked. As per this article they say tins cans were used as filler in the concrete beams. (BBC)

I saw that, do they have no safety inspectors at all in Taiwan. They would’ve never been caught if it wasn’t for the latest set of earthquakes.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Saw that on the news last night.
    Codes overlooked or someone sure did turn a blind eye.
    If weren’t for the picture, I wouldn’t believe that tin cans were used.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They would’ve never been caught if it wasn’t for the latest set of earthquakes.

Like Haiti after the latest big earthquake. All the new construction collapsed due to not following the building codes that were designed to prevent building collapses in case of an earthquake.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Reading here where they were turned down for a mortgage recently. Looks like someone knew what was going on there.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

talk about practices you guys have on your sites, and freakish incidents with saftey officers whom have tried forcing things on you which are no where to be found within the saftey regulations

last spring we were shut down for improper scaffold.. the safety guy tried stating that we didnt have the base of our staging correct.. it had to be on 2×10 planks which are perfectly level fist and the legs are fastened down to them… by levelling the planks he stated that we had to dig out under hte plank so its level and flat.. they cant be blocked up and we cant use levelling legs.. not possible when nowhere in our contract with the home owner does it state we will be doing landscaping…. and theres 2 ft of grade drop off

I’m certified in OSHA 10 OSHA 30 and scaffolding erection. leveling feet are 100% APPROVED. that inspector is a moron.

the inspector is indeed a idiot.. he makes up his own rules which do not exist anywhere. hes former canadian navy, he went into being a saftey officer for large commercial outfits acting as a saftey officer.. he was fired by all 4 for costing the company money do to utter nonsense.. one such case was because he went into a multi million dollar project on a weekend and walked around checking extension chords.. any chord with a nick or electrical tape on it he cut up .. he did this to well over $3000 worth of extension chords stating their unsafe

So they were not unsafe? Don’t you guys get fined for stuff like that? We do.

OSHA fine for cut cord or cord missing ground is $2,000 per cord

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That’s a big fine for each cord! Wonder what the fine would be here in Canada?

A Working Pro since 2004

Not saying codes are always good. Nothing is ever all good or bad. But a guy named Sinclair wrote a book about what he seen in a Chicago meat processing factory. Would not want to go without them.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Where do you get a list of fine amounts.. I think it’s subject to review.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Saw that on the news last night.
    Codes overlooked or someone sure did turn a blind eye.
    If weren’t for the picture, I wouldn’t believe that tin cans were used.

was reading more in to that issue earlier today, apparently using tin cans wasn’t outlawed till about 1999 so if this building was built before that time they won’t get in trouble for using the tin cans. The tin cans were actually cooking oil cans and were using in place of drywall and such and were common practice back in the day. However they are still investigating and seeing if the developer cheaped out and used them in loadbearing walls.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

As far as I know, OSHA fines vary depending on whether the violation is willful, serious, repeated, or other than serious. So using a cord with a nick in it could be considered any of those four, or several, depending on the situation. Also, fine amount can be smaller for small companies and larger for large companies. And you can appeal fines, which I hear never eliminates them but can reduce them. So the dollar among for a bad cord fine could differ drastically from one case to the next.

As to the inspector who cut up cords, did he cut them to small pieces ruining them? Where I work, when a cord gets a cut in it, we just cut it at the cut and put new ends on it. Yeah it result in a 17′ and a 33′ cord, but it’s cheaper than a new cord or a fine.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

As far as I know, OSHA fines vary depending on whether the violation is willful, serious, repeated, or other than serious. So using a cord with a nick in it could be considered any of those four, or several, depending on the situation. Also, fine amount can be smaller for small companies and larger for large companies. And you can appeal fines, which I hear never eliminates them but can reduce them. So the dollar among for a bad cord fine could differ drastically from one case to the next.

As to the inspector who cut up cords, did he cut them to small pieces ruining them? Where I work, when a cord gets a cut in it, we just cut it at the cut and put new ends on it. Yeah it result in a 17′ and a 33′ cord, but it’s cheaper than a new cord or a fine.

Yes that is what I said, subject to review. The person that comes to the site does not give out the fines or tickets. Their job is to record what they see and turn in into their supervisor. They then call the owner in for the review.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.472 seconds