dcsimg

Safety Position and challanges.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

My favorite line from reading that was “Then he informed be the guys is a journeymen and if he cuts off a finger it is his problem.” I agree with you it is the supervisors job to make sure everyone is using the PPE required, or at least has it available! The supervisor willfully not providing the PPE could probably be grounds for a lawsuit if someone got injured…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This is what could happen

I can’t believe they went over 20 feet down without shoring.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is amazing with all the advances made in work site safety and then you see someone violate them and a preventable accident occurs. All safety procedures and protocols have at their root where someone was seriously injured or died and when looking at the lessons learned came up with a prevention protocol. I really doubt the hard hat was invented until someone was killed on a job site by a falling tool or brick. Someone then invented the hard hat to prevent that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is amazing with all the advances made in work site safety and then you see someone violate them and a preventable accident occurs. All safety procedures and protocols have at their root where someone was seriously injured or died and when looking at the lessons learned came up with a prevention protocol. I really doubt the hard hat was invented until someone was killed on a job site by a falling tool or brick. Someone then invented the hard hat to prevent that.

I’m still surprised that hard hats aren’t somehow braced to the torso to protect the neck (on a bearing to allow full range of movement, but block sudden knocks)

Also surprised the euro sliding table saws never caught on here. Forget saw stop and reaxx on the blade (although I would get that tech too probably) – their slider with half fence pretty much eliminates all kickback.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

This is what could happen

I can’t believe they went over 20 feet down without shoring.

well apparently with all the people there, none of them saw a problem or spoke up till the inspector got there, and the wall started to collapse

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

guess you made the right call..

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@Lakelover any updates, have they upped their compliance ?

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@r-ice
    No idea, I have not went back. Or talked to anyone.

But I doubt it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@r-ice

But I doubt it.

Over here if you take a pic and e-mail it to HIOSHA they have to respond….

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice

But I doubt it.

thats good, at least it won’t be pinned on you. I mean it sucks they are working like that but as they say you reap what you sow. so if they don’t believe in safety…….

I have seen both great and terrible safety officers over the years. The good ones get made scape goats just as fast as the bad ones.

Ultimately, I feel, safety comes down to the individual. I have worked in the safest plants in the country, and some of the worst and was never injured.

I broke both of my heels at a commercial floor covering business in 2010. Why did I get hurt? My own complacency.

I adopted the more lax safety habits of my employer. That was my own fault. I never sued and I work for him today. Great guy.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

I have seen both great and terrible safety officers over the years. The good ones get made scape goats just as fast as the bad ones.

Ultimately, I feel, safety comes down to the individual. I have worked in the safest plants in the country, and some of the worst and was never injured.

I broke both of my heels at a commercial floor covering business in 2010. Why did I get hurt? My own complacency.

I adopted the more lax safety habits of my employer. That was my own fault. I never sued and I work for him today. Great guy.

Hope you encouraged better habits from your experiences though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ultimately, I feel, safety comes down to the individual.

If the worker is untrained and doesn’t know it’s not safe how does it come down to the individual? Asbestos and agent orange come to mind first.

I wasn’t advocating workers not being trained in safety. I’ve plenty of people who were trained, but opt out of using that training.

When I worked in refineries, I knew they (the refineries themselves) didn’t care about my safety. So, I took the “you’re not gonna hurt me” approach. That worked out well for me.

But when I left and went back to a more relaxed environment I didn’t carry that philosophy with me. That’s when I let myself get hurt.

See, that was my own fault. I knew better than to let the boss lift me up on a pallet with the forklift. But, I did it anyway.

So, yeah, I feel ultimately safety is left up to the individual.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

Ultimately, I feel, safety comes down to the individual.

If the worker is untrained and doesn’t know it’s not safe how does it come down to the individual? Asbestos and agent orange come to mind first.

asbestos is bad… agent orange was a fun band…. met agent jay when he came here playing guitar with the slackers

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

agent orange was a fun band….

They would stop by and play here every 2 years or so but haven’t been by in about 3 years now…Good funn!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.639 seconds