dcsimg

Safety Position and challanges.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Need your advice.
    2nd day on a new very large residential project, I was hired to be the Safety person and general labor with many hundreds of ICF walls.

First day I was asked to do a full site assessment, which I did and wrote it up. Also listed Items missing such a Full Face sheild, hearing protection, fire extinguishers, dust masks, some signage etc and gave a list to the supervisor. including porta pottie, dumpster, garbage cans

Started putting up signage. There was an excavator on site still and large trucks coming and going.

There was a bunch of old rebar hanging from existing old piles and footings. With I ID’ed as a hazard.

Later in the day The safety manuels showed up and I read the first safety manual, polocy and procedure. One item I noted a Class A hazard was not using a full face shield when cutting rebar with a grinder.

The supervisor considered me reading the safety books as coffee time. and a long break at that.

The BI also showed up and asked who was in charge, so I took him to the supervisor and chated a tiny bit and asked for his card. Later the super was mad at me for something I said to him ???

So today we started doing a list given to me. like erecting barrier since the escavator was done. The barrier was not to code and in the P&P manual. I nicley mention this and was shot down.

I also got told I was not doing my job by not telling a the escavators wife she needed her PPE to be onsite, with I then diplomaticly did.

Later we had a safety meeting as per policy and the Project Manager showed up. We had a brief intro and we finished the meeting. Later the super and The PM came along and mentioned the rebar that needed cutting and I explaned I needed the face shield first but it was a priority as soon as I could get the gear. The PM never said anything to me.

Later the super came over and called me out for saying we did not have the PPE yet. I tried to expalian this is only day 2, but got cut off.

I then tried to ask if he had set up an account I could charge PPE to then he again cut me off. Mentioning he had not” Obviously ” had time to get anything and this was 2 big verbal gaffs in 2 days.? I they tried to explain that I am honest and will not try to BS the PM. Again I was cut short.?

So if my job is to cooridanate the safety, should he not let me go get the needed PPE etc, as part of my duty ? If they wanted a jobsite absolute ready to go Day One, should they not have given me an orientation and allowed at least a day to assess the PPE and get things in order. ? I have been waiting for over an month for this job to start.

I was originally approached by the super 2 months ago, over this job.

Should he have went and picked up the PPE yesterday, if he wants total control?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder if you are being set up as a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It seems like their words and actions are not in line with each other. All of the preaching and safety manuals in the world are not worth the paper they are printed on if management is not willing to “walk the talk”.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It seems like their words and actions are not in line with each other. All of the preaching and safety manuals in the world are not worth the paper they are printed on if management is not willing to “walk the talk”.

That’s what I read as well. I’d question their motives and ask if they want to do Your job. If you are constantly being pushed….you can’t get a thing done. Perhaps this isn’t the fit company to be working for?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Yup, it sounds like they hired a safety coordinator because they were required to have one, not because they gave a darn about safety….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I think safety should be a high priority on any job site. Anybody using a grinder should be wearing a face shield for sure. It is the law to inforce most of these safety rules. Maybe you should remind him of some of the fines that can be imposed on the worker/company for breaking these rules.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i just sent this thread to a friend who is a saftey officer in a very large construction company in calary, heres what she says

“They are trying to ensure they have their ducks in a row so they have someone to put the blame on should something go wrong. Hopefully he is documenting absolutely everything in a note book so if anything ever did happen before he realizes he should go work somewhere else, he will have it all documented.
    I’ll never work residential construction for that reason. It’s not worth it. Guys cut way too many corners and get away with more. Not everyone, but more often than not. It’s scary. And if you dot have support from your superintendent, forget it!”

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Sounds like it’s time to keep the voice recorder running on your phone.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Why? That’s only useful when he ends up fired because of this crap…I’d say you need to speak up about your concerns. If they don’t like you doing so, cut your ties and find another job.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Why? That’s only useful when he ends up fired because of this crap…I’d say you need to speak up about your concerns. If they don’t like you doing so, cut your ties and find another job.

Because they obviously hired him for show only and have no intention to hear the concerns (him being cut off multiple times when trying to). Better to cover your own butt just in case something actually goes wrong and they pin it on him for not doing his job.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@jkirk

i just sent this thread to a friend who is a saftey officer in a very large construction company in calary, heres what she says

Thanks a ton bud. Means a lot

That is what I feel.

Now how to tell them nice…..

Hopefully he is documenting absolutely everything in a note book so if anything ever did happen before he realizes he should go work somewhere else,

Yes as a retired RN I can document till the cows come home. But the Company notebook is the supers. Also on the list of things was photocopies of meetings, hazard assessment. first aid incident forms, etc. Explained these are a daily need. AKA need them ASP. Hint Make time of call the office and have them sent. Nothing new to them.

Sounds like you are in a no-win situation. How can you do the job with no support and their safety avoidance? Do you have other prospects to pursue?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You’re a safety stupiviser. Just a pawn to play a roll. Good luck with that.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah it is time to look for a new job, document everything or they’ll blame you for anything upcoming.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I was hired to be the Safety person and general labor

I’m used to a big company with a whole group doing nothing but Safety. You’re Safety and general labor? Which has priority?
    The Safety guy is universally disliked by all. By the workers for being a PITA seemingly out to get them for minor infractions. By management for costs that can’t be directly tied to the product.
    But no matter how many things he finds that gets everybody home in one piece every day, he’s the one on the line if something happens. Explain this! How did you miss this! Why wasn’t something done! Nobody was told?!
    Safety isn’t one person’s job – it’s everybody’s. It’s not an item-by-item thing, it’s a culture, just the way things are done.
    I agree with the others that say they needed someone to tag a title on. You have to be able to implement the changes you see as needed.
    Document the facts as you see them, plain and simple in a bound notebook (proves nothing torn out or added later).
    CYA.
    Good luck.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

2662.14 in reply to 2662.13

Thanks for all you thoughts.

I talked it over with DW last night. She agreed it seemed like a no win situation. Then we had a big kick ass thunder and lightning storm and the power was on and off.

So I slept in and went to call him and my cell phone was dead. I just plugged it in when the super phoned mad as hell. So he asked what’s up and I said it was not a good fit. Then tried to explain things, again I could not finish a sentence. Then the power went out again and lost the connection.

So about 30 minutes later he was at my door and I invited him and we sat down to talk. Well he had a bee in his bonnet and I tried to explain how a safety system was set up, to be proactive, not reactive. I should have had a prior orintation and ability to assess and purchase PPE before hand. That was tough due to many interuptions.

I also pointed out he was doing a Class A job with out the face shield, subject to immediate dismissal if caught and as super he was to lead buy example. Well that just got him plain old pissed at me and “everyone knows the job has to get done”. He accused me of working so slow he could have done everything I did in 1 hour (insult to me ) I explained what he thought was standing around as watching a carpenter using a tablesaw with no guard, making dubious cuts and trying to fiqure a better way to make the cuts. Then he informed be the guys is a journeymen and if he cuts off a finger it is his problem. At that I knew this guy new stink about the big picture.

Then he reminded me I was not working as hard a 20 year labourer ?. Dah am pushing 60 ?

Then asked about my last jobs but again I was interupted and could never finish a sentence. So He walked out mad. I was also mad about his inability to listen.

But after a few hours, I think I did the right thing, I can’t see how a very big construction outfit has less on the ball that the small team of us installing spray parks and playgrounds. BTW my boss on that job had accounts setup in every city and small town so we could purchase what was needed or left us cash.

You’re well to be away from that place then

I dont know anything about construction safety guys beyond what I can guess and what ive seen in other industries, but are you certified to do so? If so, does that body require that you report them for these violations? If so, could you be found negligent if something happens that you should have seen and reported while you were there? Are your credentials on the line.

Guys like that shouldnt be pissed on if they were on fire, but make sure your own name and reputation are safe.

Also seems you would be doing a favour to those working in those conditions who are at risk.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Yes I am qualified. Cert in OH&S and many years doing construction.

I have all my digits intact.

Also have saddly, had to do 1st aid on a few job sites, run by others.

I can proudly say, all the jobs I have ever run had 0 loss time to accidents.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

that whole situation is a gong show to be honest with you. regarding the table saw guard thing there are times when its just not possible to make certain cuts wiht a guard in place. there probably are jigs that can be made to make the cut but technically it has to be certified by a engineer or have a csa or osha stamp on it.

the biggest issue ive dealt with here with saftey officers is correct scaffold setups.. there are a handful of saftey officers who have told us our scaffold is incorrect but absotely nowhere in the csa manual in the scaffold section is there anything about how they have specd they want hte scaffold set up. one such time the guy told us that levelling legs arent allowed and the scaffold has to be perfectly level at ground level… not possible when you have a grade drop off of 2 ft

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Sounds like you are much better off, glad you got out of there before a bunch of bs was piled on your shoulders.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.700 seconds