dcsimg

Safety Glasses

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Spitting on your glasses works, same thing scuba divers do. Helps cut the fog more than say just wiping them with your sleeve.

Interesting idea, I guess it works for Scuba? I also heard that if you have glass lenses you can burn them with a lighter to reduce fog. Don’t try it unless its on a pair you don’t care about.

Glass is not used for safety glasses. It’s polycarbonate that’s used.

Before I had eye surgery , I couldn’t see close or far. Not blind,just majorly blurred. Anyway, shaving cream was a huge part of my everyday glass cleaning traditions. Kept the glasses from fogging.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Spitting on your glasses works, same thing scuba divers do. Helps cut the fog more than say just wiping them with your sleeve.

Interesting idea, I guess it works for Scuba? I also heard that if you have glass lenses you can burn them with a lighter to reduce fog. Don’t try it unless its on a pair you don’t care about.

Glass is not used for safety glasses. It’s polycarbonate that’s used.

I guess glass could shatter and that would not be a good scene. That tip is probably referring to normal glasses.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That tip is probably referring to normal glasses.

Most normal glasses are made of polycarbonate too because it’s a lot lighter.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

They should sell the safety glasses with 2 layers that you can peel off as it gets scratched. I can’t make glasses last longer than two weeks on site.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They should sell the safety glasses with 2 layers that you can peel off as it gets scratched. I can’t make glasses last longer than two weeks on site.

That’s strange??? Mine last for years. How do they get scratched when they are on your face all day long???Mine come off my face and into their case.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I wear them only when I’m swinging a hammer, using the grinder or using a demo hammer mostly. There are a few other times depending on the job. They go on and off, on and off. The best method that worked so far was using a glasses lanyard so I could wear them around my neck when not needing them

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that’s the problem. Safety glasses can’t work hanging around your neck.
    Why don’t you just leave them on your face?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

You need to stop wiping them off. Ether rinse or blow off the lenses. Wiping the dust off will scratch them.

Well that’s the problem. Safety glasses can’t work hanging around your neck.
    Why don’t you just leave them on your face?

That’s the only way they work.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just paid over 300$ for safety sun glasses and I better get more than two weeks!!
    My last pair lasted for 4 or 5 years.
    Yes this set of safety glasses is over 5 years old.

Attachments:
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow $300 for safety glasses? Must be a solid pair of shades! Mine never cost more than $20. Maybe I should re-evaluate this.

@Ronw
    Yes, I think you are correct, that when I wipe them they scratch.

I think you guys generally do wood though and I could see blowing off the glasses. Try doing masonry grinding or cutting for a day and you’ll see blowing off your glasses doesn’t work! When using a diamond blade, I’d rather be wipping my glasses to see properly then cutting off fingers or cutting into my boot.

A Working Pro since 2004

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

You make a good point utopia. I don’t do a lot of masonry work. And at $20 a pair I wouldn’t worry to much. But when you need prescription glasses and have to pay much more for them you will start finding ways to make them last longer.

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You make a good point utopia. I don’t do a lot of masonry work. And at $20 a pair I wouldn’t worry to much. But when you need prescription glasses and have to pay much more for them you will start finding ways to make them last longer.

Yup the RX safety glasses get expensive very fast.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Safety glasses are a must in the workshop and on the jobsite. In the workshop where I’m working alone I may take them off while doing layout work, but thats about it. On the jobsite, like your hard hat I think they should be worn at all times.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was lax about wearing them until I had something hit me in the lens hard enough one time that I saw a shooting star in that eye for a few weeks.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I was lax about wearing them until I had something hit me in the lens hard enough one time that I saw a shooting star in that eye for a few weeks.

Must have been quite the hit. I have been wearing my glasses more here lately. Nice not having to worry as much.

Ron

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Wow wow wow

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just got a nice pair of safety glasses from the supply house. They have built in led lights on the side. I will take a picture of them tomorrow to post.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I just got a nice pair of safety glasses from the supply house. They have built in led lights on the side. I will take a picture of them tomorrow to post.

Extra light is nice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Must have been quite the hit. I have been wearing my glasses more here lately. Nice not having to worry as much.

The head of a masonry nail. Hit me like someone punched me right in the eyeball. Now that I think about it, took about a month for the shooting star thing to go away. I can imagine what the outcome would have been had I not had the safety glasses on, if it did that with them.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.670 seconds