dcsimg

Safety Glasses

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 264 total)
  • Author

I usually end up wearing my Oakleys and worrying way too much about them lol.

I was wearing my Oakleys when I had some concrete explode into my face as I was burning weeds on my sidewalk. Was a brand new lens which I put into my SI M-Frame and using for the first time. Lens took the blast right where my eye would be. Didn’t even see it coming and my eye would have been open when it happened and if it weren’t for the Oakleys I wouldn’t have a left eye. I still use the lens and it’s a reminder to keep using it every time I see the divots on the lens.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

utopia78 wrote:
    I’m going to be doing some testing of various eye protection over the Summer
    How will you test them with out taking a shot to the eye??

Haha, not doing that. I will be buying a few different styles to see how comfortable they are and practical. Goggle style, Helmet Visor, regular safety glasses etc.

I wouldn’t do it either! I did take a Ricochet from a tico nailer right to the middle of the lens it did save my eye. I knoe 2 guys that can only see out of 1 eye from that gun.

Doobie

I was wearing my Oakleys when I had some concrete explode into my face as I was burning weeds on my sidewalk. Was a brand new lens which I put into my SI M-Frame and using for the first time. Lens took the blast right where my eye would be. Didn’t even see it coming and my eye would have been open when it happened and if it weren’t for the Oakleys I wouldn’t have a left eye. I still use the lens and it’s a reminder to keep using it every time I see the divots on the lens.

You got lucky man. Apparently one of the characteristics I did not mention in my previous post about having real poly script lenses is that they are in frames specific for them that unlike normal frames have the lenses such that should they get such a forceful blast are designed to pop outwards instead of potentially inward toward your eye/face like traditional lense frame designs.

Jummul
    Pro

You got lucky man. Apparently one of the characteristics I did not mention in my previous post about having real poly script lenses is that they are in frames specific for them that unlike normal frames have the lenses such that should they get such a forceful blast are designed to pop outwards instead of potentially inward toward your eye/face like traditional lense frame designs.

You got lucky @Maukarunner !

@Doobie
    thanks for the info, didn’t know that!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I did take a Ricochet from a tico nailer right to the middle of the lens it did save my eye. I know 2 guys that can only see out of 1 eye from that gun.

Sounds like you were very lucky that day! I wear mine a lot more now than I used to just because of some of the stories I have heard.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thank God for eyewear huh Eric???? The other day I “forgot” to put my glasses on whilst cutting some plastic on my KAPEX. Wrong composition for my blade and the plastic blew up. After I cleaned my underwear I put my glasses back on the trigger housing so I wouldn’t “forget” again. I’m glad your okay dude.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

The only time I ever wear them is if I am cutting metal , I never use them for cutting wood .

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only time I ever wear them is if I am cutting metal , I never use them for cutting wood .

I’ve been to have a metal taken out three times, so wear them religiously now around the stuff.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I did take a Ricochet from a tico nailer right to the middle of the lens it did save my eye. I know 2 guys that can only see out of 1 eye from that gun.

Sounds like you were very lucky that day! I wear mine a lot more now than I used to just because of some of the stories I have heard.

Ya, good thing it turned out ok Dirty! I wear my glasses all the time I’m using chipping or grinding tools and the hammer.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

After I cleaned my underwear

WAY TMI!!!!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thank God for eyewear huh Eric???? The other day I “forgot” to put my glasses on whilst cutting some plastic on my KAPEX. Wrong composition for my blade and the plastic blew up. After I cleaned my underwear I put my glasses back on the trigger housing so I wouldn’t “forget” again. I’m glad your okay dude.

That sounds like a good scare for sure Chris.

A Working Pro since 2004

Before that day I didn’t make conscious effort to use any safety glasses but now I do.

Jummul
    Pro

My wife laughs at me when I use safety glasses for everything from drilling to sanding lol.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

My wife laughs at me when I use safety glasses for everything from drilling to sanding lol.

Just remind her that if you getting blinded for not wearing them she better be able to carry you. 🙂

A Working Pro since 2004

Don’t think my wife will laugh at me. When I showed her the lens after the concrete blew up she was shocked. Pretty sure she wants me to use my safety glasses all the time.

Doobie

I recall watching the mandatory gross-me-out eye safety video every year in high school shop class whereby they would mention that while metals that get in the eye have an advantage in that they can be pulled using magnets, but wood could be a lot more difficult to extract in comparison. You may want to reconsider John.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I recall watching the mandatory gross-me-out eye safety video every year in high school shop class whereby they would mention that while metals that get in the eye have an advantage in that they can be pulled using magnets, but wood could be a lot more difficult to extract in comparison. You may want to reconsider John.

Well the two times I have had metal taken out of my eyes the used a Dremel looking tool. Not a magnet.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Well the two times I have had metal taken out of my eyes the used a Dremel looking tool. Not a magnet.

Wow! Just wondering how they did that using a dremel type tool. I would think a magnet would just reverse the direction of the metal going into your eye and it would come out.

I really hate it when working under a car and rusty metal falls into your eye. Sometimes even when wearing safety glasses the rust gets into your eye from the side.

Doobie

OK, let’s stop taking about eye injuries. I still get grossed out thinking of those videos I saw decades ago in high school. I’ve never had a strong stomach looking at surgery/operation stuff.

OK, let’s stop taking about eye injuries. I still get grossed out thinking of those videos I saw decades ago in high school. I’ve never had a strong stomach looking at surgery/operation stuff.

Sometimes a good kick in the butt helps people realize how important things can be. Took me a good blast to the face to realize how important safety glasses are. Just happy it didn’t take losing an eye to learn.

The other thing I should have leaned a while ago is hearing protection. Too late now.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.829 seconds