dcsimg

Safe use of a Tablesaw

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Some of the things I see the guys I work with doing on the table saw makes me cringe. Getting too familiar and confident with a tool is a bad thing when it comes to safety. I see guys ripping narrow little pieces of wood with just their fingers. As a general rule I grab the push sticks for anything 6″ or narrower.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I rip 1 inch strips of wood all day long without a push stick .I have done it that way for more than 450 birdhouses . I have never used push sticks and nor do I trust them .

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

That’s some serious confidence John. And you have all of your fingers still?

redwood
    Pro

I like that the little DeWalt that I have, stores the push stick on the side of the fence, so there is no reason to go hunting one down. If the stick wasn’t there, I probably wouldn’t go looking for one.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I am with Dan — if I get to within 5-6 inches of the blade I use a push block. I use the kind that has the grip on top and supports about 6 inches of material that you are ripping. The little fish-mouth push sticks I feel are not the best as you do not have a lot of control on the stock. I also have gotten in the habit of ripping to leave the left hand on the edge of the table when feeding stock — that way you never get close to the blade. Also, an outfeed table is a must. No need to reach for a cut to keep it from hitting the floor if it is supported. If something seems dangerous or you are not comfortable making the cut, find a different way to complete the task. Lots of ways to get from point a to point b in woodworking.

Orange County, CA

Another great piece of advice Scot. This was one of the first lessons in cutting wood I figured out – there is more than one way to do it. There are some great videos on the Fine Woodworking site on using table saws.

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

Scot, i 100% agree with the outfeed table. SO much so that I had forgotten to bring it up myself.
    As far as a pushstick, I use one whenever I feel the need for one. I use a homemade one as I do not like most the ones I see out there. Also, I don’t feel bad at all cutting into it if need be.

There have already been many great things said here on how to use a tablesaw safety… I found this article and felt like it had some pretty good advice in general and summarized general safe use of a table saw well

http://www.handymanclub.com/projects/articletype/articleview/articleid/6438/categoryid/2364/table-saw-safety-basics

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Here is a classic safety video that covers all sorts of table saw senarios. Also using a saw stop so this guy is super safe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice video Jason, I’m still a member of the 10 finger club

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I’ve also still got all my digits but still, every day I know to be cautious.
    An older friend of mine was distracted a few years ago and lost three.
    He called his son-in- law to take him to the hospital and while waiting he cleaned up the shop “so everything wouldn’t scare his wife.”
    Then he put his former fingers in a plastic baggie and went out front to sit on the curb and wait for his ride.
    Now thats what we call ‘old school guts’

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve also still got all my digits but still, every day I know to be cautious.<br>
    An older friend of mine was distracted a few years ago and lost three.<br>
    He called his son-in- law to take him to the hospital and while waiting he cleaned up the shop “so everything wouldn’t scare his wife.”<br>
    Then he put his former fingers in a plastic baggie and went out front to sit on the curb and wait for his ride.<br>
    Now thats what we call ‘old school guts’

How did that come out Did any of them get put back on?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the safety video Jason
    What’s a guard

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s a guard

I think it’s that clear plastic thing that if sat to the side it’ll work good for storing yer fingers in for the ER trip

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I thought the fingers were to be put on ice? It’s the teeth that go in milk.

I thought the fingers were to be put on ice?

Honestly, that would be kinda nice to know – can they reattach fingers? How long before it is too late? Do you need to put them on ice? haha… hopefully none of us have to put this knowledge into practice, but I’d love to know.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes the fingers can be reattached. I’ve worked with guys that have had them put back on. Yes they should be put on ice as soon as possible.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for the video Jason. I knew a few people that had some missing digits, most of them were partial. Goes to show you it doesn’t take much.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

He opted not to have them reattached (to short).
    But the rest of the story is he went blind 2 years later ( for those that may be confused- it had nothing to do with losing fingers) and attended a school where they taught him to use a table saw and he is still working in his shop.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been working with a oldtimer that has a few nubs. He would of had to have them put back on and hooked up to his midsection for 2 or 3 months for them to take because of his cigarette smoking. He did not have them put back on.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.675 seconds