dcsimg

Ryobi 18v cordless jig saw

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I picked one of these up this summer as frankly the price was right. With moving a so many hours at work I havent had a chance to try it yet. So with a free weekend and a couple days off next week due to bitter cold weather “-30 wind chills expected monday” I will test it. So here is the unboxing and initial thoughts.

First thing i noticed is that on the box it states the toolless blade change accepts T-shank and U-shank blades. However the manual states that the saw is designed for t-shank and other blades may not work well and may fall out. I did pick up some free after rebate u-shank blades from menards to try out so we will see.

The heft of this saw seems solid though once the battery is added it is back end heavy. I find that the safety feature is easily manipulated with the thumb but the handle is large and does not support the best grip. I am expecting it to cause some torque on the wrist trying to cut curves. As my corded Bosch does not have a laser I find this an interesting feature, though I will debate its usefulness. While it may be of some advantage on straight cuts it will be useless on any curves. Out of the box the laser is out of alignment but it can be adjusted so I will attempt that later. The base plate is adjustable 45 degrees in both directions with the included hex key. Out of the box it looks close but not square to the blade. The stops for this adjustment do not look very well designed and should not be relied on for precision work. There is on board blade storage however the plastic door does not stay closed so will be useless under any vibration during use. However this may still be handy during storage. No bag or case was included. 2 unmarked t-shank blades were included one for wood and one for metal. I expect nothing from these and will be sure to test with top quality Bosch blades as well

After initial observations I am not impressed, but then again I was not expecting much and at this price i should not complain much.

After initial observations I am not impressed, but then again I was not expecting much and at this price i shouldnt complain much.

I think you summed it up well. You got what you paid for. I am surprised it was as low as $25 though. That is a very low price.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

You can’t really go wrong for $25

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You can’t really go wrong for $25

I feel the same way. It cuts and it’s cordless. Has a laser too that might help me stay straight when using a jig saw. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should add the word ‘Jigsaw’ to the title…….Anyway it appears to have some nice not-so-cheapie features like orbital and a solid foot plate rather than the old stamped out steel type, The slanted back handle design has me a bit curious. And the laser is a neat addition IF it truly helps any LOL…..Nice review I hope it cuts ok, For the price it looks great but the proof is in the puddin for how it truly performs

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for the initial review and pictures. I have never been a fan or Ryobi but I am interested in your feedback after you used. And for 25$ that’s a good deal.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow $25? That’s cheaper than a dinner. Have had a bad taste for Ryobi every since I saw a couple guys on a site using the drills and thought it was cheap garbage. My initial reaction was that it was a Dewalt knock off lol. Thanks for the review, much appreciated!

A Working Pro since 2004

redwood
    Pro

I assume that you had the batteries and charger. If not the cost just went up.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I assume that you had the batteries and charger. If not the cost just went up.

Point well made.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Or when you have to redo your work because the tool is so cheap. That cost money and time.

A Working Pro since 2004

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Yes i have quite a bit of the ryobi. I bought the original 4pc kit 15+ years ago for a wire pole “acoustical ceiling install” I had needed a 1/2 drill and most were still 3/8. Surprisingly the drill was decent even for production work. The recip saw sucked, the circular saw is soso and the flashlight is fine. Since then I have continued to buy drill kits as at $99 for the drill and impact kit with batteries is more than worth the money. The original impact lasted me at least 2.5 years with day in day out constant use. Not bad as for the longest time this was about the life of batteries no matter what the brand. So getting a new impact, drill and two batteries for the cost of a single battery “name brand” was again a god deal. I would put the power and ability of the ryobi up against any brushed impact. Size and weight is where the ryobi will not stand up. Again used daily for commercial use — steel stud framing light and structural.

I have the following
    bosch 18v impact No 2600/min
    Makita white 18v No 2300/min 3200/ipm
    Ryobi green 18v No 2600/min 3200/ipm

This has obviously changed the last few years with advancements in impacts becoming smaller and lighter, batteries lasting more than two years and the price of name brand kits falling significantly. These factors are why I am finally looking to step up to name brand tools.

Having the kit i first bought the radio in 2008, for $40 it works great for an 18v unit. A couple of years ago I bought the $40 cutout tool “for cutting drywall” This tool is so so, great for patch work or small jobs. It will not hold up to a full days production work needing to replace the battery 3 or 4 times in 8 hrs. I have also bought the grinder for $20 when they clearance the blue for the replacement green. It works just fine for light grinding and cutting tasks. I would not use it for production or heavy work nor would i use any brand cordless. Again worth every bit of the $20 for the portability. In fact the only ryobi that i have bought that does not still work was the original impact “and of course batteries”. Looking at my registered tools on their site i bought the replacement impact in 2009 and its still running

monman1
    Pro

Looks like Ryobi has been good to you.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Well I finally had a chance to use this. Let me say I was not impressed. I will giving this away soon. The vibration of this little tool was a bit much. I also had trouble cutting, needing to really push which as you all know ruins the quality of the cut. Yes even with a Bosch progressor blade. The green version might be better but even at $25 this was not worth it.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

About 10 years ago, I bought one of the first generation Ryobi jig saws. I just wanted something to finish notches in stairs and rafters. I think I used it twice and gave it to my Father in law. He soon sold it at a garage sale. I am sure the newer ones perform much better. I have a Dewalt and a Ridgid, and both work fine for what I do.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Its not too often I ever hear anything good about Ryobi tools , Even for that price I don’t think I would buy one unless I really needed it at the time . I like buying tools cheap like anyone else but not Ryobi or jobmate 🙂

monman1
    Pro

Now we know dont buy the Ryobi 18v cordless jig saw.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Guess not all reviews have good outcomes

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Nope i have a bad habit of calling it like i see it. I guess that puts me at odds with many and probably why I am on the “non kool aid drinker” list here as well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.541 seconds