dcsimg

Rust Never Rest , What treatment do you use ?

This topic contains 65 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  gtaylor 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Here a utube video on rust removal . Im not sure if someone on bethepro has already but if they have here it’s again . Its really good I will be doing it.

Thanks for the video Gerald – definitely informative and helpful. Electrolysis can definitely be a solid way to remove rust, and you could hypothetically be less limited on the size of what you are restoring…

John S

18406ej
    Pro
    Keizer, OR

Using electrolysis is the least damaging way to remove rust, leaving only good metal behind versus the inevitable loss of solid metal caused by abrasive or acid removal methods.

The video above is useful, but overly complicated. I de-rust extremely corroded parts for my vintage Coleman restoration as follows: In a suitable plastic container (I use storage tubs) mix hot water with a small bit of regular baking soda. Tie a copper wire lead long enough to stick out of the tub to large parts, or affix the lead to a metal mesh grate and place small parts on top of the grate. Place any sort of steel bar into the tub, being careful that the steel does not touch the items to be cleaned. Affix the “negative” alligator clip of a car charger to the steel bar, and affix the “positive” clip to the copper wire. Turn the charger on, and you will soon see rust and grease residue gathering on the water surface. Keep an eye on the material that you are cleaning, removing and rinsing the part when it is at an acceptably clean state.

An interesting finish can be obtained on cleaned steel pieces by making a fresh batch of the above solution, but this time affixing the negative lead to the steel and affixing the positive lead to a piece of copper sheet or copper bar. When the copper transfer has reached a hue that you like on the steel remove the piece, gently rinse it well and dry it with compressed air. Seal the steel with an appropriate clear coat.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Welcome Eamon, Electrolysis is a good solution. In my first attempt I reversed my polarity and ended up causing rust, just one thing to look out for, but the system does work well. Interesting note on the finishes that you can get.

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Thanks for the easy verision . I will be experimenting with plated finishes on my granite an steel furniture . Like this one im working on . Copper plated could be interesting look .

Attachments:

My name is Gerald Taylor of Taylor made granite furnishings LLC . .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve always wanted to give this a try. Sounds very interesting. I love the look of some it with the different finishes.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

18406ej
    Pro
    Keizer, OR

Mattryyc,

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have a number of Canadian friends here in Oregon, and I am always nice to them despite their roots.

No, but seriously, my Parents arrived here in the US in the 1960’s from Ireland and England, and we do have a number of good friends in the Great White North. I am always nice to them despite their roots. My parents I mean, not the Canadians.

To The Dude and Gtaylor, I used to do TIG welding using copper plate to make light fixtures in the Arts and Crafts style. After receiving a Vagal Nerve Stimulator I had to give up the welding,as the electro-frequency given off by the TIG could damage the electronics. I never went back to any other welding method because I also did some metal art, using combinations of steel and copper, and the TIG method was the only one that I could find for fusing these two metals together.

At times I would want my steel to have a different hue, at which time I started to use the electroplating method. I only did this using a copper annode, but a I suppose brass or any other conductive metal such as nickel would work as well. This method is nowhere as strong as the methods used by actual plating shops, so the finish needs to be handled without scrubbing lest the plating comes off. I dry the rinsed copper-plated items using an air compressor and then clear-coat. I have also used a mild salt and vinegar solution mixed with a good bit of water in a misting bottle to achieve N instant verdigris.

And Gtaylor, I like your artistic furniture.

Sincerely,

Eamon

Gerald and Eamon, thanks. Very excited to try some of the ideas shared here, Gerald, you have some great ideas going with the furniture, but realy hope you post pictures of your wife’s bike as well.

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Mattryyc,

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have a number of Canadian friends here in Oregon, and I am always nice to them despite their roots.

No, but seriously, my Parents arrived here in the US in the 1960′s from Ireland and England, and we do have a number of good friends in the Great White North. I am always nice to them despite their roots. My parents I mean, not the Canadians.

To The Dude and Gtaylor, I used to do TIG welding using copper plate to make light fixtures in the Arts and Crafts style. After receiving a Vagal Nerve Stimulator I had to give up the welding,as the electro-frequency given off by the TIG could damage the electronics. I never went back to any other welding method because I also did some metal art, using combinations of steel and copper, and the TIG method was the only one that I could find for fusing these two metals together.

At times I would want my steel to have a different hue, at which time I started to use the electroplating method. I only did this using a copper annode, but a I suppose brass or any other conductive metal such as nickel would work as well. This method is nowhere as strong as the methods used by actual plating shops, so the finish needs to be handled without scrubbing lest the plating comes off. I dry the rinsed copper-plated items using an air compressor and then clear-coat. I have also used a mild salt and vinegar solution mixed with a good bit of water in a misting bottle to achieve N instant verdigris.

And Gtaylor, I like your artistic furniture.

Sincerely,

Eamon

Thanks Eamon , i will be trying those finishes along with using tig to weld copper an steel together .
    I’ve always done stick an mig never tried tig .
    But there are some real advantages to tig welding .
    Later I will post some grinder textures an patterns on steel . I’ll make it a new thread an see what kind ideas accidental or purposes treatments others in the community have came up with . As I’m sure you know sometimes just a simple texture treatment can really take the work to another level .
    Glad you’ve joined us .

Attachments:

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

I was talking to an old timer about rust an treatment . He said take a dirty rusty bolt or tool an leave it in water for a few weeks an see what happens . Also he said if that doesnt work leave it in a few more weeks . He said given time water has a penetrating an cleaning effect . I just laughed to myself . But I found a 10″ cresent buried in my shop driveway thats been there for years ,it was deeply pitted an rusted . So I took a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water an forgot about it for a couple of weeks an then checked it . To my amazement the rust an dirt had fell off , knurls on the finger adjustment were clean an there . The jaw moved on its on without banging it . The wheel wouldn’t turn an move the jaw yet . I’m going to leave it in a couple more weeks . if it doesnt move I will add penetrating oil an bang on it . But he was right in this case .
    Here’s a before picture an a after a couple of weeks . Again no brushing or cleaning done .

Rob often has some really solid articles on his site, and here is a recent one about dealing with rust that is worth a glance (and he often has good pics, which is nice)

http://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/how-to-keep-rust-off-woodworking-tools.html

John S

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Great article . But shop humidity for me is hard to get away from .

Wow…some great info and tips! I would like to try the electrolysis method sometime.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Rust converter works to stop rust. Loc-Tite makes a spray they get sprayed on and it turns the rust black into an inert substance. Then you can paint over it or leave as is.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

This is just another version of a tank using a5 gallon bucket .Going to build a simple electrolysis tank for rust removal today . Heres a link if anyone is interested . http://1bad6t.com/rust_removal.html . My tank is going to be 25 gallon .http://1bad6t.com/images/rust/rust_0857.jpg

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

This is just another version of a tank using a5 gallon bucket .Going to build a simple electrolysis tank for rust removal today . Heres a link if anyone is interested . http://1bad6t.com/rust_removal.html . My tank is going to be 25 gallon .http://1bad6t.com/images/rust/rust_0857.jpg

@gtaylor,
    If you can get your hands on Graphite Rods, they are the second best material to use as a sacrificial anode.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it comes out. With a 25 gallon tank you will be able to de-rust some pretty big items.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just read this thread thanks to the post bump by theamcguy, and I have tried electrolysis on an old plane with OK results, I like was not confident enough to just let it go, I will have to revisit and the idea of simple electroplating copper has me thinking of some fun stuff.

W

Will

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

I thought I would try it on a couple of rusty squares an some hardware from a 77 ford bronco that’s in the works . There’s always the bead blaster to clean it up .

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

@gtaylor,
    If you can get your hands on Graphite Rods, they are the second best material to use as a sacrificial anode.
    Thanks will inquire about some graphite rods . What’s the first ? A

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thanks will inquire about some graphite rods . What’s the first ? A

Platinum.. http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/anode_positive_electrode_p9.shtml

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.625 seconds