dcsimg

Router templates

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

That’s a smart way to ensure that the left and right side are identical…but how do you actually execute it?

Do you just flip the pattern over as you cross midline and continue with the pattern bit? Is there any concern that you’ll damage the work piece as you switch from left to right (as the pattern can only be in one place at once).

@jponto07
    , not sure if I was clear above. The flipping one half of the first template to template route the second half is to create the ‘final template’ which needs no flipping with the actual blank.

When it comes to routing the prepared blank, I’ll use a bottom bearing trim bit in the table, a combo top/bottom bearing trim bit in a hand-held router for anything I think might blow out on the table, etc.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The Router Raizer on one of the M12V’s, a WoodPecker “PlungeLift” on the other.

I end up using the Router Raizer more often than not as I can make my own plates for it.

Oh man that’s the power house 3¼ HP Hitachi router. Hitachi makes some killer routers.

MTRoads
    Pro

I end up using the Router Raizer more often than not as I can make my own plates for it.

Oh man that’s the power house 3¼ HP Hitachi router. Hitachi makes some killer routers.

Agree, those Hitachi’s are more than capable of turning panel raising bits. Short of having my shaper setup – those are my goto routers for the large router bits. Would like to find one or two more, but all I can seem to find are the new models.

Stan

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Agree, those Hitachi’s are more than capable of turning panel raising bits. Short of having my shaper setup – those are my goto routers for the large router bits. Would like to find one or two more, but all I can seem to find are the new models.

You know you can set up E-Bay to sent you a notice every time one comes up for sale. Are those older made in Japan models?

MTRoads
    Pro

You know you can set up E-Bay to sent you a notice every time one comes up for sale. Are those older made in Japan models?

Yes on the older models, and I already have E-bay notices for the other routers I’m collecting. Once I have filled the stable with those – then I will move on to the older Hitachi’s.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

This is the router I currently have ebay notices for. Can pick them up quite often in the $30 range. I would like to have 2 more of them.
    1/4″ collet, but handy to have set up for dedicated bits when doing small tasks – just grab it and go.

Stan

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This is the router I currently have ebay notices for. Can pick them up quite often in the $30 range. I would like to have 2 more of them.
    1/4″ collet, but handy to have set up for dedicated bits when doing small tasks – just grab it and go.

That’s a great plunge router. It’s amazing that can be gotten for 30 bucks.

MTRoads
    Pro

That’s a great plunge router. It’s amazing that can be gotten for 30 bucks.

They don’t stay at that price point very often, but I will put in my max bid on a number of them. Every once in a while I can get one that way. Not in any rush so I can wait out the bidding. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Just thought I would add a bit more info on why I like having a few of these around. The trigger is on the handle and very easy to use – even one handed much like a trim router.

The depth rod makes sneaking up on a trim or other routing task quite easy.

Again, 1/4″ shank only but there are many tasks that are easily handled with 1/4″ shank bits. I keep a 1/4″ round-over bit in one, and a 3/8″ round-over bit in another. The third one gets changed to whatever other task comes up.

Stan

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.447 seconds