dcsimg

Router Table Sled Jig

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have always just butted t-track together and never had any problems with it. I’m running 8′ or 12′ of it. Need to double check the length, but it is more than most use I think.

John S wrote:
    An aside – sorry Jason… is there a way to link up multiple lengths of t-tracks together? Like some sort of connector per se…?
    John, t-track simply butts up end to end. However if you want to intersect t-track, Rockler has this kit:

Well I get that… but I was thinking of different times when it would be nice to not have the t-track screwed in (which is how you get it to butt end to end tightly I am sure) – but to have it lose for the sake of transportation/switching purposes – specifically, like my parallel guides… I could just join two 24” lengths of t-track together when I needed to make them longer…

I suppose I could just buy longer t-track as well πŸ™‚

John S

Are you not setting the t-track into a groove that has been cut into some kind of material be it mdf, plywood, or laminate on particle board? If you don’t want to screw them in the groove how about double-sided tape?

Are you not setting the t-track into a groove that has been cut into some kind of material be it mdf, plywood, or laminate on particle board?

Correct. It is for this:
    http://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/parallel-guide-system-for-incra-t-track-plus

John S

OK got it. I say try double sided masking tape for woodturners. It holds way better than you think it can. Normally does not hurt the wood but you could pull some grain.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have been using a good 3m double sided in the shop lately and there is no substitute. I also am going to pick up some carpet tape to keep my MDF fence secured to the miter saw.

OK got it. I say try double sided masking tape for woodturners. It holds way better than you think it can. Normally does not hurt the wood but you could pull some grain.

I’m not sure I am following… Are you saying to tape the t-track to the wood? I am not hoping to do that either… haha… :\ :\ I mean I want to simply keep two pieces of t-track locked together.

It might just be the fact that it is late and I am easily confused πŸ™ sorry haha

John S

No I’m confused because I understand you do not want to use the t-track inside a groove but on top of the wood. You do not want to fasten the t-tracks to the wood but want a connector to hold 2 together end to end. It must mean then that it does not matter about anything traveling in the t-track itself or limited areas of travel, correct? It that is so, then you would want a connector that fits inside the 2 tracks at the joint that allows you to have a solid connection. So, would a piece of aluminum bar that fits the inside of the track work if you drill and tapped the track ends and the bar and then screwed the pieces together? The aluminum should be easy to tap.

So, would a piece of aluminum bar that fits the inside of the track work if you drill and tapped the track ends and the bar and then screwed the pieces together? The aluminum should be easy to tap.

Exactly! haha πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I was hoping such an accessory might already be in existence but I can always make it without too much trouble like you said…

Man – I derailed this one – sorry guys :\

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Man – I derailed this one – sorry guys :\

I thought that you were just working out another Jig for your router table?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

When you guys are making a jig for patterns have you considered making the clamping portion of the jig able to be bolted on and off? I just can’t stomach investing $35 in each jig so that it can have its own set of toggle clamps.

Jason, I am not sure what you are getting at. When I use a pattern to duplicate, it is placed on the wood that I want to rout. I almost always just use double sided tape to make sure it is secure. You can also shoot a couple of brads in the right place too. From there I would use a pattern bit with the appropriate top or bottom bearing to rout the profile It could be on or off the router table but when off you need clearance and a solid grip on something so clamps come into play there. I try to remove as much material as possible with a band saw or jig saw first. I have a jig with toggle clamps I made to hold small pieces to avoid endangering the fingers.

Some other thoughts which you may have down pat already, remember to use a starter pin on the router table to support your piece. Also remember right to left on the router table on the outside of a piece is the general rule. The opposite if routing on the inside of a piece (a hole) on the table. Left to right using a hand-held router on the outside. The reverse on the inside. Did I confuse you?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The double sided tape trick works for me. used up lots today making a template jig so I can make more inserts for my router base…then I dropped it on the floor and need to start over.

The right to left on the table is an important tip!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Jason, I am not sure what you are getting at

Sorry I was really convoluted in my description. I have seen a lot of guys that have a long pattern jigs in their tables like the pic I posted from Fine Woodworking. Some guys make the clamps on a removable piece so they can put them on various jigs. Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

Attachments:

That kind of jig is exactly what I was talking about for small (narrow) pieces. For larger pieces that you are pattern routing the doubled sided tape works fine.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I typically screw my clamps on so I can remove them and use them on something else.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.436 seconds