dcsimg

Router Pantograph Jig

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Anyone use a router pantograph jig?

I’ve seen some for sale and instructions on how to build some. I’m very interested in hearing what you have to say about this jig..

Pat

I don’t use one, but this guy always has some amazing stuff (when it comes to homemade jigs/machines) and his pantograph seems pretty sweet as well

http://woodgears.ca/pantorouter/index.html
    http://woodgears.ca/reader/pantograph/router.html

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen them but never used them, I think it would be fun to experiment with one.

Would like to know more about them.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I found this video on YouTube of a guy’s homemade pantograph. Looks kind of interesting. And I found a commercial pantograph on Amazon and a few other sites.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JEOMPU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p469_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YWHVRJP19F09N4EVS2P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No. Never seen one,

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like pantograph anythings, They’re so cool what they can do. A friend used to have one with a plasma cutter and an electric eye that would follow a pencil line. The possibilities are endless with what you can make,

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

The Milescraft seems to be the go-to pantograph jig. It’s pretty darn reasonably priced. But I think it might be fun to make one. But for the price of the Milescraft, it might not make serious sense not to buy one.

Pat

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

If I were to buy one, I would go with the one the Woodgears partnered up on, it has some really good reviews. It would be fun to build yourself, I wouldn’t have the time or patience though for that kind of detail work.

http://woodgears.ca/pantorouter/kuldeep/buy.html

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

If I were to buy one, I would go with the one the Woodgears partnered up on, it has some really good reviews. It would be fun to build yourself, I wouldn’t have the time or patience though for that kind of detail work.

http://woodgears.ca/pantorouter/kuldeep/buy.html

Looks like a nice one. But the Milescraft is more within my budget, LOL. It’s less than fifty bucks. It would probably be good for some small 3-D work and maybe some DIY stuff. I think your woodgears pantograph is geared more for production work, isn’t it?

Pat

But the Milescraft is more within my budget,

My brother-in-law and I saw Milescraft at one of the woodworking shows and bought one over a year ago. We have yet to use it…

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Looks like a nice one. But the Milescraft is more within my budget, LOL. It’s less than fifty bucks. It would probably be good for some small 3-D work and maybe some DIY stuff. I think your woodgears pantograph is geared more for production work, isn’t it?

That’s a good deal, had no idea it was that affordable. I think the woodgears one is more of a Festool-esque item, makes sense for production or for paying for itself over time, or if you’re a hobbyist who just has to have it and has the means.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

You guys know I’m playing with my new router and router table. 🙂
    Well, I’m studying Patrick Spielman’s Router Handbook and finding lots of cool information in the book. He had mentioned a Sears Router Crafter, which does some cool turnings better than a lathe, so the author says. When I looked for this tool online, I ran into information on the pantograph.

It’s amazing what a router can do!!

Pat

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t believe a router could turn things better than a lathe, It’s kind of apples & oranges there but I do like what a router can do for sure….It sounds like you’re really enjoying yours. I can’t wait to get into a ‘real’ router table, So study it up for us. I’ll have questions later 🙂

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The Sears Router Crafter will cut spirals into a turning and flutes and things like that that you cannot do on a lathe. Both have their place and strengths and weaknesses.

here is a lathe using a router instead of a chisel.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I don’t believe a router could turn things better than a lathe, It’s kind of apples & oranges there but I do like what a router can do for sure….It sounds like you’re really enjoying yours. I can’t wait to get into a ‘real’ router table, So study it up for us. I’ll have questions later :)

I’m certainly not claiming that a router could turn things better than a lathe, but I had mentioned that this was the author’s opinion. I was wondering what you guys thought and sound like you’re more into fruit 🙂 🙂 J/K

Yes, I’m enjoying the learning process with the router and table. I just finished attaching the router to the table. Took a lot of courage, LOL. So, next step is attaching the fence. Then in a couple of weeks I should be moving on to the big step – Attaching A BIT!! And then I’ll graduate to Router 102 – Making a Cut!!

So, I think I might be able to answer some questions maybe in 2016, if you can wait that long! 🙂

Edit: Oh, and I thought I’d mention that maybe, just maybe I might start learning about lathes in about 20 years. That would put me close to 90 years old, so you can get back to me at that time and ask any questions you have for me about lathes. Right now I can’t even tell you what they look like 🙂

Pat

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Pat. I’ve never heard of a pantograph. It’s an nice concept.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

You’re welcome, Sven.

Oh, here’s a riddle for you guys: What did the toolaholic do when she found out about a new tool?

Of course! The answer is: She bought the pantograph!! LOL.
    Now, I don’t know if I’ll ever use it, but it seems cool. Could there be a better reason to buy a tool for a toolaholic? 🙂

Pat

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Of course! The answer is: She bought the pantograph!! LOL.

Well, you better give us a video of that then, I don’t think that pictures will dumb it down enough for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Sears Router Crafter will cut spirals into a turning and flutes and things like that that you cannot do on a lathe. Both have their place and strengths and weaknesses.

here is a lathe using a router instead of a chisel.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/he3CDqJhBNY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I think I’ve seen that set-up once before in here months ago, That guy scares me though. He is so fast with the freehanded rough cuts, I think I held my breath for the first half of that video til he got into the finer stage with the jig LOL. I love the idea of using a router instead of a chisel. Perhaps cuz the tool is mounted instead of freehanding a chisel, that always looked so dangerous to me. maybe because my background is in metal lathes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.506 seconds