dcsimg

Router Dust Collection

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

I just added the Bosch 1617EVSPK router kit to my router collection and I was wondering if anyone has tried the RA1173AT dust collection kit for it? If so is it effective and does it or the hose get in the way? I’ve never used dust collection while free hand routing which makes for good mobility but not so nice when it makes clouds of dust.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i havent used dust collection for free handing with the router but have with my orbital sander.. the hose is kinda restricting for motion i find . you have to plan the angle you come at the workpiece so you dont have the hose disconnect from the tool

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

Yeah I’ve had the hose get in the way with the sander lots of times…if the dust attachments for the router actually work well I was going to come up with a solution for the hose. I don’t want to buy the kit though if it’s not that effective to begin with.

Dan

danpattison.com

Agreed the hose is n the way
    But dust flies all over. I know its not Safe
    But I have a small fan next to me when I use
    My router on a continuous basis

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I just wanted to respond back to this thread to let those DWP611 Dewalt router onwers out there. If you have the plunge base, there is a dust collection accessory out there that i recently purchased and it works fantastic! Its the DNP616, i tried the router with and without it. Without it, as you would expect dust everywhere as if your vac exploded. With it, you wouldnt even know someone was routing in the area. So much less dust it’s amazing. All i had to do was brush off a few clumps of dust that got stuck under the base from in the groves i was cutting. Very pleased and wanted to share that. Perhaps i’ll try the fixed base attachment next.

woodman_412

Thanks for sharing Nick. Did you find that having a hose attached to the router limited you at all or got in the way?

Dan

danpattison.com

I have not seen any videos of the particular dust collection kit you mentioned dan, but most of the dust hoods I have seen make it really hard to see what you are working with

Nick- how is the visibility of your dewalt router with the dc?

John S

woodman_412

John, visibility is definitely a big concern with the dust collection too. If you can’t see what you’re doing and the hose tugs the router and ruins the cut then it’s not worth having. I would rather clean up dust than have my cuts or safety compromised. I would like to give the Bosch attachments a try for myself though to see how they perform. It sounds like Nick has found a winner though with his DeWalt.

Dan

danpattison.com

It definitely sounds like it is worth it assuming safety and visibility are not hindered. I think this is an area Festool is supposed to excel in.

John S

woodman_412

Yeah I’ve seen some videos of the Festool routers in action and the dust collection seems to work very well. I just couldn’t bring myself to pay that kind of money for a router when the Bosch would do everything I needed it to do at a fraction of the price and still be great quality. The dust collection kit runs around $30 I think on amazon so I might give it a shot at some point.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Dan, i actually have a long narrow hose attached to my vac and so it wasnt too heavy. I didnt really notice a difference with the hose attached, or it wasnt enough to make a big deal. I really was pleased with how much dust it picked up i would probably tolerate other downfalls if there were any such as a heavy hose or something but the work quality did not suffer due to vision impairment or accessory weight.

John, with the plunge base, there is almost no loss in visibility with this router and attachment.

FYI, the attachment was about $8.00 – and well worth it. 5 stars for visibility, 5 stars for dust collection, 5 stars for price. Cant beat it.

Dan, i was inspired by something you said about making some sort of contraption to hang a hose line for the router perhaps. It got me thinking that if that was a concern, i could mount the hose line on an overhead hanger that can move with you even if it is a few inches with ease. I may try this in the future.

I am impressed to hear that Nick… do you just leave the attachment on full time now?

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, it’s not obstructing my view, it still fits in it’s house, life is good.

good deal, good deal. If Dan doesn’t like the Bosch dust collection I think I might try me some yellow

John S

woodman_412

Sounds like you found a winner Nick. Yeah it wouldn’t be hard to rig up a suspension system for the hose if need be. What kind of cuts were you making with the router when you had it hooked up to the vac?

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Just some random pattern to test it out.

woodman_412

Plunge cuts or edge cuts?

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Plunge, since thats the one i could test out the plunge base dust collector attachment with. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.491 seconds