dcsimg

Router Bit Storage

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Anyone have storage solutions they would like to add to this thread?

This was a link on the first page of this thread I posted. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-5001/storage_and_organization

These work great, no corrosion, and quite flexible to use. Ready made and low cost too.

I need to get some of this. I have a drawer full of bit’s just waiting to be organized.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am wondering if some ridged foam insulation board would work good with holes bored in it to hold the bits?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Mine are in red oak…no issues with the shanks showing signs of corrosion after about 2 years.

Well that’s no longer the case!

After a couple a minor flooring events this summer and super high humidity in the shop because of it, quite a few of the bit shanks are lightly corroded…and difficult to pull out of the bored holes!

Additionally, my table side storage box is maxed out, so I need a new solution.

I’m contemplating rebuilding the same general design, just taller and deeper. This would allow more shelves and potentially a 3rd row of bits per shelf.

Here is what mine currently looks like.

Sorry to hear about corrosion, Jon.

In my new router stand, I went with the NYW overall plan including the drawers for bit storage. Basically they are 3/4″ Baltic Birch drilled through for 1/4 or 1/2″ bits then backed with 1/4″ ply. 4 drawers in all for bit storage. There are a total of 44 spaces in each drawer.

Shop is unheated unless I am working there and so far, no corrosion and no binding of the bit shanks.

The stand was finished in October, so I guess it’s too soon to know if there will be a corrosion problem but, so far so good.

Mine are in red oak…no issues with the shanks showing signs of corrosion after about 2 years.

Well that’s no longer the case!

After a couple a minor flooring events this summer and super high humidity in the shop because of it, quite a few of the bit shanks are lightly corroded…and difficult to pull out of the bored holes!

Additionally, my table side storage box is maxed out, so I need a new solution.

I’m contemplating rebuilding the same general design, just taller and deeper. This would allow more shelves and potentially a 3rd row of bits per shelf.

Here is what mine currently looks like.

Sorry to hear about corrosion, Jon.

In my new router stand, I went with the NYW overall plan including the drawers for bit storage. Basically they are 3/4″ Baltic Birch drilled through for 1/4 or 1/2″ bits then backed with 1/4″ ply. 4 drawers in all for bit storage. There are a total of 44 spaces in each drawer.

Shop is unheated unless I am working there and so far, no corrosion and no binding of the bit shanks.

The stand was finished in October, so I guess it’s too soon to know if there will be a corrosion problem but, so far so good.

That is a very nice router table. What kind of insert plate do you have in it. I like the pull router bit storage. If you had problems with corrosion you fasten a piece of UHMW to the drawer. Simple fix!
    I have been wanting build to a router wing for my table saw. I would like some storage under for router bits, saw blades etc.

This was a link on the first page of this thread I posted. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-5001/storage_and_organization

These work great, no corrosion, and quite flexible to use. Ready made and low cost too.

That is a good idea.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I am wondering if some ridged foam insulation board would work good with holes bored in it to hold the bits?

I don’t see why not. Just drill the diameter of the shank and away you go.

I don’t see why not. Just drill the diameter of the shank and away you go.

It should

Id go a hair undersize to get a friction fit

Of just buy the Lee Valley holders and screw them to something

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That is a very nice router table. What kind of insert plate do you have in it. I like the pull router bit storage. If you had problems with corrosion you fasten a piece of UHMW to the drawer. Simple fix!
    I have been wanting build to a router wing for my table saw. I would like some storage under for router bits, saw blades etc.

Thanks, Greg. The table, insert plate and fence are Freud (thank you kijiji). The stand is based on Norm Abrams NYW design which has been copied and modified more times than I can count. It works very well for me, dust collection is superb and there is space for all my routers and accessories.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks, Greg. The table, insert plate and fence are Freud (thank you kijiji). The stand is based on Norm Abrams NYW design which has been copied and modified more times than I can count. It works very well for me, dust collection is superb and there is space for all my routers and accessories.

Hey your welcome. Way to go on the Kijiji find. Yes I have seen many of Norm’s designs. Good hear the dust collection is superb. I have heard that it can be problem on router tables.

Greg

I use the Lee Valley bit racks: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49890&cat=1,43326
    I currently have them mounted to a wall, but I am thinking of moving them to a horizontal surface, maybe in a drawer. I found my shop made ones allowed the shanks to rust where they contacted the wood.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I don’t have that many bits, so I just drilled 1/2″ and 1/4″ holes into a piece of scrap lumber and it sits in an old dresser drawer. Nothing fancy, but it works and keeps everything from banging into each other. I also have a set from Grizzly that I just kept in the box it came in.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I would get my router bits a more organized. I have some that came in boxes as sets and some single bits that came in little plastic cases. I have both sizes too.

Greg

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

With the Colt in my shop and the 1615 coming in, I can see my bit collection starting to grow.
    I will have to think about what I want to do in the way of storage. I don’t have many bits right now.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

With the Colt in my shop and the 1615 coming in, I can see my bit collection starting to grow.
    I will have to think about what I want to do in the way of storage. I don’t have many bits right now.

Except for a handful of standard ones, my experience has shown me to only buy them as you need them. Don’t buy them on clearance, nor in those kits big honkin’ kits. You’ll end up with a bunch of bits you’ll never use.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I agree buy as you need them. When I got my 1st router I bought a 15 pcs kit. I think I have used maybe 4 bits out of the kit. I have 2 4 pc 1/2 & 1/4 shank round over kits. The smaller kits are nice to have and I did buy them on sale.
    Except for a handful of standard ones, my experience has shown me to only buy them as you need them. Don’t buy them on clearance, nor in those kits big honkin’ kits. You’ll end up with a bunch of bits you’ll never use.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I agree buy as you need them. When I got my 1st router I bought a 15 pcs kit. I think I have used maybe 4 bits out of the kit. I have 2 4 pc 1/2 & 1/4 shank round over kits. The smaller kits are nice to have and I did buy them on sale.

I have had very good luck buying routers on kijiji that come with bits. The last one, a PC 690 plunge router came with 10 or 15 1/2″ bits including a new LV rail and stile set. Price for the whole works was less than the door set alone.

I agree, when you find you need a bit, go buy it. Chances are you will need it again. The big sets are really not a good deal.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here’s my little set up. My collection is pretty random since a lot of the bits I got to start were given to me by an older woodworker who was downsizing his shop. So what he had to get rid of was primarily HSS bits. They still work alright, but anything I’ve add has been carbide (of course).

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.725 seconds