dcsimg

Router Bit Storage

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

But isn’t phenolic plastic somewhat expensive? I would be looking still at a wood solution that works over using phenolic plastic for this myself.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But isn’t phenolic plastic somewhat expensive? I would be looking still at a wood solution that works over using phenolic plastic for this myself.

Even it is expensive it would be nice to protect the tools and prevent moisture transfer or swelling.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

For router bit storage, I dedicated a drawer to router ‘pieces and parts’. Cut a piece of 3/4″ BB ply and drilled a series of 1/2″ and 1/4″ holes for the bits to hold them upright.

Works well so far, only issue is that the bits are sometimes hard to get out due to the size of the holes being the same diameter as the bits. Might re-do it one of these days and drill the holes 1/32″ over, if the bits get ‘wobbly’ I can add a second sheet of 3/4″ ply to make the holes a bit deeper.

I did that a while back and found that there was a reaction with the plywood causing corrosion on the shanks. Maybe it was storage conditions, I’m not really sure, but I am using plastic sleeves to hold the bits now.

I found the same thing with bits being hard to get out of the drilled holes.

Interesting problem. I have stored my bits in wood with drilled holes for years and it has never come up. I think I used something dry and stable, though, like scrap hard maple or something. I am glad you brought it up, since it could definitely be a problem for some.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

So far, the few 1/2″ shank Bosch bits I got for points are in the little bags they come in with the info tag on them. They are in a plastic tray on a shelf. The 1/4″ bits that I got with the old router from my dad are in a little plastic case. Not the best solution, but I have not fully figured out how I am going to integrate the router into my shop. Once things get sorted out I will figure out a better way. I do have a block of UHMW I could cut a slab off of as a holder in the bottom of a drawer. Wait and see so far.

Excellent idea Jim, might have to visit the local plastics store to see what they have in 3/4″ to 1″ stock. They made me a great deal from their left-over stock for router plates and such.

that is a good idea, get the end cuts or something to get a better place. i’ll have to look for a plastics place near my area instead of traveling in to the city to get it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine are in red oak…no issues with the shanks showing signs of corrosion after about 2 years.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

So far, the few 1/2″ shank Bosch bits I got for points are in the little bags they come in with the info tag on them. They are in a plastic tray on a shelf. The 1/4″ bits that I got with the old router from my dad are in a little plastic case. Not the best solution, but I have not fully figured out how I am going to integrate the router into my shop. Once things get sorted out I will figure out a better way. I do have a block of UHMW I could cut a slab off of as a holder in the bottom of a drawer. Wait and see so far.

Excellent idea Jim, might have to visit the local plastics store to see what they have in 3/4″ to 1″ stock. They made me a great deal from their left-over stock for router plates and such.

that is a good idea, get the end cuts or something to get a better place. i’ll have to look for a plastics place near my area instead of traveling in to the city to get it.

I got my UHMW at Forest City Surplus. If you have a surplus store near you, don’t forget to check them out. It is surprising what you can find in there for cheap. Also, you can grab a cheap plastic cutting board for the kitchen from a discount/dollar store or Walmart or something, pretty much the same material.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I got my UHMW at Forest City Surplus. If you have a surplus store near you, don’t forget to check them out. It is surprising what you can find in there for cheap. Also, you can grab a cheap plastic cutting board for the kitchen from a discount/dollar store or Walmart or something, pretty much the same material.

forest city surplus sounds so very familiar, isn’t that a Canadian retailer? Also buying kitchen cutting boards from restaurant supply store seems like a brilliant idea.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@jimdaddyo
    Haven’t heard that name in almost a decade. I take it Forest City is still around? Located in London.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

@jimdaddyo,
    Haven’t heard that name in almost a decade. I take it Forest City is still around? Located in London.

Yes, they are on Dundas St. between Highbury and Clark (I think at First St.) in the east end. They have an outlet in Stratford too, or is that K-W Surplus?, either way, surplus stores (K-W surplus is based in Kitchener/Waterloo) are a good place for some (SOME) bargains. As always, you have to pay attention to what is offered at what price. I also buy my casters from there and various other doodads.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Depends on how good you can barter I would think. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

You guys are aware that LV carries it I assume.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=32045&cat=3,43576,32045

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I wasn’t and have looked for a source for awhile, Thank you nice find Kevin.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@jimdaddyo,

Yes, they are on Dundas St. between Highbury and Clark (I think at First St.) in the east end. They have an outlet in Stratford too, or is that K-W Surplus?, either way, surplus stores (K-W surplus is based in Kitchener/Waterloo) are a good place for some (SOME) bargains. As always, you have to pay attention to what is offered at what price. I also buy my casters from there and various other doodads.

K-W Surplus is usually on my list when I go to K-W. Prices for UHMW there are pretty good. The range of sizes available varies though.

These holders are a good alternative as well.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=50697&cat=1,46168,69435,46180

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah i ended up picking up two runners from lee valley but would’ve been cheaper if i bought the whole sheet.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine are in red oak…no issues with the shanks showing signs of corrosion after about 2 years.

Well that’s no longer the case!

After a couple a minor flooring events this summer and super high humidity in the shop because of it, quite a few of the bit shanks are lightly corroded…and difficult to pull out of the bored holes!

Additionally, my table side storage box is maxed out, so I need a new solution.

I’m contemplating rebuilding the same general design, just taller and deeper. This would allow more shelves and potentially a 3rd row of bits per shelf.

Anyone have storage solutions they would like to add to this thread?

Here is what mine currently looks like.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well that’s no longer the case!

After a couple a minor flooring events this summer and super high humidity in the shop because of it, quite a few of the bit shanks are lightly corroded…and difficult to pull out of the bored holes!

Additionally, my table side storage box is maxed out, so I need a new solution.

I’m contemplating rebuilding the same general design, just taller and deeper. This would allow more shelves and potentially a 3rd row of bits per shelf.

Here is what mine currently looks like.

Sorry to hear about corrosion, Jon.

In my new router stand, I went with the NYW overall plan including the drawers for bit storage. Basically they are 3/4″ Baltic Birch drilled through for 1/4 or 1/2″ bits then backed with 1/4″ ply. 4 drawers in all for bit storage. There are a total of 44 spaces in each drawer.

Shop is unheated unless I am working there and so far, no corrosion and no binding of the bit shanks.

The stand was finished in October, so I guess it’s too soon to know if there will be a corrosion problem but, so far so good.

This was a link on the first page of this thread I posted. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-5001/storage_and_organization

These work great, no corrosion, and quite flexible to use. Ready made and low cost too.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

This was a link on the first page of this thread I posted. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-5001/storage_and_organization

These work great, no corrosion, and quite flexible to use. Ready made and low cost too.

I like that option Lon. The only issue is exactly Where I would put it!

Jon P.
    Instagram

I like that option Lon. The only issue is exactly Where I would put it!

May I suggest you make a cabinet for the router bits. Multiple trays to slide in and out. 🙂

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s about the best option I have seen so far. I could have used that in my table build very easily.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.598 seconds