dcsimg

Router Bit Storage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • Author

How does everyone store their router bits? I have a drawer full of them in the little plastic sleeves and a Systainer full of them as well. Trying to get better organized. I have thought about sticking them in foam in an L-Boxx, but I actually like the sleeves for seeing what the bits are. Of course then I am digging through them to find what I need. I try to keep the edges from dinging other bits. It has become a challenge for me. Maybe some wooden inserts with appropriate holes would work. Interested in hearing/seeing any and all ideas.

Thanks!

Orange County, CA

I store them in the little plastic bases sitting upright in a box. I can see the tops of all the bits and pull the correct one out. Not ideal, a piece of plywood with 1/4″ and 1/2″ holes drilled every inch or so would work much better.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

So far I’m just sitting mine in a shelf in the giant tool chest. Perhaps the plywood with set holes would be a good idea.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Try to store them face up if you can or have the space.
    Like drill bits you don’t want the edges hitting each other , they will dull.

Thin ply as @robotmaster5379 mentions is best if you don’t have a store bought storage system for them.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Definitely don’t let them bang around. This is what I am using right now. It’s a little awkward to access but it does the job. These holders are right behind the router table.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like that set up you have @smallerstick . I got this set and they stay in the case they came in. I also have a drawer full. My cabinet door set stays in its own case.

Attachments:
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine are in this case on the side of my router table. When I need to take them to the site, I put them in the plastic boxes they came in….need something better for traveling!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Mine are in this case on the side of my router table. When I need to take them to the site, I put them in the plastic boxes they came in….need something better for traveling!

Very nice setup, Jon. I like the glass side. Do the drawers hold one row of bits or 2?

I use these high density foam squares to store bits in my workbench drawers. They are great.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-5001/storage_and_organization

Attachments:

I use a “system” similar to @smallerstick I also have an older set or 2 still in there set containers.

Will

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Definitely don’t let them bang around. This is what I am using right now. It’s a little awkward to access but it does the job. These holders are right behind the router table.

@smallerstick
    Peter, Where did you purchase those holders? I like the fact that the bits are easily accessible.

Jon,
    I like the way they are right there. and not tucked away.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick,
    Peter, Where did you purchase those holders? I like the fact that the bits are easily accessible.

I got these through a kijiji ad for router bits, they are branded Craftex. I have seen them in the LV catalog as well.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=49890&cat=1,33084,46180&ap=1

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Very nice setup, Jon. I like the glass side. Do the drawers hold one row of bits or 2?

I drilled two rows of holes, but some aren’t filled because they would interfere with other bits. If everything was a straight bit, I could fit 150 or so.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That’s a nice set up you put together. Keeps everything handy and doesn’t really take up any shop space

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Great ideas guys, I need to do something better with my bits. Keep the ideas coming.

yellaD
    Pro

Whoa Jon, that’s really good! I like this idea the best so far, right by the router (table) and easily accessible. Well made too! For travel, I’ve been thinking long about what do…I think systainer with dense foam insert is most viable for me, considering I use the T-locs already. This is a most useful thread! I’m sure an amalgamation of ideas will be beneficial to finding the best solution for this pesky problem.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve got mine in a L1 using Lee Valley 1/4″, 8mm and 1/2″ holders. I like the versatility of the system being able to move the holders as needed to make room for large bits.

I find that a lot of the holders are not spaced well and you either waste a lot of space or you are so crammed you cut your knuckles every time you remove a bit.

hrhmph. I need more router bits. 🙂

IMG_3275 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

That is a really nice case, Jon. Love the plexi/glass panels.

Orange County, CA

I’ve got mine in a L1 using Lee Valley 1/4″, 8mm and 1/2″ holders. I like the versatility of the system being able to move the holders as needed to make room for large bits.

I find that a lot of the holders are not spaced well and you either waste a lot of space or you are so crammed you cut your knuckles every time you remove a bit.

hrhmph. I need more router bits. :-)

IMG_3275 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Good idea, Brad. Those little holders – they just screw in? What is the tallest size bit that fits in the L1?

Orange County, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That is a really nice case, Jon. Love the plexi/glass panels.

Thank you sir…the face is a 3/16 acrylic. It will probably get scratched up but at least is wont shatter. And, I already had it lying around when I built the case.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds