dcsimg

rotex sanders

This topic contains 122 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 123 total)
  • Author

woodman_412

The Rotex is an aggressive fine sander. It gives an excellent sanded finish on bare wood in Rotex mode. I was just using it tonight with 120, 150, and 180 paper. Followed up the 180 with my ETS125 with some 180 to finish it off. This was on maple. Think finesse combined with a belt sander but the ability to sand across grain.

You’re saying that it will hog off material like a belt sander? If that’s the case, I’d be interested in getting a 5″ version and skipping the belt sander for most applications.

I have a 4×24 Makita belt sander that I have mounted in a stand I built most of the time so I can use it to sand small parts. I really like the finish the linear sanding leaves…probably should invest in a bigger stationary belt/disc sander though.

Yes — they can hog off wood and replace a belt sander. I sold mine after getting a Rotex and have never looked back. DC is excellent and makes it worth it just for that. I think that the 6 inch is easier to handle than the 5. They all have a learning curve, though.

Would you say that a rotex can replace a belt sander in the application of sanding to a scribe line on a panel or countertop Scot? That’s mostly what I use my belt sander for now although I’m going to be using my new planer for that instead I think.

I had thought about saving up points for the Bosch dual mode sander but I just don’t need an aggressive sander often enough to make it worth it in the work I do. Most times finesse and a fine finish are what I’m after. There are definitely times once in awhile though when it would be nice to have a sander to just hog off material.

I agree Dan. My Bosch sanders – the ROS65VC ROS and the OS50VC Half Sheet Sander definitely get much more use compared to the 1250DEVS Dual Mode. However, if you have both of the finish sanders, the dual mode will always have a use now and then. Thanks to BTP for the points program which put all 3 in my hands. Good redemptions – each one.

I’m really looking forward to getting the 1/2 sheet sander Lon. All the good things you guys have said about it tipped me over the edge.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

I’m really looking forward to getting the 1/2 sheet sander Lon. All the good things you guys have said about it tipped me over the edge.

I doubt you’ll regret getting one. A must for large flat work such as table tops.

Would you say that a rotex can replace a belt sander in the application of sanding to a scribe line on a panel or countertop Scot? That’s mostly what I use my belt sander for now although I’m going to be using my new planer for that instead I think.

Yes, but I would use the smaller RO90 for that task or even better, the RAS 115. I think that the 150 or 125 Rotex would be harder to control and longer learning curve. The RAS would be my first choice. You can get pretty darn accurate scribing crown, molding and all kinds of things.

Orange County, CA

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yes, but I would use the smaller RO90 for that task or even better, the RAS 115. I think that the 150 or 125 Rotex would be harder to control and longer learning curve. The RAS would be my first choice. You can get pretty darn accurate scribing crown, molding and all kinds of things.

Considering how I well scribe with a flappy disk and grit on the grinder, I have no doubt the sanders would work well. I also thought about the smaller one would be easier to handle.

As for your suggestion on the RAS……that surprised me. That thing looks to aggressive to do delicate fine tuning.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

As for your suggestion on the RAS……that surprised me. That thing looks to aggressive to do delicate fine tuning.

With fine paper on it it can be used for delicate work with no problem. It is all purpose.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

woodman_412

I doubt you’ll regret getting one. A must for large flat work such as table tops.

I don’t get the chance to build tables too often anymore but for sanding big cabinet gable panels and things like that it will be great. Edges is what I’m really after it for.

My dad was asking me today about what the best kind of sander would be for sanding the paint down on their windows and corner boards before painting again. I told him a dual mode sander would be great and he was really interested in getting one until I told him how much they cost lol.

Dan

danpattison.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Was using the rotex yesterday to sand the walnut flooring down a little and seal it under where the cabinets go. It will make quick work of sanding a floor on the aggressive setting. Not saying its a replacement for an industrial walk behind drum sander but it will get away from you if you let it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Was using the rotex yesterday to sand the walnut flooring down a little and seal it under where the cabinets go. It will make quick work of sanding a floor on the aggressive setting. Not saying its a replacement for an industrial walk behind drum sander but it will get away from you if you let it.

Nice to see it has a lot of power.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

With fine paper on it it can be used for delicate work with no problem. It is all purpose.

</blockquote

Thats good to know. Didnt know you were a Fez guy.

I stumbled upon some other tools with similar abilities. I think it was called Renovation Miller but it wasnt available here.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

My dad was asking me today about what the best kind of sander would be for sanding the paint down on their windows and corner boards before painting again. I told him a dual mode sander would be great and he was really interested in getting one until I told him how much they cost lol.

The Rotex RO90 would be perfect for this application.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

The Rotex RO90 would be perfect for this application.

I think a combo of a rotex sander and a delta head on an OMT would do a great job. The OMT would be great for getting in all the corners around the windows. I think he’ll probably just end up using a scraper and doing it the old fashioned way like he has for years.

Dan

danpattison.com

@mrtooljunkie do you find the 90 is a little different to use compared to the larger Rotex models? Seems I read that somewhere.

If you put 80g Granat paper on the Rotex and set it in aggressive mode you can definitely hog off some material. Go 40g if you want to get crazy!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nothing gets rid of paint faster than a RO sander. They were made for that kind of work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think a combo of a rotex sander and a delta head on an OMT would do a great job. The OMT would be great for getting in all the corners around the windows. I think he’ll probably just end up using a scraper and doing it the old fashioned way like he has for years.

@woodman_412, as an FYI, the Rotex 90 comes with a delta attachment to swap with the round pad. It also has an edge attachment accessory kit to protect adjacent surfaces. Includes three sizes: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2-inch offsets for window frames with different angles and widths.

woodman_412

woodman_412, as an FYI, the Rotex 90 comes with a delta attachment to swap with the round pad. It also has an edge attachment accessory kit to protect adjacent surfaces. Includes three sizes: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2-inch offsets for window frames with different angles and widths.

Good to know Lon, sounds like the Rotex 90 would be just the ticket for something like that then. I still haven’t partaken of the green koolaid yet. I’m pretty much Bosch all the way.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Is there anyone who has the Rotex AND the Bosch? Or perhaps someone who has used both? I’d like to pick one up, but I’m still trying to determine which.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@mrtooljunkie do you find the 90 is a little different to use compared to the larger Rotex models? Seems I read that somewhere.

If you put 80g Granat paper on the Rotex and set it in aggressive mode you can definitely hog off some material. Go 40g if you want to get crazy!

Yes – the RO90 takes a little practice, just like the other Rotex sanders. You have to hold it on the front and by the end with the cord and hose to get it to balance correctly. After a little practice you can handle it with one hand.

I am using it extensively on my chair build – perfect size for all the little spaces and contours.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I am using it extensively on my chair build – perfect size for all the little spaces and contours.

Do you use it for shaping at all where it will sand aggressively or just to smooth out the shaping that you’ve done?

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Is there anyone who has the Rotex AND the Bosch? Or perhaps someone who has used both? I’d like to pick one up, but I’m still trying to determine which.

I’ve not read of anybody here who has, but I think there was somebody on the FOG who had done that I read a few months ago.

There may be other reviewers online who have have done just that. Have you tried ToolGuyz?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Do you use it for shaping at all where it will sand aggressively or just to smooth out the shaping that you’ve done?

A rotary tye sander with a 40# grit pad would make an excellent shaper.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.449 seconds