dcsimg

rotex sanders

This topic contains 122 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Author

woodman_412

I ended up using this on my grinder.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-9099DCNA-Large-Paint-Stripper/dp/B00004Z4DV

Then followed behind touching up with an orbital. worked fast and well.

I will eventually get a rotex

That looks like an effective solution. I guess the only downside of something like that is there is no dust extraction if you had to work cleanly.

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Are these good for stripping peeling paint or just evening bare wood?

A friend of mine had a painted picnic table with peeling paint that he wanted redone. I brought my Rotex 125 over and put it to work after I ran a carbide scraper over the surface to remove as much loose paint as I could. In the aggressive mode it worked great to get the surface ready for new paint.

Works great for me stripping paint with my Rotex 150EQ. Granat paper and adjusting the suction on my CT help keep gum up to a minimum. Works fast!

Do you guys find that a slower speed is more effective to reduce gumming of the paper?

i crank mine when i have the abranet material on it. the vacuum also seems to help make sure none of the dust particles are left behind to gum up the paper.

That’s maybe a good idea for me to get some 6in abranets just for paint strip offs.

Do you guys find that the Abranet discs are better for stripping paint and finishes in general when it comes to clogging? I’m going to have to give them a try sometime to see what all the talk is about.

i haven’t had to remove any paint or finish since i got my sander so i can’t say how well the abranet paper is for paint or finish. However for regular wood, it works amazing with dust collection.

The rotex is great for stripping paint. I use my 125 for it really frequently. With 60grit granat and rotex on it eats trough it. And you can easily change to high grits to smooth it out. With 60 it does leave marks. But nothing too bad if you pay attention.

If you want paint removal then this festool is what you want-Festool 570789 RAS 115.04 E Rotary Sander. It is designed for paint removal, quickly.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If you want paint removal then this festool is what you want-Festool 570789 RAS 115.04 E Rotary Sander. It is designed for paint removal, quickly.

it uses regular sanding papers?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They will strip paint in Rotex mode (aggressive). Paper selection and dust extraction is key to prevent excess gumming up the paper. Granat paper is really good at that. I have even put Granat 40g on my Planex and used it to strip a large surface before. The Rotex is my go to sander. It does have a learning curve to run in Rotex mode. You will hate it at first. I can now run mine with one hand but it took me a bit to get the feel of it.

Dam you make some good post!!!
    Like he said was the dust extraction is key. The rotex and all the fessy sanders are designed to use with DE. It lets the paper last as long as they can with out clogging. I have used the Rotex150 to strip down cabinet doors almost to the wood. Maybe 89% down. It does take the learning curve but a bit of 2 part puddy epoxy is your friend there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That one only uses a 4½” disk. the rotex come in 3 sizes. The festools sanders take festool sand paper at .50 a pop.

Dirty

woodman_412

Are these good for stripping peeling paint or just evening bare wood?

A friend of mine had a painted picnic table with peeling paint that he wanted redone. I brought my Rotex 125 over and put it to work after I ran a carbide scraper over the surface to remove as much loose paint as I could. In the aggressive mode it worked great to get the surface ready for new paint.

Works great for me stripping paint with my Rotex 150EQ. Granat paper and adjusting the suction on my CT help keep gum up to a minimum. Works fast!

Do you guys find that a slower speed is more effective to reduce gumming of the paper?

i crank mine when i have the abranet material on it. the vacuum also seems to help make sure none of the dust particles are left behind to gum up the paper.

That’s maybe a good idea for me to get some 6in abranets just for paint strip offs.

Do you guys find that the Abranet discs are better for stripping paint and finishes in general when it comes to clogging? I’m going to have to give them a try sometime to see what all the talk is about.

i haven’t had to remove any paint or finish since i got my sander so i can’t say how well the abranet paper is for paint or finish. However for regular wood, it works amazing with dust collection.

Do you find the Abranet discs last longer than regular discs? They don’t seem too crazy for price compared to regular discs. Certainly seems like they would work better for paint removal since there isn’t much surface to get gummed up.

Dan

danpattison.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I hsve thought about the Ras but if the RO can do it a little less effective it has more value in versatility.

The grinder attachment I used worked awesome. I needed to remove some paint and caulk gobs on pine box beams I will be repainting.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The festools sanders take festool sand paper at .50 a pop.

Does any other paper fit the Festool sanders or are you locked into their paper?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Does any other paper fit the Festool sanders or are you locked into their paper?

You can use any hook and loop paper, but the hole pattern on Festool is unique to the pad. Festool paper is not overly expensive in my view – I actually think it competes with other quality papers out there. The hole pattern helps it run a little cooler so the paper lasts a long time as it does not heat up and wear as much. I am using Saphir paper on my chair project and I think I have done all of the sculpting of the seat bowl and other parts with just two disks. It some tough stuff. Granat is meant for stripping paints and finishes and works well – it is a thinner backing so I have had it tear on edges if not careful.

Orange County, CA

That one only uses a 4½” disk. the rotex come in 3 sizes. The festools sanders take festool sand paper at .50 a pop.

I think that the Rotex sander is more versatile since you can use it for so many things, but if I had lots of paint to strip then no question I would opt for the RAS 115 — it is kind of like a slow speed grinder and very effective at paint removal — much faster tool for the application. A Rotex could certainly accomplish the task, but I think in many instances it would take longer. The Rotex does accept lots of different grits and types of papers, though and you can use the tool from rough sanding all the way up to a smooth polish. I really like the little RO90 too — great size for small projects and the delta head is a nice feature for corner work.

Orange County, CA

Yes, several manufacturers make “universal” papers that work on festool sanders. But, in my experience, they do not perform as well as festool’s papers. I find the festool sand paper to be a better purchase. The initial cost may appear as high, but I find I do not use that much of it as they last way longer.

Doobie
    Pro

Yes, several manufacturers make “universal” papers that work on festool sanders. But, in my experience, they do not perform as well as festool’s papers. I find the festool sand paper to be a better purchase. The initial cost may appear as high, but I find I do not use that much of it as they last way longer.

That’s what I found too. Their papers are worth it.

Mirka’s Abranet is similar in cost effectiveness as well.

I agree on the Festool paper also. I have yet to try the Abranet but will do so soon. So far everyone has spoken highly of that too. @doobie, does one give a better finish than the other?

Doobie
    Pro

I agree on the Festool paper also. I have yet to try the Abranet but will do so soon. So far everyone has spoken highly of that too. @doobie, does one give a better finish than the other?

No noticeable difference in surface finish. They just seem to work faster and last longer. They tend to leave less trace dust as well.

I called up Mirka in Montreal in the fall to ask about what type they recommend for sanding and smoothing concrete surfaces. They sent me a whack load of free samples, stickers, a t shirt and their abrasives product catalogue. I later learned thru one of their retailers that the man I was talking to on the phone at Mirka with with whom I had talked quite a while with was the president of Mirka Canada by the name of John Booth.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the fessy papers and think they are worth it too.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The initial cost may appear as high, but I find I do not use that much of it as they last way longer.

There is a good point right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I called up Mirka in Montreal in the fall to ask about what type they recommend for sanding and smoothing concrete surfaces. They sent me a whack load of free samples, stickers, a t shirt and their abrasives product catalogue. I later learned thru one of their retailers that the man I was talking to on the phone at Mirka with with whom I had talked quite a while with was the president of Mirka Canada by the name of John Booth.

That is neat when the owner stays connected with the individual customer. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.959 seconds