dcsimg

rotex sanders

This topic contains 122 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Are these good for stripping peeling paint or just evening bare wood?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

woodman_412

I came across this video the other day and this guy seemed to have good success stripping the paint off his house with the Bosch dual mode sander.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve heard that they are great all around sanders. They have two sanding modes, one is aggressive and concentric, the other is less aggressive and random.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

That helped, I was wondering about the tool remaining effective at lower speeds. I figured it would gum up the paper.

Theres always a wire wheel and grinder but no extraction

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

woodman_412

That helped, I was wondering about the tool remaining effective at lower speeds. I figured it would gum up the paper.

From what I’ve seen and heard lower speeds work better since they don’t heat up the paint and melt it into a gummy mess. Sort of like cutting plastics is best done at lower speeds. I’ve been tempted by the Bosch dual mode but don’t really do enough work that needs coarse removal.

Dan

danpattison.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Well whatever is compatible with my fez extractor would be acceptable.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

They will strip paint in Rotex mode (aggressive). Paper selection and dust extraction is key to prevent excess gumming up the paper. Granat paper is really good at that. I have even put Granat 40g on my Planex and used it to strip a large surface before. The Rotex is my go to sander. It does have a learning curve to run in Rotex mode. You will hate it at first. I can now run mine with one hand but it took me a bit to get the feel of it.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Clev08
    Pro

If the paint is peeling I’d use a scraper to take as much off before I start sanding it. The less you have to sand the better in my opinion.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

From what I’ve seen and heard lower speeds work better since they don’t heat up the paint and melt it into a gummy mess. Sort of like cutting plastics is best done at lower speeds. I’ve been tempted by the Bosch dual mode but don’t really do enough work that needs coarse removal.

i love my 1250devs, you don’t need it just for paint, i use it for aggressive sanding, i was thinking in the future i may try to use it to make the seat groove for chairs and see how that works out.

it is compatible with the festool extractor hose, i use that in conjunction with my bosch extractor.

A friend of mine had a painted picnic table with peeling paint that he wanted redone. I brought my Rotex 125 over and put it to work after I ran a carbide scraper over the surface to remove as much loose paint as I could. In the aggressive mode it worked great to get the surface ready for new paint.

Doobie

Works great for me stripping paint with my Rotex 150EQ. Granat paper and adjusting the suction on my CT help keep gum up to a minimum. Works fast!

woodman_412

A friend of mine had a painted picnic table with peeling paint that he wanted redone. I brought my Rotex 125 over and put it to work after I ran a carbide scraper over the surface to remove as much loose paint as I could. In the aggressive mode it worked great to get the surface ready for new paint.

Works great for me stripping paint with my Rotex 150EQ. Granat paper and adjusting the suction on my CT help keep gum up to a minimum. Works fast!

Do you guys find that a slower speed is more effective to reduce gumming of the paper?

Dan

danpattison.com

Do you guys find that a slower speed is more effective to reduce gumming of the paper?

In my situation, the paint was brittle enough there was no gumming on the paper. I also don’t crank my sanders up to maximum speed either.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I came across this video the other day and this guy seemed to have good success stripping the paint off his house with the Bosch dual mode sander.

Yes a random orbital sander was developed to strip and feather edge paint really fast. One advantage is the ability to use a 40 or 80 grit to strip then feather with 120 or 240 to get the surface flat and smooth.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i crank mine when i have the abranet material on it. the vacuum also seems to help make sure none of the dust particles are left behind to gum up the paper.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@dan has a couple and I have used one. They are great at removing lots of material if you put them on the agressive setting.

Doobie

i crank mine when i have the abranet material on it. the vacuum also seems to help make sure none of the dust particles are left behind to gum up the paper.

That’s maybe a good idea for me to get some 6in abranets just for paint strip offs.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I’ve found it depends on the paint. Oils seam to clog a little more, but I usually crank it as well. D/c is definitely a big help

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

woodman_412

That’s maybe a good idea for me to get some 6in abranets just for paint strip offs.

Do you guys find that the Abranet discs are better for stripping paint and finishes in general when it comes to clogging? I’m going to have to give them a try sometime to see what all the talk is about.

Dan

danpattison.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I ended up using this on my grinder.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-9099DCNA-Large-Paint-Stripper/dp/B00004Z4DV

Then followed behind touching up with an orbital. worked fast and well.

I will eventually get a rotex

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.678 seconds