dcsimg

Rot repair, window, and siding replacement project (pic heavy)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Here is a project I would like to share with you guys. I just recently completed a large rot repair project. The owners contacted me, complaining that their windows in an addition built in the early 80’s were failing and needed to be replaced.

Here is what some of the windows looked like inside. I could tell something wasn’t done right, and we would need to investigate further.

photo IMG_3201_zpsixjzewfm.jpg

photo IMG_3199_zpsldqxqtw9.jpg

photo IMG_3505_zpszpf3jeqq.png

After seeing this, I knew the windows weren’t installed right, and improperly flashed. I could see the stucco wasn’t properly detailed as well, there were no head flashings or weep screeds installed anywhere. After this visit I wrote up a proposal to remove the stucco and windows, install a WRB with an integrated rain screen, install new windows, and install hardie HZ5 panels to replace to stucco. They accepted and we put the window order in.

Once we got started, we could see the damage was spread a bit further than we anticipated.
     photo IMG_3514_zpsffseslp4.png
     photo IMG_3510_zpsa4pgmyzx.png
     photo IMG_3520_zpsenkxtih0.png
     photo IMG_3507_zpsks63fzgj.png

We also noticed the framing was pretty odd and amatuerish.
     photo IMG_3525_zpstbre8cv0.png
    Weird plane changes in the wall, it wasn’t tied together, and the rim joist was rotten.

photo IMG_3549_zpslv5puh4s.png

The rim joist was installed over a conventional 1×3 sill resting directly on the concrete foundation.

So, we wrote up a change order, removed the whole rear wall, replaced the sills with pressure treated lumber, and put in a new rim joist before we re framed the wall.
     photo IMG_3555_zps5ascbggk.png

photo IMG_3546_zpsnbmlowbc.png
    Here is the temporary support wall, we built while we removed and replaced the framing.

photo IMG_3562_zpspbdhukbs.png
    wall framing

photo IMG_3588_zpsz3unmnsu.png
    windows installed and housewrap cut back for flashing.

We used Benjamin Obdyke HP homeslicker for this job. It has an integrated rain screen for drainage.

Finished project.
     photo siding 2 web_zpskiyuthpv.jpg
     photo siding3 web_zpsgmcybezk.jpg
     photo siding4 web_zpsmnx1ilnk.jpg
     photo siding1 web_zps2demfhdm.jpg
     photo windows4 web_zpstwa3ljex.jpg
     photo windows3 web_zpslyncqpoi.jpg
     photo windows2 web_zpsvxzv5twl.jpg

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That looks great. I am sure it will last many many more years than the previous job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Really good, solid old house; it’s a shame there was such shoddy work on the addition. Very nice work on the restoration especially the interior trim on the windows. Love the mirror on the one end wall; nice touch!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Im glad you decided to share this project over here . Loved watching it progress on Instagram . Best part was when you were cutting the arches . Great work @aa_custom

Always willing to learn .

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Thanks guys. @skillman, those first few arches were nerve wracking. I bought an extra sheet just in case. We made a template like 3 or 4 times out of ramboard before cutting. I actually ended up not needing the extra sheet in the end.

@smallerstick
    Its a really nice house overall, unfortunately the same shmucks that did the addition did the kitchen. I’ll be replacing that this summer for them though. The mirror was existing, and managed to stay through the whole process which was nice. I was convinced we were going to lose it. It really adds a lot of light though, so I’m glad it stayed. It was weird having to look at myself that much though!

looks really great.

Sir_Mixalot
    Pro
    Melbourne Beach, FL

Fantastic job @aa_custom! Those jobs suck…but are also very rewarding when you make it all they way is should be.

I am sure the client is pleased. What is the panel product you used on the exterior? Looks like an exposed color matched fastener.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Wow, awesome job @aa_custom! I really the exterior trim, you got the proportions just right.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like you had quite the mess on your hands…

Did the HO have any idea that the mess was so extensive?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@overanalyze I actually really enjoyed this one. After we got all the old crap torn out, it went super smooth. It was a really profitable job for me too, which is nice. We missed a bit of work due to the weather, we ended up about a week behind schedule which wasn’t too bad. The client is super happy, and already is giving us referrals, and has been hounding me to get him a price on his kitchen. We used pre finished hardie panel HZ5 panels. I got color matched screws, and aluminum extrusions for the seams from tamlyn.

@Sir_Mixalot thanks, I even did my own drywall and paint work on this one! I think this is the cleanest drywall work I’ve done.

@ChadM
    thanks. I thought the trim was looking kind of weird on the exterior, then we got it painted up and it really came together.

@jponto07
    My original scope was to demo stucco and get into minor framing repair. I figured some sills would have been shot here and there, but not this bad. I took the time to educate them every step of the way though. I showed them exactly what the problem was, what caused it, and what actions we were taking to correct and prevent it. They came away really happy and comfortable with everything.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

They came away really happy and comfortable with everything.

Good to hear. It can be tense when things go sideways from the original plan. Sometimes the HO just doens’t have any extra cash to cover the changes that are necessary.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

Good to hear. It can be tense when things go sideways from the original plan. Sometimes the HO just doens’t have any extra cash to cover the changes that are necessary.

Good to know some clients actually understand that what we find behind a wall is not our fault! The house looks awesome! And referrals are the best kind of marketing, not to mention free!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Here is a project I would like to share with you guys. I just recently completed a large rot repair project. The owners contacted me, complaining that their windows in an addition built in the early 80’s were failing and needed to be replaced.

Nice work there Aaron, that turned out great.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I told them my original scope was best case scenario, and to be prepared for more work once we opened the walls up. That heads up probably helped.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That is amazing work there ! I really like how well that turned out.

@aa_custom wow that’s one hell of a job, I guess nobody was expecting that, but once you start the HO must have been in shock to find how bad it really was,
    Great pictures of the hole project thanks for sharing, and great job and work you guys did.

I’m sure that home owners will be definitely calling you for any future work,

The finished product looks awesome.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Don’t you just love the surprises that come after peeling away layers? I really like that you kept the clients aware of what to expect and what was happening. All around nice job, it looks wonderful.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Wow that was a big job! I love the radius windows.
    Nothing like a happy customer and referrals.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Don’t you just love the surprises that come after peeling away layers?

Personally, yes. That’s one of the reasons I enjoy what I do. It’s unpredictable.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.497 seconds