dcsimg

Roof repair

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I said her late husband and son put those patches over that roof section. They obviously didnt know what they were doing.

We have loads of the chimney liner companies popping up and they almost all offer roofing, gutters and some siding. They are not necessarily low bidders, often they are hustlers that take advantage of these older people.

You know,….carbon monoxide is a deadly killer, your lucky to be alive…you need a new liner and the bricks should be done…..then while on the job you need a roof…..Blah, blah,blah… Okay they get on the phone to their sub who gets paid peanuts and there here we are…..

I dont know for sure of course but I been around for 24 years and I encounter and repair lots of different hackery. I usually get some background on it to.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Well he paid the low bidder the first time now he will pay again to have it done right.

That’s right. There going pay one way or another. Might as well pay to do it right the first time.

Yep, there’s two ways to do a job; the right way, or again.

Doobie

That is the worst roofing job I have ever seen . That is brutal !

I would argue the sheriff in “Unforgiven” did worse. 😉

👎

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Do we have any roofing contractors here?
    or Pro’s who know a little bit in that field?!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Whats your question? Roofing was my first trade as a kid in the eighties and my dominant business trade up until 10 years ago.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@madman_us
    I know a little something about roofing, same with quite a few of the other pros….You have a question?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Well he paid the low bidder the first time now he will pay again to have it done right.

A deal is never a deal, people will learn someday.

I’m caught between wanting to laugh at how horrible it is, and feeling bad for the HO’s situation and lack of knowledge.

I’m caught between wanting to laugh at how horrible it is, and feeling bad for the HO’s situation and lack of knowledge.

You think that folks would learn, they don’t seem to though. What drives me crazy is the fact that they can’t figure out why it cost more to repair a hack job than it does to have it done right. But life goes on.

Is this a poll question? Serious note whats up?

Should have added, been on a few tear offs from shingles to flat. Not as qualified as many, but willing to help

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, TopNotch that is some lousy work there. I wonder how many other roofs this guy did?

Should have added, been on a few tear offs from shingles to flat.

Always fun when you get that 3-4 layer tear off : S

A Working Pro since 2004

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

My grandma-in-law is bugging me since a few weeks with a leak in her roof. Its a flat concrete shingle roof.
    When I was on the roof weeks ago I didnt see any tiles cracked or so.
    Back in the day they had a warm water solar thing on the roof – which has been removed years ago and they just asphalt shingled that area. I guess 6*10 feet.
    My guess is that the felt underneath the concrete shingles is ripped or so.
    Water is also penetrating the garage (the heater exhaust pipe which goes to the roof) maybe just needs a new seal around the pipe on the roof or roofing cement.
    3 skylights need to be replaced too.
    so my grandma-in-law had a roofer out and he estimated the work with $3000 (estimate is attached)
    She also told me that this one was the first one who came by. She also tried to call different contractors…one guy was totally drunk at 11am on a wednesday and the other one never showed up to that appointment.

I mean after reading that quote…hes not doing a whole lot of work. material is not that expensive either.

Then today and last week I spend a few hours to call different roofing companies. I am telling you, I am just sick about those unreliable contractors…
    I talked to one guy last week and he told me to send him my address – never heard back of him.
    This morning I left messages on 3 different answering machines – nobody has called back yet.
    I mean do they have enough work or do they just give a *hit.

So my idea is, that I just gonna jump on that roof and tackle that project.
    Even when I don’t have the experience but I am pretty sure I can do it.
    Addition to that…I have you guys 😛

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Attachments:
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im thinking that estimate isnt so bad. Kind of hard to ive you pointers without seeing the whole picture or the tie ins but if your going to try make sure its on a good weather run.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

You think that folks would learn, they don’t seem to though. What drives me crazy is the fact that they can’t figure out why it cost more to repair a hack job than it does to have it done right. But life goes on.

Those are my favourite quotes to drop off.

“why is it higher then your first quote, cant you use some of this stuff?”

No. It’s all garbage.

@madman_us
    I don’t know enough about flat roofing to really help you unfortunately, however I’m not surprised at all with your experience trying to find a good, qualified, and dependable roofer. Roofers are a dime a dozen, but a good one is a needle in a haystack.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Like Tom said, it is difficult to say for sure without seeing some pics…but given the scope of work on the estimate, $3k doesn’t sound out of line to me.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Those are my favourite quotes to drop off.

“why is it higher then your first quote, cant you use some of this stuff?”

No. It’s all garbage.

@madman_us I don’t know enough about flat roofing to really help you unfortunately, however I’m not surprised at all with your experience trying to find a good, qualified, and dependable roofer. Roofers are a dime a dozen, but a good one is a needle in a haystack.

LOL, like I said, life goes on. Someone has to do it. But to be honest, I do feel bad for folks that don’t know any better and just trying to save a dollar that they really don’t have.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Im thinking that estimate isnt so bad. Kind of hard to ive you pointers without seeing the whole picture or the tie ins but if your going to try make sure its on a good weather run.

Like Tom said, it is difficult to say for sure without seeing some pics…but given the scope of work on the estimate, $3k doesn’t sound out of line to me

yeah of course that guy wants to get paid to – I totally understand that.
    But I dont wanna go with the first one who gives me an estimate.
    I rather have a few to choose but thats kinda rare atm haha.

it doesnt rain so often in fontana – they most likely have the same weather like we do here in the desert.
    I would like to find a good roofer but how it sounds nobody wants to work or at least to give me a call back.
    I don’t have any pictures right now but I might head over there on friday.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Like Tom said, it is difficult to say for sure without seeing some pics…but given the scope of work on the estimate, $3k doesn’t sound out of line to me

yeah of course that guy wants to get paid to – I totally understand that.
    But I dont wanna go with the first one who gives me an estimate.
    I rather have a few to choose but thats kinda rare atm haha.

it doesnt rain so often in fontana – they most likely have the same weather like we do here in the desert.
    I would like to find a good roofer but how it sounds nobody wants to work or at least to give me a call back.
    I don’t have any pictures right now but I might head over there on friday.

When we had the farm I went to a cutting horse clinic with John Lyons. One of the first things he said was “99% of the time when faced with a problem, we look at the wrong side of the lead rope”, meaning . not the horse the trainer.

Pretty sure there is a roofer that you can trust. Just make a few more calls

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would like to find a good roofer but how it sounds nobody wants to work or at least to give me a call back.’

That just might have something to do with the price…he has no competition!

FWIW, the price seems decent to me. Pictures would help as mentioned above. From looking through the estimate, it seems that the work is almost all labor and very little new material. I guess they figured that the job would take a while to complete.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I would like to find a good roofer but how it sounds nobody wants to work or at least to give me a call back.’

That just might have something to do with the price…he has no competition!

FWIW, the price seems decent to me. Pictures would help as mentioned above. From looking through the estimate, it seems that the work is almost all labor and very little new material. I guess they figured that the job would take a while to complete.

Thats what I thought too Jon with labor intensive.
    well there are so many roofing companies in that area but I have no clue why the offices don’t call back, folks never show up when they call to schedule an appointment.
    I am not complaining about the money.
    I just want to have someone to come over, I go with him on the roof and he shows and tells me what he wants and has to do.
    Money is not a big deal. I just want to have it done correct.

Just to say a number; 4 estimate would be nice to pick the right one.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I just want to have it done correct.

I take it that the guy who handed in this estimate didn’t offer much of an explanation then?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.458 seconds