dcsimg

Roof repair

This topic contains 59 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  AlexKalssen 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Check out this roof, first the original installer did a 6″ offset like a 3 tab shingle. Then after it eventually leaked the owner tarred the seams. When that didnt work the installed a couple of rows butted up to each other and the ridge…making things worse.

Attachments:

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is the worst roofing job I have ever seen . That is brutal !

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Wow, just wow!

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The biggest culprit I run into is the mad rush most of these fly by night or Immigrant workers are in. The nail gun is punching in way more nails than necessary and in bad locations like seams.

You can by this photo why it leaks…..I marked the seams of the T&G sheathing. 5″-5.5″ +/- each one just like the exposure and nail line of the roof shingles. You will always encounter a few sections where you eventually land in this zone. Even 1/2″ up or down will split the board.

Now that there is an “air nail” holding nothing it will back out when the hot attic temperatures build pressure….thus creating a leak.

The correct way to install it is to slow down and move your nails higher. Its a conflict with manufacturers recommendation but you reduce blow offs and blow thru nailing.

Attachments:

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Sounds like you have never seen a roof with valley caps then. Think ridge caps, and then imagine it in a valley. I have seen some real doozies when it comes to roofing.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Are you even able to repair this roof? From the picture it looks like the whole thing needs to be stripped and redone.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Reminds me of the repair I looked at where the homeowner took the approach that if a little Black Jack was good, a case would be better. I thought I gave him a fairly reasonable price, but the DIY’er who had done the roof himself originally, said, for that much I will just let it leak.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I stripped about 4 sq and changed out 2 sheets of plywood. The bathroom is being remodeled and discovered the leak during the gut.

She said the roof is under 10 years old so I given the amount of money already being spent I just took care of the immediate problem.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Are you even able to repair this roof? From the picture it looks like the whole thing needs to be stripped and redone.

That would be my recommendation as well. Considering the labor involved to strip the junk off, they might be better served to redo the whole thing.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That is some impressive hackery!

Sounds like you have never seen a roof with valley caps then. Think ridge caps, and then imagine it in a valley. I have seen some real doozies when it comes to roofing.

Valley caps, huh? Never saw those before lol.

but the DIY’er who had done the roof himself originally, said, for that much I will just let it leak.

I have had a few people tell me the exact same thing.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well he paid the low bidder the first time now he will pay again to have it done right.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Well he paid the low bidder the first time now he will pay again to have it done right.

That’s right. There going pay one way or another. Might as well pay to do it right the first time.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

That hack really didn’t know how to install a Shingle . Our he didn’t give to cents about the client or his own self respect

Always willing to learn .

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

She is an older woman, even 10 years back she was older. The installer said they going to replace all of the sheathing too, or so she recalls.

I saw the chimney had work done, I have a feeling my look of it that it may have been one of those chimney liner companies that also sold the roof while there. Maybe they took advantage of them.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I am no roofer, and have never really done one, but looking at the pictures, man that’s bad, the first picture, the houses in the area don’t look that old, scary when he hire someone you think will do the job properly,

This spring I will be posting and asking advice able some of my roof shingles that have blown off, I have had someone replace them, but that spot is problematic, Seams to always have a shingle or two blowing away, actually happened about a week ago,

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I hate to see people get taken advantage of by low bidders. Would have been nice to try to get her to see the benefits in properly fixing the roof. Would hate to see a new bathroom remodel get wrecked by more leaking.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

The sad fact is that some people really can’t afford to get things fixed, and then it ends up doing more costly damage down the road.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is really sad that people do work like that. Do they not know any better or just out to rip someone off? They would have done better putting a tarp over the roof.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

There are a few things in construction where corners can be cut without serious consequences, but roofing is definitely not one of those things.

I hate to see people get taken advantage of by low bidders. Would have been nice to try to get her to see the benefits in properly fixing the roof. Would hate to see a new bathroom remodel get wrecked by more leaking.

I really think the guy didn’t know how to do it . But who knows what goes throw a con- man .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.575 seconds