dcsimg

Roof Failure

This topic contains 34 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well no matter what happened there are lots of nervous people after that one from the builder, architect, supplier, to the coffee truck guy all sweating it out to see who will be held responsible. Hope everyone has good insurance.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous

OMG!! I can’t believe this type of thing can still happen these days, I didn’t see anywhere where it said how old the structure is but it doesn’t look very old. And that kinda hits home as that’s the area that I’ve been fishing hundreds of times in my life, In fact my dad almost bought a home on Ottertail Lake.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

How about truss plate connector failure. Due to extreme moisture
    and poor ventilation ?

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

The connection of the piggybacks could be the culprit here.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How about truss plate connector failure. Due to extreme moisture
    and poor ventilation ?

Is it possible for that to happen 43 times simultaneously?? This stinks of neglect-either by the contractor or the owner not addressing an issue after construction.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

One failure , doubles the load to the next,
    then the domino effect takes over. just throwing my 2 cents in.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

Or , those are WIDE trusses.
    Maybe site assembled, or poor installation ?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

OMG!! I can’t believe this type of thing can still happen these days, I didn’t see anywhere where it said how old the structure is but it doesn’t look very old. And that kinda hits home as that’s the area that I’ve been fishing hundreds of times in my life, In fact my dad almost bought a home on Ottertail Lake.

I have stayed at the hotel and my kids have played at the waterpark. It has been a few years however. I believe the building is only 10 to 15 years old. My uncles home is about 500 feet from the tower in the lower right hand corner.

Thumper pond is a golf course, hotel, convention center, water park and residential development. It did go through a bankruptcy a few years back and the current owners from Fargo bought the entire place for 10 cents on the dollar.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I could see the weight of snow. I have seen low pitches like 6’s blow out when roofers boom up pallets and dont spread out the load. Those rafter/ceiling ties are critical.

We dont use trusses here. When I looked at the thread the first thing I imagined was the plate connectors giving out to twisting members.

We need to find out what happened.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I could see the weight of snow. I have seen low pitches like 6’s blow out when roofers boom up pallets and dont spread out the load. Those rafter/ceiling ties are critical.

We dont use trusses here. When I looked at the thread the first thing I imagined was the plate connectors giving out to twisting members.

We need to find out what happened.

I went on one of my roofs and lost it on the roofers. 45 bundles only 4 wide right in the middle of a 40′ ridge, basically on the splice.

I actually thought my roof would fail because they just kept piling them on.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Another roof failure. This one due to snow in Tahoe.

This is sad when these catastrophic failures happen. Some how I would think with so much snow and the weight of it some on the property would see something needs to be done. How does one get the snow off a roof??? I have no idea. I have never even seen snow on a roof. We do have a lot of wind tho and I have built roofs to withstand 150MPH winds on our military bases.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Another roof failure. This one due to snow in Tahoe.

This is sad when these catastrophic failures happen. Some how I would think with so much snow and the weight of it some on the property would see something needs to be done. How does one get the snow off a roof??? I have no idea. I have never even seen snow on a roof. We do have a lot of wind tho and I have built roofs to withstand 150MPH winds on our military bases.

I have helped clear snow off a roof before, we climbed up there with shovels and went at it!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

With snow it is not only how high it is on the roof but the water content as well. A lot of roofs collapsed this year even though the snow was not very high but because it was a very wet snow caught a lo of people off guard.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.956 seconds