dcsimg

@RonW WORKSHOP START TO FINNISH.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 1,131 total)
  • Author
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

How long of a chimney will you need to get.

The chimney will be around 15′ Brian.

Just make sure you install it right Ron. Don’t wanna read about your shop burnin down one day. Knock on wood!

I will do my best to do it right. Definitely don’t want any fires outside of the stove…

Looks nice Ron, that should keep the shop toasty, now all you need is firewood.

Yes I do. You know the old saying. Fire wood heats you a couple different times. lol

I thinking I might have enough scrap to keep me warm this winter.

If you were closer I could hook you up with chimney. Quit burning years ago and took chimney down when I put on the new roof. Have more than enough than you would need. Double wall stainless with ceramic liner. That stuff is costly !

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Had a buddy give me a small wood stove for the shop today. It’s small but should help knock the chill out of the shop while getting ride of most of my small waist material.

Oh,, that’s epic! What a nice friend. Getting rid of small scrap and making heat all at once.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

How long of a chimney will you need to get.

The chimney will be around 15′ Brian.

Just make sure you install it right Ron. Don’t wanna read about your shop burnin down one day. Knock on wood!

I will do my best to do it right. Definitely don’t want any fires outside of the stove…

Looks nice Ron, that should keep the shop toasty, now all you need is firewood.

Yes I do. You know the old saying. Fire wood heats you a couple different times. lol

I thinking I might have enough scrap to keep me warm this winter.

If you were closer I could hook you up with chimney. Quit burning years ago and took chimney down when I put on the new roof. Have more than enough than you would need. Double wall stainless with ceramic liner. That stuff is costly !

Man that would have been perfect if you were closer. Double or triple wall pipe is definitely expensive. Thankfully I only need two 3′ sections of it to go trough and have clearance above the roof.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Had a buddy give me a small wood stove for the shop today. It’s small but should help knock the chill out of the shop while getting ride of most of my small waist material.

Oh,, that’s epic! What a nice friend. Getting rid of small scrap and making heat all at once.

Yes he has been a good friend for many years. Burning the scrap will be a big help. Other than trying to store it trough the warmer months.

Ron

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

That should be a great help during the colder months. I have had a woodstove in my shop for about 14 years now – works great to get the temp up after just having a small electric heater on to keep things from freezing.
    Only issue I have is having to open the door after a bit to cool it down inside. 🙂
    Great being able to use small cut-offs for shop heat also.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Burning the scrap will be a big help. Other than trying to store it trough the warmer months.

Oh yeah I forgot about your scrap. Now you just need to build a storage bin outside to keep it all in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Burning the scrap will be a big help. Other than trying to store it trough the warmer months.

Oh yeah I forgot about your scrap. Now you just need to build a storage bin outside to keep it all in.

Going to have to do something. I have 3-55 gal drums full right now. And lots of drops under the outfeed table that could be gotten rid of.

Ron

Doobie

Going to have to do something. I have 3-55 gal drums full right now. And lots of drops under the outfeed table that could be gotten rid of.

You won’t burn ply scraps will you? I think that’s dangerous if I’m not mistaken.

Classic finishing touch! What a great addition to your shop. Rocking chair, Keter bar, wood stove…. is anything missing?

Along with the PB 360. I might not ever leave the shop. lol

Gonna be the place to be for sure
    Nothing like that sound of crackling wood and the smell of burning wood while sipping on the eggnog with spiced rum and good tunes going. Enjoy it Ron well deserved. 👍💪

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Classic finishing touch! What a great addition to your shop. Rocking chair, Keter bar, wood stove…. is anything missing?

Nothing like that sound of crackling wood and the smell of burning wood while sipping on the eggnog with spiced rum and good tunes going. Enjoy it Ron well deserved. 👍💪

Do you have a refrigerator in there to cook up some snacks🥓🍳 to go with an ice cold🍻

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

You won’t burn ply scraps will you? I think that’s dangerous if I’m not mistaken.

We always did at the cabinet shop. Never heard it was bad to do. I will have to look into that.

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We always did at the cabinet shop. Never heard it was bad to do. I will have to look into that.

I think Doobie is talking about getting fixated by the burning glue fumes.

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I think Doobie is talking about getting fixated by the burning glue fumes.

Yes I’ve been reading a little about the bad things in the glue. Old ply is maybe a little worse the newer ply’s I guess. And can see where OSB or MDF type materials could be even worse. I can see that.
    The same is said about burning news paper, cardboard or anything with colored print.
    And never burn treated lumber. But that one was always a given.
    Some have even claimed burning standard 2x material is bad?

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Then hack it down the middle,,,,

Do you have a refrigerator in there to cook up some snacks🥓🍳 to go with an ice cold🍻

What about all the saw dust??? Can it burn? Can you make a hydraulic press and make bricks out of it??

Dirty

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I burned pine 1X and 2X but only for kindling. It burns hot and fast. Never used it as the main fuel for a fire though. I think the biggest issue is the build up of creasote when burning SPF.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I burned pine 1X and 2X but only for kindling. It burns hot and fast. Never used it as the main fuel for a fire though. I think the biggest issue is the build up of creasote when burning SPF.

Yes pine will burn hot and fast. Great kindling.

Back the the burning small amounts of plywood. Is that any worse for a person than cutting it or even sanding? Most claim you need to wear a mask to do so. And even then how good of a mask does one need. I’d say more than a cheap dust mask. We did that for a short time many years ago. And found nearly as much dust in my nose as without a mask. So we quit wearing them.

Ron

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Back the the burning small amounts of plywood. Is that any worse for a person than cutting it or even sanding? Most claim you need to wear a mask to do so. And even then how good of a mask does one need. I’d say more than a cheap dust mask. We did that for a short time many years ago. And found nearly as much dust in my nose as without a mask. So we quit wearing them.

Well…. if you put a ladder up and huff the smoke coming out of the chimney, that’s probably not too good for you. LOL I’d say burning small amounts are ok. That stove isn’t one of those catalytic burning types is it ? Shouldn’t burn any OSB, Ply or particleboard in those.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Well…. if you put a ladder up and huff the smoke coming out of the chimney, that’s probably not too good for you. LOL I’d say burning small amounts are ok. That stove isn’t one of those catalytic burning types is it ? Shouldn’t burn any OSB, Ply or particleboard in those.

Well that’s definitely not going to happen. lol
    It’s the small Vermont Castings Aspen. Non catalytic stove.

Ron

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s a lot of heat right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Well that’s definitely not going to happen. lol
    It’s the small Vermont Castings Aspen. Non catalytic stove.

Geeze see I just picked up some great information about what you shouldn’t burn in fireplaces. Thanks. I gotta warn my sister about the cardboard. She is thinking about burning all the cardboard boxes in her fireplace.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 1,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.343 seconds