dcsimg

@RonW WORKSHOP START TO FINNISH.

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 1,131 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Ron, when we bought our new house last year, the PO had wired the little garage (16 x 20) with 12 duplex outlets plus lights. i thought it was overkill for a tiny space like that but there are days – not many- that I would have more.
    Just sayin’ don’t scimp on outlets!

You are right. Don’t want to skimp on lights or outlets. I kinda want to get some benches build and in before doing much wiring.

You can never have too many outlets. When I wired my garage 15 x 23, I used all 12/2 and a few of my circuits are 20Amp.
    The one thing I wish I had more lighting at times.

i did the same. half of my outlets in garage/shop are on 15amp and on 20amp

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron, when we bought our new house last year, the PO had wired the little garage (16 x 20) with 12 duplex outlets plus lights. i thought it was overkill for a tiny space like that but there are days – not many- that I would have more.

You are right. Don’t want to skimp on lights or outlets. I kinda want to get some benches build and in before doing much wiring.

You can never have too many outlets. When I wired my garage 15 x 23, I used all 12/2 and a few of my circuits are 20Amp.

Did you use 20amp outlets? or just 15amp on a 20amp breaker?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

15amp outlets on 15amp breaker wired with 14ga wire and 20amp outlets on 20amp breaker wired with 12ga wire

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

redwood
    Pro

I also have quite a few receptacles in the ceiling. None of the lights are hardwired, they all plug in. But the receptacles are all switched, most on 3 ways.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also have quite a few receptacles in the ceiling. None of the lights are hardwired, they all plug in. But the receptacles are all switched, most on 3 ways.

Exactly how mine are, minus the 3 way and the door opener one of course. But that’s the one I used for the extension cord reel too so it all worked out good

Anonymous
    Inactive

15amp outlets on 15amp breaker wired with 14ga wire and 20amp outlets on 20amp breaker wired with 12ga wire

Cool, Got any pics of that?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Cool, Got any pics of that?

right now my garage is a mess! you can barely see the walls lol.
    i have a bunch of 5/8″x12’x4.5′ drywall sheets leaning against the wall, waiting to be hung. (bought them dirt cheap from a job site – left overs, including delivery) other section has storage totes stacked up.
    i check my computer if i have somewhere pictures taken from the installation

EDIT: here @Dabbs
    its not the best quality. 1st and 3rd are double gang boxes for 15amp and 20amp. i hooked up more 20s which you dont see in this old picture.
    before i started that wall, there was just one outlet.

@RonW sorry for messing up your thread. no more pictures and off comments 😛

Attachments:

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s the way to do it Mark. Years ago I hardwired one of my garages for ceiling lights. PITA when you need to change out the fixture. Mucxh easier to just unplug and plug in a new fixture.

Ron install outlets in the ceiling.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

That’s the way to do it Mark. Years ago I hardwired one of my garages for ceiling lights. PITA when you need to change out the fixture. Mucxh easier to just unplug and plug in a new fixture.

i am in the same boat. still have to decide hardwired or outlets.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

I hardwired all the lights in my shop. It’s been twelve years and so far so good.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I hadn’t thought about extra outlets in the rafters. But that sounds like a good idea.
    That is how the lights are wired.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Another item you might put up on the ceiling is a dust filtration unit. They are nice to have. I am very glad to have this unit in my shop.

Attachments:
    yellaD
    Pro

I don’t have one of those in my garage/shop. Do you think I need one? I was thinking I might..

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hey Ron you got the power outlet thing figured out yet

I don’t know why the need for a 15amp outlet when a 20 amp will carry most everything you plug in to it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Another item you might put up on the ceiling is a dust filtration unit. They are nice to have. I am very glad to have this unit in my shop.

I do think the dust filtration is great with those Lon. Only thing I don’t like is it pull’s the dust up in the air.
    I think I will build one that will be in a cart on the floor.

Hey Ron you got the power outlet thing figured out yet

I don’t know why the need for a 15amp outlet when a 20 amp will carry most everything you plug in to it.

Not sure if I will ever get it all figured out. lol
    I don’t know why anyone puts 15 amp plugs in a shop? All mine will be 20 amp.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

my garage had the 15amp outlets already installed, i just added a couple more.
    but i mainly added the 20amp outlets for my power tools

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

sorry for messing up your thread. no more pictures and off comments

Why not pictures? Although one showing the 15 & 20 amp outlets/breakers would’ve been nice

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Mine are hardwired; they were already in but having plug-in lights sounds like a great idea. There are at least 2 of mine I would like to move

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

sorry for messing up your thread. no more pictures and off comments

Why not pictures? Although one showing the 15 & 20 amp outlets/breakers would’ve been nice

I did Dabbs – scroll up. uploaded that picture yesterday

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s how I did mine, I thought I put in outlets to all the lights but I see now I did hard wire one in. I don’t remember why I did that but it’ll never need to be moved in the spot it’s in

Coincidentally the light in the pic that shows it being plugged in has blown one of the ballast this morning. Although I have extras but a perfect example of how easy it would be if I had to change out the entire light fixture

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 1,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.139 seconds