dcsimg

@RonW WORKSHOP START TO FINNISH.

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 1,131 total)
  • Author

Just to let you know, code requires 18 inches of fill above conduit. Your trench would technically need to be at least 19 5/8 inches to grade. Instead of filling it 12 inches and adding direct bury cable, add a run of 3/4 or 1 inch conduit for future low voltage use. That way you could add as needed.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Just to let you know, code requires 18 inches of fill above conduit. Your trench would technically need to be at least 19 5/8 inches to grade. Instead of filling it 12 inches and adding direct bury cable, add a run of 3/4 or 1 inch conduit for future low voltage use. That way you could add as needed.

Thanks Garrett, After measuring it looks like the ditch is at least 19″ deep everywhere I checked. So that’s going to be good enough for me.
    By the way, Welcome to BTP.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Got home about an hour before dark. Started the dig and got over half of it dug with the help of my wife. May try to get the rest in the morning before helping the BIL move.

Ron, bet you want to get it done before helping with the move? LOL

I’d be anxious to get it done before heading out anywhere.

Will you have a sub-panel in the shop? how many amps?

I have a both a CAT5 and CAT3 run out to my garage. Have yet to hook up a phone in there.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Sure will be nice to get power out there. and phone ….

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

redwood
    Pro

Wow, the dirt in Tennesee must be a lot easier digging then the dirt in Calif. Must be why the home prices are higher here.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Got home about an hour before dark. Started the dig and got over half of it dug with the help of my wife. May try to get the rest in the morning before helping the BIL move.

Ron, bet you want to get it done before helping with the move? LOL

I’d be anxious to get it done before heading out anywhere.

Will you have a sub-panel in the shop? how many amps?

I have a both a CAT5 and CAT3 run out to my garage. Have yet to hook up a phone in there.

I got all but 10′ done this morning. Yes will have it’s own panel. Running 60 amps to the shop.

Wow, the dirt in Tennesee must be a lot easier digging then the dirt in Calif. Must be why the home prices are higher here.

With all the rain it has the ground soft. It’s a sandy/clay mix. No rock here on my place so it was good digging.

Ron

Depends on what part of Tennessee and what time of the year. There is a lot of red clay around here which makes for hard digging. There are also lots of sandstones. Fortunately for Ron we’ve had a fair amount of rain in the past week which helped soften the ground some.

By the way, Ron, I have a couple of razor back trench shovels if you want to borrow them. (Owner not included)

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

Sure will be nice to get power out there. and phone ….

\

Maybe we have enough towers here where some areas don’t, but not to sure that I would run a phone line. We don;t even use a house phone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depends on what part of Tennessee and what time of the year. There is a lot of red clay around here which makes for hard digging. There are also lots of sandstones. Fortunately for Ron we’ve had a fair amount of rain in the past week which helped soften the ground some.

By the way, Ron, I have a couple of razor back trench shovels if you want to borrow them. (Owner not included)

my family all live in the southeast corner of TN, and have dug huge limestone slabs out of the ground, and used them for landscaping and flagstone patios. They’re up on a big hill…no red clay, but the ground is hard as a rock and doesn’t perk.

Doobie

Code here is 18 also. 24 if under driveway or sidewalk. Should be laid in bed of sand with pt over top or imbeded in concrete. I have to dig a trench for the power to my shed next year myself. Pretty well aol clay here. Not looking forward to it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looks great Ron ,, I can’t believe you got it dug. The wifey kick butt!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great, finally you got to continue working on it and since it was nice and wet it was easy to dig.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Code here is 18 also. 24 if under driveway or sidewalk. Should be laid in bed of sand with pt over top or imbeded in concrete. I have to dig a trench for the power to my shed next year myself. Pretty well aol clay here. Not looking forward to it.

@Doobie,
    Find out if you have to put a bare copper lead on the outside of the conduit? (trace wire) Like they do with gas lines.
    I had to add one to my garage feed when I put that in.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Looks great Ron ,, I can’t believe you got it dug. The wifey kick butt!!

Thanks Dirty. She did a great job digging the ditch.

Ron

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

So how was the moving and steak dinner Ron?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Moving is still going on today. I guess the dinner will be next weekend.

Ron

Oh no.. you didn’t fall for the steak dinner carrot to get you to help did you?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Oh no.. you didn’t fall for the steak dinner carrot to get you to help did you?

I sure hope he hasn’t hoodooed me.
    I would rather have gotten some conduit buried today than help move.

Ron

I was hoping to hear your trench was done and the hookup was underway. Good luck on the moving. Don’t hurt yourself by the way!

Doobie

@Doobie,
    Find out if you have to put a bare copper lead on the outside of the conduit? (trace wire) Like they do with gas lines.
    I had to add one to my garage feed when I put that in.

I’ll look into that better whether it is required when the time comes. Hadn’t heard of needing that.

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 1,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.135 seconds