dcsimg

@RonW WORKSHOP START TO FINNISH.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 1,131 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

TimelessQuality is correct. I’m doing a pole barn much like what he posted.

Cool thread, Ron; What size did you decide to go?

30x30x10

Sweet topic. Is this a kit you bought or just a size you decided on Ron?

Just the size I thought would work best that could afford.

Got most of the materials delivered this evening. So I decided to drill some holes and set the corner posts.

Attachments:

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Wow this is going to be an awesome shop when it is completed.

How are you handling the concrete slab, contracting out the pour but building your own forms?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Wow this is going to be an awesome shop when it is completed.

How are you handling the concrete slab, contracting out the pour but building your own forms?

Yes I will get someone to do the concrete for me. Just not something I would feel comfortable doing myself. The forms will be the bottom band on the building.

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for starting this one for me Dirty.

I was board last night and I bet this will a lot further than the cornhole thread I started a while back.

The slab will be poured after the walls are up. It will have a treated 2×6 band around the bottom to pour to.

So you will first put some post in holes in the ground set in cement? Then a 2×6 slab edge around the outside of the post? I guess the post will be on a 16″ layout so ifin you want to put some covering on the inside later?

Here’s one going up now… It’s at a city yard(park dept)

The posts look like they’re finger jointed pt on bottom and syp on top

Look at that! Right in the dirt. That’s nice it can be done that way up there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ron, how long do you expect the construction will take?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That’s a nice size @RonW. I could only dream of having a Workshop that big.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

So you will first put some post in holes in the ground set in cement? Then a 2×6 slab edge around the outside of the post? I guess the post will be on a 16″ layout so ifin you want to put some covering on the inside later?

Yes the posts are set in concrete. And most of the posts are on 10′ centers. If and when I start covering the walls I will just build 2×4 walls between the posts.

Ron, how long do you expect the construction will take?

I really don’t know Bill. I have a bunch of work going on right now. So I will have to fit this in when I can.

Ron

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Sounds like you have a lot of experience Ron, but I wanted to try to explain this post technique I thought was really cool…Just one way of doing it

The ‘poles’ are made of a triple 2×6. When putting them together, leave the center 2X short on the top, and the outers long.. kind of a perch

Just drop them in the holes and set them all, no need to watch elevation.

Then shoot the level line on all the posts and determine how high you want the truss relative to the line.

Then go around and measure the distance from each perch to the line, subtract it from your height, and cut filler blocks to bring the perches up to truss height..

Now you have a solid bearing for the pole trusses, can drop them in the slot, nail the sides and then trim the long outer 2X’s.

Sounds complicated when I explain it, but it’s not.

I’ll try to find some pics to explain it better.

--Steve

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have seen a couple done that way Steve.

Ron

Big place. It will be just as much fun filling it up and working in.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ron I hope you can get some Makita girl posters to put on the walls!

Dirty

Doobie

They don’t allow barn pole sheds here where I live. 🙁

@RonW, I would assume you are going to bring 220v service to the building. That was an after the fact challenge for me in my workshop/garage. I wish someone brought it up at the start. Things would have been a lot easier in that regard. Are you going to put anything on the concrete?

Really can’t beat pole style construction for speed and cost. Our shop is built the same way.

Just remember to finish as much as you can before putting stuff inside. Once you start to fill it it will take way longer to finish the interior.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

redwood
    Pro

If and when I start covering the walls I will just build 2×4 walls between the posts.

If? Does that mean it might not be completed? I hope your materials are properly stored, if this is going to be a drawn out process.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

yellaD
    Pro

That’s a dream shop, @RonW! Where do you live?

BTW, Does anyone have recommendations on how to “winterize” my garage, so that I can use it during the winter here in Toronto area? I’ve seen people put up insulation (?) against there garage door. I have a auto garage door opener and it’s only a single car garage, around 14’X20′. This is my first winter coming up and would love to continue using it as my shop.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Ron I hope you can get some Makita girl posters to put on the walls!

What kind of shop would it be without a couple quality posters? lol

Lon I will run 220 to it. Still undecided it it will get its own power/ meter.

If and when I start covering the walls I will just build 2×4 walls between the posts.

If? Does that mean it might not be completed? I hope your materials are properly stored, if this is going to be a drawn out process.

It will be finished to the point of being in the dry. Metal on windows and doors in. Don’t know wow long it will be before I insulated the walls.

YellaD I live in Tennessee.

Ron

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Had a good day for working today. Had a few light showers move through, but they didn’t amount to much. Got all the holes bored and posts set. Well other than the entry door posts.

Attachments:

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Had a good day for working today. Had a few light showers move through, but they didn’t amount to much. Got all the holes bored and posts set. Well other than the entry door posts.

Looks good Ron. I guess that is step one done. That new level will be high teck to shoot the bench marks.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice progress Ron. That’s a lot to get done working by yourself.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 1,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.370 seconds