dcsimg

Romex or not?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    BillTip
    Pro

I like the stuff- but I know some people don’t like it. What do you guys think?

joesainz
    Keymaster
    Chicago, IL

Bill – I’m in Chicago now, and everything is in pipe or armored cable in remodels. I like it that way I think. Romex can be damaged to easily.

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

I don’t have any problems with using romex, but I agree with Joe, in that it can be damaged too easily.

In Mass – We use Romex everywhere except where code dictates pipe of armored cable

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

I work with my two sons. We can pipe as a team almost as fast as if we just drilled and pulled Romex. I like the flexibility to pull new lines/switches if needed for future work. I have no personal problem with Romex.Just because something isn’t “CODE” in a certain geographic area doesn’t mean it is unsafe.

Is pipe code in your areas? Even behind walls?

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

When I say “pip” I am talking about EMT ( conduit )
    Yes, it is

Romex is pretty much the norm here in California residential construction (with some exceptions). With that said, we had a remodel project here a couple years ago and I wasn’t too happy when one of the carpenters fired a nail through a live circuit (Romex wiring) that was already living happily in a shear wall until then. I put the armored stuff in on some of my DIY projects, even when it’s considered overkill in this neck of the woods.

I have to say, I was also very happy to discover most of the electrical in our house was in conduit, which makes replacing ancient wiring a million times easier, especially when you’re dealing with plaster walls.

I never thought about removing and re-installing in conduit – much easier

frym
    Pro

Here in TX there is a lot of ROMEX use. Yes it’s weaker, but it all depends how careless you are in installing it. It is so hard to ignore how much less it costs vs. conduit.

Dodge
    Pro

I use them both based on what the code calls for. Here Romex is what is mostly used for residential, and Pipe or bx for commercial/industrial.

True depends on code regulations. I like Romex
    Its easier to run and a lot flexible then Emt
    Or armoured cable . Residential indoors Romex
    Outside emt or cable armoured. Commercial
    Industrial EMT.

Romex is the norm here as well, it is easier to work with . when called for I prefer EMT to armoured cable (BX) as I find armoured a pain in the butt.

Attachments:

YES I HATE ARMOURED CABLE TOO. TOO MUCH HASSLE FOR ME.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m no expert on wiring but I do it once in a while. I recently did a trailer and I sleep better knowing I used Armored rather than Romex, But I hated the extra work of cutting it.

From my limited experience – I have mostly seen romex, but it has just been residential stuff

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Chicag , where the write the codes to keep the electricians working.

In Minnesota we use romex wherever possible. Much faster and less expensive. Rework later is not as easy howev er.

The house I grew up in was done in BX/armoured. It was overkill at the time (we were very rural and code was very relaxed), but it was quite resistant to errant nails/screws/etc… If I were pulling wire in a new build or a down to studs build, I’d be inclined to go with BX again, just because. I’d rather overengineer electrical stuff than underengineer it. Conduit would be an acceptible second (and better for rework), but BX is more of an all-in-one type thing and seems like it would be nominally quicker. Anytime I open a wall and see bare romex, I start to worry. And it’s rare that I see those protection plates used properly where the romex goes through a stud… so I think I’m justified in my nervousness!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Romex is the norm in NC. I can see the advantage to using conduit especially for remodels, but with everybody trying to get the lowest price it can be a tough sell.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

In Wisconsin we can get away with unprotected romex just about anywhere. I have not see it first hand but I have heard that our neighbors to the south (IL) require that all Romex be shielded with either conduit or BX.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.642 seconds