dcsimg

rolled flooring questions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I have some sheet flooring in the new house that I would like to remove.

Need tips and tricks for getting it up. Least amount of chemicals and in as few pieces as possible. I dont know if there is asbestos but i would like to act like there is. Not sure if ill do the testing on it.

Here is a photo of the two. Anyone know for sure that either type has asbestos?? Yes i know in the backer or mastic is possible as well

The yellow you can see at the seem has nice hardwood underneath and is starting to come up. The brown is just in the butlers pantry and i have no idea if it was laid at the same time. I suspect both are well over 30 years old but again unsure

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

My first inclination is that you should have the flooring AND the backing material AND the adhesive tested for asbestos…not something you want to skip IMO.

As for removal, a wide floor scraper would do the job, but you’ll feel it in the morning! I would rent a motorized flooring scraper.

What type of flooring are you planning to put back down? That may effect the removal process too.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

My first inclination is that you should have the flooring AND the backing material AND the adhesive tested for asbestos…not something you want to skip IMO.

As for removal, a wide floor scraper would do the job, but you’ll feel it in the morning! I would rent a motorized flooring scraper.

What type of flooring are you planning to put back down? That may effect the removal process too.

I am debating getting the testing. I know its cheap but i want to look into local regs. Dont want to get a pos test and then be forced to hire an abatement crew. Debating just removing it myself and treating it as if it were positive. I am hoping “i know asking for alot” that the hardwood underneath is in good shape and can be brought back. If it were not for that options i wouldnt remove it just cover it. That might still end up being the way to go depending on removal.

I am curious to try a steamer, has anyone has success with that method>?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here a homeowner can remove a limited amount of asbestos containing material, but there are specific disposal requirements

Cut out those high spots and just cover it with 1/4″ plywood or thicker . Don’t worry then about the asbestos at all .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Cut out those high spots and just cover it with 1/4″ plywood or thicker . Don’t worry then about the asbestos at all .

Encapsulate it!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Quite a few options there. If you are going to restore the hardwood, you might try lifting the old flooring with help from a heat gun. Then you run the risk of having to use a solvent to get rid of the residual adhesive.

It would be worthwhile IMO to do a couple of trials to see which method gives the best results with the least effort.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.375 seconds