dcsimg

Roll roofing fascia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Hey guys I have a chore to do for my stair builder. His shop is 300ft long and the eaves are shot. About 15″ in fascia, 1/4″ fir ply underside and they covered it in roll roofing (face nailed). Its been there about 45 yrs…..

It faces the railroad tracks and the plan is to repair wood. Probably CDX (since I could get 3 rips out of it), vinyl soffit underneath and then the cheapest fascia cover is putting back the roll roofing.

The ideal thing would be to split the roll roofing in half, tuck it under the drip edge, flip it up run a bead of cement, flop it back down, strike a line and cut the width.

Much easier said than done. Even an 8 ft section is going to be real clumsy. Any ideas? Started thinking of roof shingles but then it has a build up which may not fit under the existing drip edge.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh that’s a ugly mess!! It looks like you will be capping a lot of rot that will keep rotting.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That is ugly ! I was going to suggest SA roll shingle starter, but that fascia looks more than 7 1/2″…. and I don’t like that idea anyway. Your stair builder should just bite the bullet and go with coil stock

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Lol so much for help. Don’t wanna do it to tell you the truth but he calls me for quite a bit at his own home through the years.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Just a thought, Could you put vinyl siding on it with a finish strip at the top drip edge ? Looks like no one sees that side.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thats worth considering Ron thanks for the suggestion.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think I would just bend it out of coil stock. You would only have a couple bucks a foot into it and a heck of a lot less labor.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I know coil would make life easier even with 7″ rips in waste. $ 97/ roll 50 x 6 rolls verse $37/roll 33 x 5 rolls ripping in half.
    The money matters less if we save a lot of labor.

The fascia is big and likely lumpy so that’s going make coil look like hell though.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

How about some frp board?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The fascia is big and likely lumpy so that’s going make coil look like hell though.

Looking forward to see how this gets fixed and what method was used.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I know coil would make life easier even with 7″ rips in waste. $ 97/ roll 50 x 6 rolls verse $37/roll 33 x 5 rolls ripping in half.
    The money matters less if we save a lot of labor.

If it is that lumpy, it would probably make the rolled roofing look pretty bad also.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

15″ is pretty wide for a flat piece of coil, but could you make a couple bends in it to create a stiffening rib lengthwise?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The roll roofing will camofluage fascia imperfections way better than coil. Given the location facing the railroad tracks and dead end were not looking to stress on beauty too much.

Im still thinking this out as I see you guys chime in. Im not likely going to get to this until mid January.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Yeah I was thinking frp board as well, what are your thought?
    Good luck!

http://www.wollongongroofingcompany.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.234 seconds