dcsimg

Rockler Edgebander

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Oh I never heard that in my life. We never got a free tools with the lumbers. Or any material.thats good that you have connection like that @dirtywhiteboy

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Check out this one though.

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/tools-and-shop-supplies/workshop-accessories/tool-accessories/edgebanding-accessories/end-trimmer-for-edgebanding/1061625/sku-PPEN9

Looks premium. Wonder what Richelieu want for it.

$ 72.71.
    Plus the applicable taxes of course.

Doobie

@doobie I have some glue on my guides…I figured I would. It scrapes off easy enough when cool. After I would run one edge through and cut the banding I would pull the edgebanding back out of the guides. Otherwise the heat gun just keep melting the glue and you get a mess. When I was ready to run another edge I would feed the end inti the guides, let the glue warm up, and then feed it to the roller and start pushing my piece through.

That’s pretty well the way I was doing it. I think I went from too fast a feed rate and the temp to low to the opposite with going to slow with the temp at max. I need to practice some more maybe and get it just right. The amount of glue build up after 15-20 feet can’t be right. I must be doing it wrong. I know if I would have kept on going much longer it would have been getting messy. Look at my pic below of the roller and the steel outfeed vertical below. There’s no way I’m cleaning this thing after every 20 feet of tape. It defeats the purpose of this thing. I can edgeband much faster and easier with my old iron.

It says in my owner’s manual to take care not to scratch the inner parts of the guides when removing the glue build up, so be careful Andrew you don’t ruin them with sharp edges. I basically had some paper towel soaked with Citrus/Orange Peel gunk remover laid in the guides and after 5-10 minutes proceeded to just rub it away, but it didn’t just slide off as I would have liked, took a bit of rubbing for a few minutes. I’d prefer to use something stronger to remove it by actually fully immersing them in some kind of solution, I just don’t know what to use. Alcohol, Xylene, Turpentine, I dunno which of any of those types of solvents would work to remove glue.

The manufacturer recommends to heat up the guides to remove glue residue. I just think that would be an exercise in frustration. First, you’d have to handle them with pliers, and you’d have sticky stretchy crap that would likely just smear around as you try to move it off.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh I never heard that in my life. We never got a free tools with the lumbers. Or any material.thats good that you have connection like that @dirtywhiteboy

It’s not me, they do it for anybody. It’s called a promotion. You know like this site.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How much does it cost?

Tools don’t cost us money they make us money.

Really?! I had no clue that you guys make money with tools. That’s new to me…
    So you just walk into the store, grab what ever tool you need and walk out without paying because it doesn’t cost you anything? wow thats cool.

Different way of looking at things madman. HO, DIYer vs Pro. To a HO or DIYer tools cost money. They make a job easier, you may want and like them, but at the end of the day they cost with no return on investment. Pro, the tool costs the same as for a HO or DIYer but with that tool he makes a living. The more tools he has the easier his job becomes and the more productive he can be. Example Circular saw $150 vs Hand saw $20 the hand saw is much cheaper but if all the Pro has is a hand saw to frame a house it may take him 2 weeks to frame that house where if he had a circular saw maybe a week. With the second week now free he can take on another job and make more money. So the extra $130 spent on the circular saw allowed him to get paid for 2 jobs instead of one. To a Pro tools make money.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

To a HO or DIYer tools cost money. They make a job easier, you may want and like them, but at the end of the day they cost with no return on investment.

I can’t say I agree with that. In buying a tool and doing something myself, I’m not hiring somebody else to do the job. Often, the tool has paid for itself in doing such.

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

Just a note about the double edge trimmer, it works well with PVC or other materials, but not so well with veneer or any real wood edgebanding. You have to cut with the grain, if you don’t it will most certainly will cause tearout on the edgebanding.

If you plan on edgebanding a lot, I would suggest getting a trim router and either a 45 chamfer bit with a bearing, or a 1/16” rounder bit with a bearing. You can run the router bit over the edge and this will clean it up nicely without tearout.

Doobie

Just a note about the double edge trimmer, it works well with PVC or other materials, but not so well with veneer or any real wood edgebanding. You have to cut with the grain, if you don’t it will most certainly will cause tearout on the edgebanding.

That’s what I found as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.328 seconds