dcsimg

Rockler Edgebander

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

As some of you know I purchased an edgebander from Rockler. I had a bunch of MDF doors to edgeband and wanted something to speed up the process. I didn’t want to break the bank but wanted something I could also use down the line for shelving, cabinetry, etc.

I read enough about this unit to go ahead an order it. It has a high temperature hot air heat gun that blows on the pre-glued edgebanding to melt the glue. There are 2 guides that you adjust to fit the width of the edgebanding you are using.

Once I got the guides where I wanted them, I ran a few test pieces through. You move steady but not fast. the glue cools about as fast as it heats so you don’t want to stop mid way on a piece.

Here is a quick video showing it in use.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t edgeband very often, but this thing looks quite handy. Its certainly much better than the heat gun and J-roller combo that currently use.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I wasn’t aware Rockler made that unit. Something to check out and keep in mind. Somewhere down the road that may be useful if I need to edge band some plywood or mdf. Thanks for sharing. I take it you are giving it a thumbs up.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

As some of you know I purchased an edgebander from Rockler.

That’s a nice flow you’ve got going there. The Rockler edgebander looks to be a good investment.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

I bought the Freud version second hand a couple of years ago, but still haven’t used it. Just not big enough jobs to warrant hauling it from my basement upstairs to my shop.

But when I saw your post in toolaholic on geting yours recently you got me revisiting where I could store it in my small shop. After many fruitless head scratching times in the past on this dilemma, I just came up with a place for it that doesn’t otherwise eat up valuable shop space late the nite before.

It seems so simple now, but I’ve racked my brains out on where to put this thing where it would be close by and easy to get to. I still have to make some mods to its new nesting area as right now it is being held there precariously with big rubber twist ties.

Now I’m gonna likely use mine tomorrow after watching your video just now which I thank you for taking the time to shoot and post up. What heat setting did you have the gun at Andrew?

I did not realize how slow the feed rate was and that the glue cools so fast. You don’t feel it needs a run with a hand held J roller after just to be safe?

I love that end cutter you have. I’ve looked for good ones up here in Canada before without success and just now found what looks like a good one on sale at LV I just tossed in my cart. Looks like a Virutex or a knock off of it.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43738&p=42536

Check out this one though.

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/tools-and-shop-supplies/workshop-accessories/tool-accessories/edgebanding-accessories/end-trimmer-for-edgebanding/1061625/sku-PPEN9

Looks premium. Wonder what Richelieu want for it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

As some of you know I purchased an edgebander from Rockler.

Andrew that thing is slick. Thank you for posting the video.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

As some of you know I purchased an edgebander from Rockler. I had a bunch of MDF doors to edgeband and wanted something to speed up the process. I didn’t want to break the bank but wanted something I could also use down the line for shelving, cabinetry, etc.

I read enough about this unit to go ahead an order it. It has a high temperature hot air heat gun that blows on the pre-glued edgebanding to melt the glue. There are 2 guides that you adjust to fit the width of the edgebanding you are using.

Once I got the guides where I wanted them, I ran a few test pieces through. You move steady but not fast. the glue cools about as fast as it heats so you don’t want to stop mid way on a piece.

Thanks for the video OA. Looks like it works well.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That table you are using seem to be a killer table the way you can clamp up for the trimming. What is that ledge thing you are setting the doors on?

Dirty

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

That’s a great edgebander you got there OA. How much does it cost?
    It sure looks like that the tools ease up the edgebanding process.
    thanks for the video as well…

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That’s a great edgebander you got there OA. How much does it cost?
    It sure looks like that the tools ease up the edgebanding process.
    thanks for the video as well…

yah good video, i’d also like to know what the cost is, the one lucky thing is that buffalo is so close I can always swing down and pick one up for a future project.

Doobie

I love that end cutter you have. I’ve looked for good ones up here in Canada before without success and just now found what looks like a good one on sale at LV I just tossed in my cart. Looks like a Virutex or a knock off of it.

Went and got the end cutter and the trimmer today. They are made in Spain Virutex. They must be fairly new to LV as even the manager there sdidn’t know they had them.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks for the great Video, that looks like it works pretty well. I have always looked at them but never tried one. It may be an addition to the shop someday after seeing that.

Doobie

i’d also like to know what the cost is, the one lucky thing is that buffalo is so close I can always swing down and pick one up for a future project.

There around $500 CDA. Grizzly sells em too I believe. They’re a rebadge of the Freud EB100 which is the one I have.

That table you are using seem to be a killer table the way you can clamp up for the trimming. What is that ledge thing you are setting the doors on?

Thanks @DirtyWhiteBoy! It has been a very versatile setup for me. I made a temporary support from a couple 2x’s to support my work for edgebanding. I am working on a id to my cut table to integrate a permanent one.

That is the end trimmer I got @Doobie. I was thrilled with it. Kinda pricey for what it does…but it does it perfectly. It trims the edge at the end of the board perfectly flush.

I have ok results with the double sided trimmer with wood veneer but not perfect result. I did get some tear out. I read tye FastCap has one with upgraded blades that I may order the next time I have a bunch of edgebanding to do. Now with pvc edging that double sided trimmer is absolutely perfect.

Andrew

Doobie

I have ok results with the double sided trimmer with wood veneer but not perfect result.

I didn’t get the side trimmer to act as a primary cutter myself, just to cut for when I either don’t want to get out my MFK router or when I just want to stack some boards that have been edge banded but the banding width is oversized and I would want to stack them pending using my MFK at a much later time and not want to potentially damage the edge banding otherwise.

The end trimmer is something I’ve eyed for a long time as the MFK doesn’t really do that. Up until finding it on the LV website two days ago, I thought I had to import it for some ridiculous price. I was thrilled when I discovered they were Virutex which the LV site does not mention or you simply cannot tell from the pics they have of them.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How much does it cost?

Tools don’t cost us money they make us money.

Dirty

Doobie

Well, I used my edgebander this morning and after figuring out feed rates and what temp to set it at, basically the highest setting, I can’t say I’m overly thrilled with this thing. I found that the glue residue builds up on the leader guides and also the roller itself. I only ran about 20 feet of banding, but I was finding the gum up was nearing having to let the unit cool down and remove the glue build ups otherwise it was likely gonna be a clumsy mess occuring shortly.

The owners manual says to simply heat up the guides and remove with a putty knife, but that’s not maybe so easy as the rollers would be awful hot to handle and may be a sticky stretchy mess in trying to remove. Have you had to clean your guides yet Andrew? How did you handle that if you did? Were yours gumming up as quick as mine seemed to be?

Maybe my heat setting is in fact too high or I’m not feeding fast enough. One of the issues is also that when trying to start a new edge, is that the glue is almost too slick to stay on the edge by pushing the board along alone and requires feeding the tape from the back end for the first few inches.

I’m gonna try to clean one of the gunked up guides with citrus solve and then maybe resin blade/bit remover if that fails.

@Overanalyze.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

How much does it cost?

Really?! I had no clue that you guys make money with tools. That’s new to me…
    So you just walk into the store, grab what ever tool you need and walk out without paying because it doesn’t cost you anything? wow thats cool.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How much does it cost?

Really?! I had no clue that you guys make money with tools. That’s new to me…
    So you just walk into the store, grab what ever tool you need and walk out without paying because it doesn’t cost you anything? wow thats cool.

Well what even cooler is when it’s delivered to the site with a load of lumber and it’s free because you just bought a hundred blades or in the 90s Bostich gave a gun with a pallet of nails.
    On many jobs I’ve done the tool was priced into the job and delivered with the lumber.
    Although I have never got a Rockler Edgebander with a load of lumber.

Dirty

@Doobie I have some glue on my guides…I figured I would. It scrapes off easy enough when cool. After I would run one edge through and cut the banding I would pull the edgebanding back out of the guides. Otherwise the heat gun just keep melting the glue and you get a mess. When I was ready to run another edge I would feed the end inti the guides, let the glue warm up, and then feed it to the roller and start pushing my piece through.

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.446 seconds