dcsimg

Ridgid as a 18v Tool line

This topic contains 101 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • Author

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Anybody using the Ridgid 18v lithium line? I need to replace my Dewalt 18v nicad line. Ridgid has some good deals right now. Any ideas? My fall back idea is to just replace batteries but my tools are starting to show a good bit of wear. If you remember my previous comments, my drill is still shooting sparks like a fourth of July sparkler.

redwood
    Pro

In my eyes, you usually get what you pay for. Rigid is definately below most of the main tool manufacturers, cost wise. The plus is that I think that they have lifetime warranties. The downside is that I’ve heard that the warranty is sometimes hard to collect on.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I think some of the Ridgid tools are nice and others not as strong. The router is decent and looks like a copy of one of the Bosch routers. Not sure on cordless, though.

When you say your drill is shooting sparks — is that when you stop or all the time while it is running? Reason why I ask is that I have a couple of Hilti’s and they each do that when I let go of the trigger. Never was able to figure out why…they are newer and have done it since day one.

Orange County, CA

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Thanks for the reminder about you get what you pay for.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Scot, I have seem some electric brakes that create a good deal of sparking.

As for Rigid, I have used them and they are a decent tool. I have certainly not used one till failure so I cannot attest to durability.

I think as long as you come in knowing that the support you will get with regards to servicing the tool may be slow, painful, and possibly non-existant, then feel free to buy it. The warranty IS a great aspect of Ridgid tools, but it won’t ever be a fast transaction… Otherwise, the tools will perform relatively well – not likely as high as some other pro brands, but it will get the job done well enough.

John S

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I appreciate the input. I think I will baby the Dewalt tools a little longer and save my pennies to get top of the line

I appreciate the input. I think I will baby the Dewalt tools a little longer and save my pennies to get top of the line

That would be my recommendation…I have wasted so much money in the past trying to buy a little cheaper only to have to upgrade sooner that it just does not make sense. Buy once, cry once has become my new philosophy, especially if buying something that will see lots of use. If you are really after longevity, the Hilti drills I believe (or used to)come with a lifetime cost for replacement where you only have to pay a certain amount max to either repair/replace the tool after the warranty. This could have changed, but it helps give some predictability on future costs if you have to go down that path.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think as long as you come in knowing that the support you will get with regards to servicing the tool may be slow, painful, and possibly non-existant, then feel free to buy it. The warranty IS a great aspect of Ridgid tools, but it won’t ever be a fast transaction… Otherwise, the tools will perform relatively well – not likely as high as some other pro brands, but it will get the job done well enough.

Not everybody has a good time with the HD and Ridgid tool line as JohnS has noted! I live where we have the busiest HD in the country and the service is good. I’m thinkin JohnS just may know this guy He seems to really like the tools

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

<P>I think as long as you come in knowing that the support you will get with regards to servicing the tool may be slow, painful, and possibly non-existant, then feel free to buy it. The warranty IS a great aspect of Ridgid tools, but it won’t ever be a fast transaction… Otherwise, the tools will perform relatively well – not likely as high as some other pro brands, but it will get the job done well enough.</P>

<P>Not everybody has a good time with the HD and Ridgid tool line as JohnS has noted! I live where we have the busiest HD in the country and the service is good. I’m thinkin JohnS just may know this guy He seems to really like the tools</P><figure class=oe-video-container><IFRAME height=578 src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/59tEfsoChCg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameBorder=0 width=770 allowfullscreen></IFRAME></figure>

That is exactly what I think of Ridgid tools too 🙂

Attachments:

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Seems like “Classic Rigid”. He should have bought the JobMax.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I kinda think there is a curve all the newer tools go through? I can remember when MKE had a lot of problems with their batterys and DeFault too! I know some guys that have the 18 volt line and like them. These guys are working carpenters not HO. I won’t be buying any of their 18volt line I do like the way that guy gets his point across

Dirty

That would be my recommendation…I have wasted so much money in the past trying to buy a little cheaper only to have to upgrade sooner that it just does not make sense. Buy once, cry once has become my new philosophy, especially if buying something that will see lots of use. If you are really after longevity, the Hilti drills I believe (or used to)come with a lifetime cost for replacement where you only have to pay a certain amount max to either repair/replace the tool after the warranty. This could have changed, but it helps give some predictability on future costs if you have to go down that path.

I think you are correct with regard to Hilti drills – every tool has a maximum cost to repair/replace the tools, but it is about half to 2/3 the price of a new Hilti, which is normally the cost of other pro grade tools…

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Dewalt tools are getting just as cheap as Rigid tools as far as quality . They are nothing like they used to be .

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I completely agree John, I think the only good thing Dewalt makes anymore is their saws.

EDIT: And I am not talking about their recip saw!

Not everybody has a good time with the HD and Ridgid tool line as JohnS has noted! I live where we have the busiest HD in the country and the service is good. I’m thinkin JohnS just may know this guy He seems to really like the tools

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/59tEfsoChCg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

haha I just watched the video. I don’t mind it one bit! And the guy definitely gets his point across haha

Attachments:

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That dude in the video was funny. I did a lot of research before I began buying my tools for the business. I use to have some 19.2 Craftsman stuff, but it was stupid old and I didn’t want to take the chance it breaking while on the job. I bought it when I needed something for once in a while use. I liked the tool, but it was outdated. That and Craftsman sucks for professionals as it will void any warranty automatically.

BOT: I looked at Rigid, DeWalt, Hitachi, Bosch, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Makita to name a few. I went from store to store, putting tools in my hand, playing with them, etc. What I found was that the Rigid stuff just felt cheap and like it would break soon. I believe that these tools are best left for the single mom and/or college student. People that won’t use a tool much after they buy it. Most people purchase items out of need, and not a steady lifetime of use. IMHO Rigid was the bottom of the barrel for what I needed. I wanted something that I could use and abuse for years to come, and the Bosch drills are working well so far. They feel nice in a bare hand, and my hand is comfortable being wrapped around them. Kind of putting my hand on the wife’s butt, it’s just right.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m not touching that one

Dirty

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i definitley havent been impressed by rigids tools or dewalts.. the only tool ive had from rigid that never gave me issues was my 23 gauge micropinner..

the only dewalt saw thats any good in my opinion is their table saws

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have you used the 18volt line Jeff?

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.594 seconds