dcsimg

Rhino PD 200 Pneumatic Post Driver

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We are proud owners of one of these post drivers…can’t say enough good things about it. Since buying it a couple of years back, we’ve installed 4 docks on dry lake beds or in 4′ of water..it works awesome and my husband hugs it all the time. We’ve also helped the company sell 3 more from calls we’ve got to see how well it worked.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Where we have our lake place in Iowa they use those for installing our docks. All of our docks are 4 x 4 posts with braces, 2 x 6 cross members and 2 x 12 planking. They have to be removed every year and reinstalled in the spring. Dock building is a big business there.

Many of the dock companies have dedicated barges just to build the docks.

Interesting! How long does it take to drive a post with these?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d like to know that as well.

Are there any videos of this thing in action?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’d like to know that as well.

Are there any videos of this thing in action?

I’d like to see a video as well. Looks like a mini battering ram of sorts.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Anonymous

it does work as a battering ram..nope, no videos..sorry guys…we’ve got another coming up when the lake gets drained, and can make a really good video at that point so you can see how well it works. As far as the time frame…we were in 4′ of water, silt near the bank, then bedrock farther out. The post near the enbankment didn’t take an hour. The other 14 posts out in the bedrock took the rest of the day..all 6×6’s, penciled down on the top, 2 man job

Anonymous

I know there’s some videos of men using these to drive guard rail posts in the ground…that’s the only videos I’ve seen. @kurt@welkerhomes.com….I seen your post about the docks having to be broke down, and reinstalled each year on the other thread..but that still amazes me that has to be done that way. So, it’s like a Christmas Club account…got to have a yearly dock account as well?

I ran across this video of a similar (but bigger) pneumatic driver:

So cool, I really want one…

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’ve always thought that’d be fun work, building docks.

But I’ve always wondered about layout. You can’t set batter boards in the drink, or mark the surface, so how do you get the layout perfect?

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I ran across this video of a similar (but bigger) pneumatic driver:

I can’t believe how it stays on the end of the board bouncing around like that. Never seen such a tool.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I know there’s some videos of men using these to drive guard rail posts in the ground…that’s the only videos I’ve seen. @kurt@welkerhomes.com….I seen your post about the docks having to be broke down, and reinstalled each year on the other thread..but that still amazes me that has to be done that way. So, it’s like a Christmas Club account…got to have a yearly dock account as well?

I sit on the board of our Condo Association and when we budget each year, we have to include about 20 to 25 K for the docks, it depends on water level and other things. Most of the other associations have the same thing. We have to take our lifts out and reset them each spring also. that is our cost and not the association. depending on the size of the lift, it runs between 300 and 600 each year for each lift also. on the lake chain we are on, I would guess there are 3 to 4 thousand lifts that have to be removed and reset each year and a few thousand docks also.

Anonymous

We are proud owners of one of these post drivers…can’t say enough good things about it. Since buying it a couple of years back, we’ve installed 4 docks on dry lake beds or in 4′ of water..it works awesome and my husband hugs it all the time. We’ve also helped the company sell 3 more from calls we’ve got to see how well it worked.

Gee I assumed yous had to drill holes for the posts, man that little thing works terrific after seeing the video above

Anonymous

@ Kurt@welkerhomes.com….so there’s a new career for folks I’ve never heard about before…sorry I’m so amazed that this happens on a yearly basis…makes sense that it would considering the weathering..just never thought about it. @ Dabbs and Doobie….we were just as hocked when we finally got it up on top of the post, and flipped the switch. We did order a special collar to go on top of the penciled down post, which really keeps it snug…but after that we just backed up and watched. Very cool indeed. @ Delta..that pic of the dock on this thread was my husband’s first dock back in 2013…he came up with that layout on his own, and how he “marked” it and got it right is beyond me…he’s good…:)…real good. His deck building is the same way….not any big huge extravagant decks, but they tend to be flawless

amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

we’ve got another coming up when the lake gets drained,

??? how often do they drain your lake?

www.wordsnwood.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@ Kurt@welkerhomes.com….so there’s a new career for folks I’ve never heard about before…sorry I’m so amazed that this happens on a yearly basis…makes sense that it would considering the weathering..just never thought about it. @ Dabbs and Doobie….we were just as hocked when we finally got it up on top of the post, and flipped the switch. We did order a special collar to go on top of the penciled down post, which really keeps it snug…but after that we just backed up and watched. Very cool indeed. @ Delta..that pic of the dock on this thread was my husband’s first dock back in 2013…he came up with that layout on his own, and how he “marked” it and got it right is beyond me…he’s good…:)…real good. His deck building is the same way….not any big huge extravagant decks, but they tend to be flawless

Shortly after the Ice goes out they start building docks and up until Memorial Day, that is the Must be done date. I would guess there are a couple hundred guys working 7 days a week to get them all done in time. A lot of trades men just drop everything to install docks. I know of a drywall / Stucco guy who shuts down that part of his business to install about 250 docks every spring. When the docks are done, it is back to drywall / stucco. The Big guys that do a lot of the big docks actually have barge mounted hydraulic cranes to set lifts and build the docks. If I see one this weekend I will get a picture and post it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That is an awesome tool, i’ve never thought about how the docks get installed but wow I like that tool, wish I had a reason to use one heh.

Anonymous

@kurt@welkerhomes.com..yes, thank you! Would love to see some pics of how it all works. When I was searching for something or someone to help before we bought the Rhino, I had contacted people with the barges down on the Ohio river….and they basically laughed at me because it was such a small job….but one of those guys is whom told me about the PD200. I would say it’s probably the same way up near Cleveland at Lake Erie. Thank you for the info, and now I’ve learned something new.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

On our lakes they would never let us drive piles for a dock.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

building near water around here is a P.I.T.A.

Very cool device. I am also interested in some video. Always cool to see other building techniques.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.933 seconds