dcsimg

Review: Skilsaw SPT64MTA – 01 14" Abrasive Chop Saw

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have no doubts the person your giving thesaw to knows the ins and outs. But just thinking that it;s important to watch who get different tools. Not everyone should have them

Great point Ed, Yeah this guy is hip to metal tools. He actually works in a metal fab shop and does a lot of welding and cutting, I’ve borrowed his personal welder a few times when I need one. But I’ve taken some little welding jobs of mine to his work when it’s something that needs a no-nonsense ‘Professional’ welder to do, Although I’ve never had a weld of mine fail but I still feel he’s better at it than I am. That Milwaukee saw will be a nice little payback 🙂

Congratulations on the saw,
    That’s some differences in the speed of the cuts,
    I guess the difference in 500 rpm at that speed can make a huge difference in the speed of the cut,

Great review Boyd.

Good on you at passing down a good tool to a friend 🙂

It’s the ole ‘Pay It Forward’ thing 🙂 ….Yeah I’ve had that saw for over 10 years and thought it was as good as any others in it’s class, Figured I’d have it forever. He’ll appreciate it…

BTW, I put one of those tags to good use already. Thank you very much @boschmanbrian

You are welcome, glad to see you like them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but I’ve had a few too many cutting discs shatter on grinders. Definitely not fun, the more protection the better!

You are right there. Scary thing to happen. I wear a full face shield.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

but I’ve had a few too many cutting discs shatter on grinders. Definitely not fun, the more protection the better!

You are right there. Scary thing to happen. I wear a full face shield.

The guard on what ever grinder or machine you’re using is a must too.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The guard on what ever grinder or machine you’re using is a must too.

You are right Dirty, I see a lot of guys removing the guards to get better access.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@Dabbs,
    I notice in the picture that there is a rubber foot missing.
    Do you think this is intentional? With the sparks coming off the guard, maybe melt it?
    All pictures by Skil show a rubber foot in place

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs,
    Do you think this is intentional? With the sparks coming off the guard, maybe melt it?

I inquired about it missing with Skil and was told it IS intentional, And for the reason you mention.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@dabbs,

I inquired about it missing with Skil and was told it IS intentional, And for the reason you mention.

ThanX,
    They must have changed their mind after setting up the product page.

— Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dabbs,

What? What foot is missing??

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Interesting that they would just short the rubber foot because of the sparks. Why not put a guard on it?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs,

What? What foot is missing??

It’s the little rubber covering on the corner that the sparks tend to fly towards, Depending on how ya look at it it’s either the left rear or the right front LOL. It’s not a great big deal but it is strange

Interesting that they would just short the rubber foot because of the sparks. Why not put a guard on it?

Yeah I think there could be a better solution then just remove the rubber covering/foot, Maybe they had a bunch of them melt away so they just removed it lol.. I’ll bet they get a lot of calls complaining about it, I just looked at some other reviews and they all complain about the missing foot. So I guess that’s just the way it is

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just looked at some other reviews and they all complain about the missing foot. So I guess that’s just the way it is

Guess that was the easiest cheapest solution. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ll bet they get a lot of calls complaining about it, I just looked at some other reviews and they all complain about the missing foot. So I guess that’s just the way it is

That’s why I asked as I had read the reviews. Maybe they need to update the product pictures to reflect that fact, then it would be more obvious that the foot was left off.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I just looked at some other reviews and they all complain about the missing foot. So I guess that’s just the way it is

Guess that was the easiest cheapest solution. LOL

well if it isn’t really integral to the machine and it will cost more to replace it, heck just leave it off. save bosch some money in the future versions lol.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Just curious if you used the same abrasive wheels on both saws when you did the test? There is a big difference between brands of discs as to how fast they cut, maybe that had some influence on the cutting speed of the two machines?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just curious if you used the same abrasive wheels on both saws when you did the test? There is a big difference between brands of discs as to how fast they cut, maybe that had some influence on the cutting speed of the two machines?

Good point, I will say I just put a new blade on the Milwaukee the last time I used it so it just had a few cuts on it. Although I don’t think that really means much with an abrasive blade

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I worked at a concrete pre cast plant several years ago, i built rebar cages and bent pins etc for various forms. I had to cut a lot of rebar and up to 1 1/4″ round bar with a big cut off saw, there actually was quite a difference in abrasive wheels. Some seemed like they work hardened or something, sparks just stopped flying, steel heated up quick, of couse they lasted longer, but just didn’t cut! Biggest difference to cutting speed of course was thickness, the thinner the disc the quicker it cut, but didn’t last nearly as long. If you’re bored one day you could try swapping out the wheels on your two says and make a cut, if the results are the same, that skilsaw is really an impressive saw!

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.290 seconds