dcsimg

Review: Skilsaw SPT64MTA – 01 14" Abrasive Chop Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll start this review with a comparison test against my 14″ Milwaukee abrasive chop saw.

The first thing I noticed was a few minor differences in the design of them, The Milwaukee has a solid cast base as to where the Skillsaw just has a stamped steel base. I assumed the Milwaukee would be a better idea but after using them both I decided I appreciate the stamped steel base of the Skillsaw for two reasons, It’s lighter to carry and with being a little bigger it was actually more stable. And best of all the Skillsaw has a quick-release vise, and it doesn’t have the tendency to lift the material off the base when clamping down.

Another difference is the straight handle on the Milwaukee vs the D handle on the Skilsaw, I was used to the Milwaukee straight handle but after using the Skillsaw ‘D’ handle I felt it was a little more comfortable. I also liked the blade hold down method better on the Skilsaw, it’s like a miter saw with a spring-loaded pin. The Milwaukee uses a chain and hook, it gets the job done but a bit cumbersome. Although the blade guards and spark deflectors are designed a bit differently I didn’t notice any big difference in the flying hot sparks.

Of course the important part is the cutting, they’re both 14″ at 15 amps. However, another difference is the Milwaukee turns at 3300 RPM vs the Skilsaw at 3800 RPM. And that did make a big difference putting the Skillsaw way out in front, I made numerous cuts in three different materials then averaged out the times for each one.

Here’s the results;
    Black pipe 1″ ID X 3/16″ wall
    Milwaukee 33 seconds
    Skillsaw 16 seconds

Square stock 1″ x 1/2″
    Milwaukee 39 seconds
    Skillsaw 21 seconds

Angle Iron 1″ x 1″ x 1/4″ wall
    Milwaukee 35 seconds
    Skillsaw 14 seconds

You can see the pattern here, the Skilsaw cuts about twice as fast and finishes with less of a burr too.

To sum it up I’ll be giving my Milwaukee away to a friend that doesn’t have a chop saw at all, It is better than nothing but I will never use it again after getting this Skilsaw 🙂

Thanks for taken your time with this review . The Milwaukee never had a chance . What would say that milmaukee is 10 year old design . Do you like the extra guard it has .

Always willing to learn .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I used a skillsaw abrasive saw recently and it was nice, liked the d handle. It would be a little nicer if the gaurd was more stable and the fence had a quick changer for the angle instead of a tool change.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s quite good praise for the Skilsaw! To blast the Milwaukee out of the park like that, it must be a good machine.

How old is the Milwaukee?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I used a skillsaw abrasive saw recently and it was nice, liked the d handle. It would be a little nicer if the gaurd was more stable and the fence had a quick changer for the angle instead of a tool change.

What material were you cutting throw . Did it have any problems at all .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Light and heavy gauge studs also a 3\4″ rod of d2 steel. It had no problems whatsoever

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for taken your time with this review . The Milwaukee never had a chance . What would say that milmaukee is 10 year old design . Do you like the extra guard it has .

Yeah the extra guard is ok, I like that it goes all the way down to the base. I’ve seen an abrasive saw blade explode, It was in a gas powered hand saw with a rather open guard. I was sitting down about 50 yards away and it took out my beer can beside me, The guy standing next to me took some hits in his hand. And he had leather gloves on and he still had to go get the cuts stitched up.

Yeah the extra guard is ok, I like that it goes all the way down to the base. I’ve seen an abrasive saw blade explode, It was in a gas powered hand saw with a rather open guard. I was sitting down about 50 yards away and it took out my beer can beside me, The guy standing next to me took some hits in his hand. And he had leather gloves on and he still had to go get the cuts stitched up.

For sure those blades are really dangerous when they explode like that . Glad to hear it didn’t hurt you .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for a great review Dabbs. Surprising to me that the Skill out preformed the Milwaukee by so much. Sounds like a nice saw.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Great review, nice to have something readily available to compare. Thanks for taking the time!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice review Dabbs,, I looked at it in the tool shop and it did look like a solid saw.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great review, its always good to pass on your old tools to your buddies once you get a decent replacement. with the newer design in guard, its definitely a good thing, i’ve never seen an abrasive blade explode but i have heard it is quite scary.

Nice review Dabbs. I was thinking that the Skill would have a little better performance, but those results were way better than I thought. Like the handle on the Skill, seems like it would be a more comfortable and secure grip

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for review Dabbs. Nice to see that Skil is making a saw that performs great out of the box. Would not have thought it to be twice as fast as the Milwaukee though.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boyd Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the chop saw. It has been on my list for awhile.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

great review, its always good to pass on your old tools to your buddies once you get a decent replacement. with the newer design in guard, its definitely a good thing, i’ve never seen an abrasive blade explode but i have heard it is quite scary.

I haven’t had it happen with a cut off machine, but I’ve had a few too many cutting discs shatter on grinders. Definitely not fun, the more protection the better!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t had it happen with a cut off machine, but I’ve had a few too many cutting discs shatter on grinders. Definitely not fun, the more protection the better!

Yeah and the bad thing that day was after the one exploded he put on a new blade and kept going, Problem was; I looked over the box of blades and the saw, the blades were under rated for the saw higher rpm, I told him to stop using it but he didn’t listen and kept on cutting with it. We all ducked behind a truck everytime he fired it up, And he did explode one more but luckily no one got hit. All it takes is one stupid guy to injure the rest of the crew

Congratulations on the saw,
    That’s some differences in the speed of the cuts,
    I guess the difference in 500 rpm at that speed can make a huge difference in the speed of the cut,

Great review Boyd.

Good on you at passing down a good tool to a friend 🙂

Yeah and the bad thing that day was after the one exploded he put on a new blade and kept going, Problem was; I looked over the box of blades and the saw, the blades were under rated for the saw higher rpm, I told him to stop using it but he didn’t listen and kept on cutting with it. We all ducked behind a truck everytime he fired it up, And he did explode one more but luckily no one got hit. All it takes is one stupid guy to injure the rest of the crew

I have no doubts the person your giving thesaw to knows the ins and outs. But just thinking that it;s important to watch who get different tools. Not everyone should have them

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratulations on the saw,
    That’s some differences in the speed of the cuts,
    I guess the difference in 500 rpm at that speed can make a huge difference in the speed of the cut,

Great review Boyd.

Good on you at passing down a good tool to a friend 🙂

It’s the ole ‘Pay It Forward’ thing 🙂 ….Yeah I’ve had that saw for over 10 years and thought it was as good as any others in it’s class, Figured I’d have it forever. He’ll appreciate it…

BTW, I put one of those tags to good use already. Thank you very much @Boschmanbrian

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.268 seconds