dcsimg

Review, Skil Wormdrive Table Saw

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I heard and tried the saw. I didn’t notice it was any better than other saw I own-owned.

Then I just heard some total BS at woc from those guys. worlds quietest saw bla bla. anyways thanks for clearing that up.

And for those who like to watch how the saw performs. I found this video

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks for the saw link @madman_us . I like how it was cutting that 4×4 all the way up . Plus how everything fits inside of unit .

Always willing to learn .

redwood
    Pro

Interesting that they mentioned the saw wasn’t as stable on the stand as they would have liked. I didn’t find that at all. I ripped some 16′ 2×6’s by myself, with no outfeed, and there was no movement. I wonder if they failed to adjust that leg support.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Interesting that they mentioned the saw wasn’t as stable on the stand as they would have liked. I didn’t find that at all. I ripped some 16′ 2×6’s by myself, with no outfeed, and there was no movement. I wonder if they failed to adjust that leg support.

Probably that plus uneven floor 😀
    maybe they didn’t feel like fine tuning saw and stand.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Couple of questions:

1. Does it have constant speed controller like 4100?
    2. When the blade is all the way up, can the riving knife be dropped all the way below table?
    3. Is the throat plate, specifically the rim, very thin like the 1031 or nice and thick like 4100?

Thanks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I heard and tried the saw. I didn’t notice it was any better than other saw I own-owned.

Then I just heard some total BS at woc from those guys. worlds quietest saw bla bla. anyways thanks for clearing that up.

And for those who like to watch how the saw performs. I found this video

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/hOC6zSI8kNY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

maybe they need to use the grriper to keep it stable. While i was watching the video, i think it was just them pushing a little to hard on the end and causing the other end to raise up.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

They probably couldn’t be bothered to adjust the foot on the one leg to stabilize it for the test.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I saw one in person today. An interesting note:

The GTS1031 has the thin throat plate inserts
    The Skil Wormdrive Table Saw has throat plate inserts that resemble the 4100’s thicker inserts, which means you can easily make ZCIs for it.

Clev08
    Pro

The one I tinkered with in store felt like everything was made very lightweight(not very heavy duty IMO). And the miter gauge has a lot of play in the slot.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Good to hear the insert is thicker, should have less flex too.

As far as the weight goes, I don’t think you can fault it for that consider it’s meant to be a portable saw that you can haul around with one hand, so you can’t get too sturdy and add too much weight.

Yeah the stock miter gauge on my 4100 has a lot of play in the slot as well, but I expect this to be the case with stock miter gauges until you shim them sufficiently.

The thing with the throat plate was that appeared to be the weak point on the GTS1031 with how you couldn’t make a ZCI and how the metal throat plate that comes with the saw seems a little flexy.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah the stock miter gauge on my 4100 has a lot of play in the slot as well, but I expect this to be the case with stock miter gauges until you shim them sufficiently.

True on all the Craftsman power tools as well. Slop in the miter gauge slot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Good thing is the aluminum bar on 4100 gauge is thick and square, those with thin T shaped bars would be pretty hard to shim.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.374 seconds