dcsimg

Review, Skil Wormdrive Table Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

To start, I’ll give you some idea of how it assembled, some features and inital thoughts. Feel free to ask questions and I’ll answer them, if I can.

Remember one thing, this is a pre sale saw, so I don’t know if there will be any changes when they go on sale. I doubt it though.

First up the stand. It came assembled, except for the leg extensions. One of the extensions had a deformed hole (bent), and wouldn’t slip over the main portion of the leg. A little work with some pliers, and all was well.

It’s a nice and stable stand. I like the way the saw just clamps to it. No bolting required. It has one adjustable foot pad. It folds up and the clamps also keep it flat. Sorry, no wheels.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Looks like a nice saw, what kind of blade did it come with?

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Have you cut with it yet? Does it seem to have more power than a standard TS? Is it soft start?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Onto the saw setup and adjustments.

As typical for most current job site saws, everything stores onboard the saw for travel. Everything above the table has a spot under the table for transport.

My saw did not come with a manual. I guess they haven’t been printed yet. I was able to download it from Skil’s website though. It is quite comprehensive and very detailed. It was obviously written my English speaking people, if you know what I mean.

Initial setup included setting up the riving knife, the blade guard, and the spall blades. The riving knife just required pulling it up over the blade and locking in place. Both the blade guard and the spall blades clip on to the riving knife, which is quite long. It is very easy to put these on and take them off, literally seconds.

The bevel stops were off when I checked them, but it was fairly easy to adjust with a cam stop. The blade was parallel with the miter slots and fence, so no adjustment there was necessary. That’s it with the setup.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

That looks identical to the GTS1031

Does the stand have two front clips? The GTA500 stand only has one

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Does it seem to have more power than a standard TS?

That’s what we all want to know?

Does look like a nice saw.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Looks nice. Can’t wait for the rest of the reviews.

redwood
    Pro

Now for my very inital impressions, after running one very small board through. Tomorrow I’ll try to get something bigger to test it out.

No, it does not have soft start. The blade is a 30 tooth carbide Diablo blade.

Noise seemed slightly less then my Baby DeWalt. Weight was around 10#’s heavier then the DeWalt, but easily managed by a fat old guy.

The fence was accurate, but does not compare to DeWalt’s rack and pinion fence. It uses a clamp down lever that requires some effort to engage, and the saw makes some creaking sounds when tightening it up. But it certainly won’t move, once it’s locked down.

A couple of big advantages it has over the Baby DeWalt. It has a 25″ rip capacity and a 3 1/2″ depth of cut. I’ll have to see if I have any 4X material to test that out. It will also accept a dado blade, though you will have to purchase a optional throat plate.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I like the slot in the front of the saw to store the push stick…the plastic nub that holds the push stick on my gts1031 has already broke.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Now for my very inital impressions, after running one very small board through. Tomorrow I’ll try to get something bigger to test it out.

No, it does not have soft start. The blade is a 40 tooth carbide Diablo blade.

Noise seemed slightly less then my Baby DeWalt. Weight was around 10#’s heavier then the DeWalt, but easily managed by a fat old guy.

The fence was accurate, but does not compare to DeWalt’s rack and pinion fence. It uses a clamp down lever that requires some effort to engage, and the saw makes some creaking sounds when tightening it up. But it certainly won’t move, once it’s locked down.

A couple of big advantages it has over the Baby DeWalt. It has a 25″ rip capacity and a 3 1/2″ depth of cut. I’ll have to see if I have any 4X material to test that out. It will also accept a dado blade, though you will have to purchase a optional throat plate.

Nice to see that it has a 25″ rip capacity.
    Hard to beat the rack and pinion on the DeWalts.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The blade is a 40 tooth carbide Diablo blade.

Is the Riving knife as thin as the Diablo blade?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m surprised they wouldn’t throw a bosch blade on there

I’m surprised they wouldn’t throw a bosch blade on there

Why? Freud is another of their brands

Sweet. Always nice to have new toys to play with.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Nice review. I’m looking forward to seeing more on this unit.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the slot in the front of the saw to store the push stick…the plastic nub that holds the push stick on my gts1031 has already broke.

I’m on my 4 Or 5 knob now. Thanks for the input RedWood.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Thanks for taken the Time to do review on that bad boy saw . From the other review guys there pretty happy with it . They’ve been using it on job site cutting .

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a nice looking saw , I am a big fan of Skil tablesaws . It would be nice to see it added to the prize list 🙂

The Skil Wormdrive Table Saw looks like a worthy GTS1031 improvement. I’m curious as to how it performs with the cuts, especially with the maximum of 3.5″ depth of cut. It would of been nice if it had a soft start.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great first review mark and good job on uploading all those nice pictures.
    One of the Bosch Reps at WOC told me that this saw is one of the quietest contractor saws on the market. what do you think? @redwood

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.688 seconds