dcsimg

BTP Review: Festool ETS EC Brushless 125/3 Sander

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Montreal_Medic 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have access to a friend’s well-equipped cabinet shop where I get to use the equipment. They do their sanding with Dynabrade pneumatic orbital sanders. They are sweet to use – light in weight, little or no vibration, little or no maintenance, and very smooth sanding. Of course, a good-sized compressor is needed to make it all work. One does get spoiled using them as compared to the common electric random orbit sander.

When Festool announced their new brushless sanders -the ETS EC Brushless 125/3, the ETS EC Brushless 150/3 and the ETS EC Brushless 150/5 I was immediately intrigued. Their low profile is similar to an air sander. In fact, Festool states on its website that these sanders “provide the performance of an air sander without the expense and bulk of an air system”. The 125 model has a 5-inch disk while the 150 models have a 6-inch disk. The /3 in the model name denotes a 3mm orbit (3/8”) and the /5 is a 5mm orbit. The 125 weighs just 2.6 pounds. Being variable speed, it can range from 6,000 to 10,000 rpm and is controlled with an adjustable dial.

I purchased the 125 model (with its own Systainer) and put it into use. It has become my go-to sander with all its advertised features being spot-on. It is low profile and low vibration allowing one-handed sanding. You don’t have to fight the sander with it wanting to take off into the next room or having its own mind on where it wants to sand. It is the smoothest operating sander I have found with an electric motor. You do not grow tired while sanding. I suspect the brushless motor contributes to this smoothness.

Minimizing dust is a major goal of mine as I seem to more susceptible to dust recently. When pairing this with my Festool dust extractor, there is virtually no dust at all. The sanding finish is quite smooth with the 3mm orbit. No swirl marks are noticeable. The on-off switch is at the top front of the sander making it easy to turn on and off. When it is turned off, the disc stops immediately with Festool’s braking system. The handle is quite comfortable and ergonomic. Swapping discs on the hook and loop pad is quite easy too. Note that the hole pattern for dust extraction is unique to Festool so you will need to purchase the appropriate sanding discs that work best with it.

All said, this sander is a pleasure to use. Festool pricing is more expensive compared to other sanders. However, after owning many other sander models, I would say it is hard to compare others to this Festool. I have no hesitation recommending this sander to anyone. With the brushless motor, it should last a long time. As an added note, I did also purchase the ETS EC 150/3 for sanding larger areas. It has performed just as well. I also purchased a Systainer with an insert dedicated to 5” disks. It is a great addition and organizer.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us . Festool makes some really great sanders .

Always willing to learn .

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us . Festool makes some really great sanders .

Thank you. I don’t know a company that has as many different sander models as Festool. They have quite a line up.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks for the review Lon. I personally haven’t used a festool sander yet but hopefully one day. The Pro5 will arrive in the next few weeks or rather month lol

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

The Pro5 will arrive in the next few weeks or rather month lol

I ordered one also and am anxious to get mine to see how it compares to the one I reviewed. Mine is now due at the end of March and it was ordered in October. Talk about a backlog!

I would be curious to know how you compare the two. I have the ETS125 and the Pro5. I like them both!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Good review. FwIW, you can buy the inch pad and use the 5 inch sander. They are essentially the same machine. You cannot use the 5 inch pad on the 6 inch sander, though. So the 125 is the one to get for added versatility in my mind.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They do their sanding with Dynabrade pneumatic orbital sanders. They are sweet to use – light in weight, little or no vibration, Their low profile is similar to an air sander. In fact, Festool states on its website that these sanders “provide the performance of an air sander without the expense and bulk of an air system”.

Dynabrade sanders are a pleasure to use for sure. The Festool sounds nice as well. Nice review. I need a good cordless vibration free sander.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Great review Lon. Thanks for taking the time. It sounds like a fantastic sander.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great review, makes me kinda wish I had jumped in on the frenzy as well.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Great review thanks. I have used this sander and it’s really nice. No swirl marks at all in the work.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Lon great review, I used to use those air sanders here in the shop, They were great, thanks for letting us know how the Festool compare to the other types,
    It does look like a very nice design,

Great review! I love my Pro5 and Im sure the 125/3 is an even better tool

I use Abranet paper instead since I also use Bosch sanders and didn’t want to keep supplies with each hole pattern, especially of the higher grits that seem to last a while. I highly recommend it. Slight improvement in dust collection – since its already so close to perfect, there isn’t much opportunity to get better.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.339 seconds