dcsimg

Review of Bosch OS50VC ½ Sheet Sander

This topic contains 329 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 330 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@Pl woodworker nice set up in the L box, whe i start to order my L boxes I too will be happy to post some pictures, and I will also be using the Kaisan foam , @thedude306 that looks like a great idea, thanks for the pics.

Have you found not having hook and loop and just the clamps to be an issue at all?

The clamping system is not a problem. Works just fine and allows you to be approximate and not absolutely perfect on how much paper to put in first. The flexibility of the paper backing is more the issue. Needs to be easily bent and not brittle. Cloth backing would be best in my opinion.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Great review @pi_woodworker

First thing I have to say is where is the L-Boxx 😉 Besides that in my line of work I never have to use a sander. This is a great intro for me since I was ready to let some of it sink in. If I started to get into any carpentry it would be some sort of restoration work for myself. This would be a great start. Gotta play with some new tools 😛

A Working Pro since 2004

@thedude306, I just noticed the plugin on the sander. Does that fit the Festool cord? I am guessing it does. Where are you getting those fittings?

@boschmanbrian, thanks for the compliments. Glad I got the sander and made it fit the l-boxx. You will love this sander as a finishing sander. Use a 5-6″ random orbit sander to remove material before bringing out that baby.

Not trying to get away from the sanders, but Brad’s idea on the plugs is still one of the best ideas I have seen

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great review on the ½sheet sander Lon. It just got higher on my list. I need to check the piggys on that.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro

I love the 1/2 sheet sander. I used to have a bunch of 1/4 sheet palm sanders and got away from them when the RO’s became popular. Though not as aggessive as a RO, it’s a much flatter finish and pretty hard to screw up the flatness, unlike a RO. Paper loads much easier then the palm sanders.

It really should have come in a L-box though. Mine is in a L-Box 3, combined with 5″ RO sander. No foam for me. Just pile them in.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I used this guy tonight. I have never known what a smooth finish a machine can do until I tried this. absolutely perfect.

Oh, and you need suction control. I think this thing with the bosch vac could lift a sheet of 3/4″ plywood!!

@pi_woodworker

All you ever wanted to know is right here.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-js572e-powercon-true1-mod/

They do not plug into a the festool version but I did make an adapter. One of the best things in my shop. Since I only have one festool, it was easy to make everything the same with my other brands. Every tool that I purchase from here on in will get one of these.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

@pi_woodworker
    Excellent review of that tool. I don’t have a sheet sander so now I have to get one. Thanks!

@thedude306
    Thanks for attaching that link sir! Very useful that!

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

<P>RO sanders are great, but it is easy to over sand in an area or move too quickly and get little pig-tails that appear when applying finish</P>

<P>A tip on how to check the sanding job is to apply mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to the surface. Imperfections will show and you can deal with them. It will evaporate quickly and does not hurt the wood but check for any raised grain as a precaution. I have forgotten this tip on occasion and missed a sanding imperfection. </P>

Yep. But same general rule applies – oil with oil, water with water. So, if you are using a water-based finish, you do a check-wipe with water (a little bit!). The water will usually raise the grain a little (a trick in itself), after which you give it the final once over sanding before rechecking.
    Whatever the solvent is, it also helps pick up any residual dust.

Good review. I like ROS for most things, but it’s hard to beat these in corners.

Great review on the ½sheet sander Lon. It just got higher on my list. I need to check the piggys on that.

Thanks Dirty. I see your piggies have escaped the pen and you have to round some more up. Everyone is liking this sander. It leaves such a nice finish.

woodman_412

Great review Lon! Sounds like a sweet sander. How would you say speed of material removal compares to the ROS65 given the same grit? If you rated them both on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being slow and 10 being fast.

Dan

danpattison.com

Great review Lon! Sounds like a sweet sander. How would you say speed of material removal compares to the ROS65 given the same grit? If you rated them both on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being slow and 10 being fast.

Interesting question @woodman_412. I use the 1/2 sheet for finishing so I don’t use it to remove a lot of material. Normally use 180 – 220 grit. With dust collection you don’t see how much dust is coming off. You just get a smooth finish. I would say a 3 – 4 with those grits. The ROS 65 is used with 80 – 150 grits and does a good job of material removal. Not like a belt sander so I would say 6 – 7. The belt sander in my book would be a 10 for comparison.

I firmly believe a half sheet orbital sander should be in everyone’s toolkit if they make furniture or sand larger items – it does make things flat. Like I said, the Festool RS2E is nice and does the job well, it seems like the vibration control of the Bosch could be even better, so that is what intrigues me about this machine.

Orange County, CA

Like I said, the Festool RS2E is nice and does the job well, it seems like the vibration control of the Bosch could be even better, so that is what intrigues me about this machine.

@pi_woodworker have you ever gotten a chance to play around with the RS2E to be able to compare the two?

John S

I am strongly considering saving up for one of these sanders and then I can do a good review of them. Hopefully Lon has some experience or if anyone else does, that would be great.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks Dirty. I see your piggies have escaped the pen and you have to round some more up.

I see it is a mid level on the piggy scale. I’ll get em back soon.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@pi_woodworker have you ever gotten a chance to play around with the RS2E to be able to compare the two?

Unfortunately, I have not used the Festool RS2E to give you any comparison. I was so pleased with the Bosch that I had no urge to check one out.

woodman_412

Interesting question @woodman_412. I use the 1/2 sheet for finishing so I don’t use it to remove a lot of material. Normally use 180 – 220 grit. With dust collection you don’t see how much dust is coming off. You just get a smooth finish. I would say a 3 – 4 with those grits. The ROS 65 is used with 80 – 150 grits and does a good job of material removal. Not like a belt sander so I would say 6 – 7. The belt sander in my book would be a 10 for comparison.

Thanks Lon, that’s a great comparison. I have the ROS65 so I was curious how the 1/2 sheet compared. Sounds like I might need to save up for one if I ever get some furniture projects going again.

Dan

danpattison.com

staker
    Pro

I firmly believe a half sheet orbital sander should be in everyone’s toolkit if they make furniture or sand larger items – it does make things flat. Like I said, the Festool RS2E is nice and does the job well, it seems like the vibration control of the Bosch could be even better, so that is what intrigues me about this machine.

I may have to rethink the way I do sanding,on oak I use 80 on the belt and finish 100 on the 1/4 sheet and 150 on maple.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.579 seconds