dcsimg

Review of Bosch OS50VC ½ Sheet Sander

This topic contains 329 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 330 total)
  • Author

What’s a delta head sander, Scot?
    <P></P>
    <P>With my cheapie 1/2 sheet sander I did use 80 grit and it did a pretty good job of sanding down some high spots.</P>

It is one with a little triangle shape — like an OMT tool’s sanding pad or a “mouse” sander from Black & Decker. Festool carries a couple of iterations of it as well with the DTS400 and the RO90 and well as the DX series. It allows you to sand right into the corner, which is really nice.

Orange County, CA

RO sanders are great, but it is easy to over sand in an area or move too quickly and get little pig-tails that appear when applying finish

A tip on how to check the sanding job is to apply mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to the surface. Imperfections will show and you can deal with them. It will evaporate quickly and does not hurt the wood but check for any raised grain as a precaution. I have forgotten this tip on occasion and missed a sanding imperfection.

Scott, I agree that over sanding an area or compromising an edge is more likely with the ROS. Regardless of sander type, you have to pay attention closely to what you are doing.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

That’s a good tip, Lon. I’ll try to remember that. It will be especially useful for someone whose eyes are getting older.

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Epic review Lon! I have never had or though I needed a ½ sheet sander but now it it is on mt list of must have to get.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Great tip on using alcohol to check for imperfections. I have used that technique before. I also draw pencil lines all over the surface and when I they are gone I move to the next section.

Orange County, CA

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

That does help a lot Lon. Thanks for the detail. Appreciate the tip about sanding and staining. Wasn’t aware.

A tip on how to check the sanding job is to apply mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to the surface. Imperfections will show and you can deal with them. It will evaporate quickly and does not hurt the wood but check for any raised grain as a precaution. I have forgotten this tip on occasion and missed a sanding imperfection.

This is an awesome tip – did not know about this one, and I happen to have a good deal of mineral spirits – so this is great!

I am with Dirty on this one:

I have never had or though I needed a ½ sheet sander but now it it is on mt list of must have to get.

Especially since the core of the OS50 is quite similar to the ROS65 – and I am definitely impressed by the ROS65

John S

I forgot to add that the mineral spirits will also reveal any glue that was missed in your final preparation.

Anonymous

I’m surprised about the mineral spirits method, That stuff is strong. But it does evaporate fast so I assume that’s why you use. I use it a lot for wiping down metal just before painting, It removes any oil that may be present and good for dust too

I believe it will all fit nicely into an l-boxx 2 for those that want to know.

It turns out that the 1/2 sheet sander needed to go into an l-boxx 3 because of its size. I ordered some Kaizen foam from Rockler and the l-boxx from BTP. Here’s how it turned out. In the bottom of the l-boxx I placed a thin piece of drawer liner material because I needed the entire height for the sander. 2 layers of the Kaizen 2 1/4″ foam were used with a hole cut fitting the foot print of the sander. Along the back edge I cut a narrow rectangle out for placement of the plate used to punch holes in the sand paper along with additional space to place sandpaper. After this was done, the sawdust canister was laid on top with foam wedges cut to hold the sander and canister in place. It worked out work well in my estimation. This setup allows me to transport the sander protected from the perils of travel.

Hey Lon,

That came out pretty nice. Looks like you have space for sandpaper in various grits too. How are you cutting it — scissors or did you make a jig to help cut the paper quickly?

Orange County, CA

Scot, I went to the office supply store and bought an inexpensive paper cutter and just cut the sheet right down the middle. No fuss, no mess. Works like a charm. It also makes it easy for smaller pieces for some sanding blocks I have. Cutting straight with scissors never became a highly developed skill for me. 🙂

Hi Lon,

How has this sander been holding up for you? Do you still like it? Any issues? I am thinking about making this the next thing I save up for.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am thinking about making this the next thing I save up for.

Believe or not it’s high on my list too.

Lon I see you have that dust can with it. Do you use it or hook it up to DC?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Just finished doing this:

Untitled by thedude306[/url], on Flickr

I should be putting it to good use in the next couple days.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

How has this sander been holding up for you? Do you still like it? Any issues? I am thinking about making this the next thing I save up for.

I have been using the sander since I got it. Not one instance where I was disappointed in the sander. If anything did disappoint, it was sandpaper that was too brittle. The surface finish with 220 grit leaves wood feeling like satin. The anti-vibration works well and you don’t feel like you are fighting a middle-linebacker to keep control of the sander. Dust collection with the canister is darn good in my opinion and hooking it up to a dust collector is close to dust free. The emptying of the canister (end unscrews) by pulling out the filter can be tricky. It is best done hanging in a garbage can to keep the dust from going all over as you shake it out. Obviously if you have a dust collector connected, that is not an issue at all.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Great review @Pl woodworker I do not use to many sanders, I do own a older smaller one from Bosch the ROS20VSC it has been a work horse , nothing compared to this one. Thanks for the great review.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow looks like every one likes the Bosch sander. I am still holding out for a cordless one. I know Makita has an 18V one. What about Bosch any cordless sanders?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I have been using the sander since I got it. Not one instance where I was disappointed in the sander. If anything did disappoint, it was sandpaper that was too brittle. The surface finish with 220 grit leaves wood feeling like satin. The anti-vibration works well and you don’t feel like you are fighting a middle-linebacker to keep control of the sander. Dust collection with the canister is darn good in my opinion and hooking it up to a dust collector is close to dust free. The emptying of the canister (end unscrews) by pulling out the filter can be tricky. It is best done hanging in a garbage can to keep the dust from going all over as you shake it out. Obviously if you have a dust collector connected, that is not an issue at all.

Thanks, Lon. I wonder how the vibration compares to the Festool RS2E. I have been using that sander and I do like it, but if I could find something even smoother running I would jump on it. I use an orbital on pretty much every project and I was looking at Virutex paper.

Have you found not having hook and loop and just the clamps to be an issue at all?

Orange County, CA

Just finished doing this:

Untitled by thedude306[/url], on Flickr

I should be putting it to good use in the next couple days.

The plugs are looking good.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.870 seconds