dcsimg

Review of Bosch OS50VC ½ Sheet Sander

Viewing 10 posts - 321 through 330 (of 330 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I have access to the festool half sheet sander, actually working on a bosch and festool sander shoot out that should be live this weekend, but I can check and see of it is interchangeable at all. I know the festool pad is made so that their hook and loop paper can stick to it, so I would imagine that it would be the same kind of pad as the 5″ one that you said wouldn’t work. I would imagine that even if it does work festool wouldn’t tell you that it does. They want you to buy their sander.

That would be great Austin. While I could check myself by going to a Festool retailer that has one on display, I have none near me and have no reason to go there othrwise. While I assume they are the same short bristles, it would be nice to know for sure. Even if the bristles are the longer type, are the mounting hole screws the same.

One thing I would like to know also is if whether the hole pattern on the Festool is the same as the Bosch that the dust actually extracts. It’s hard to tell for certain looking on the internet.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@doobie this is the festool pad on the bosch, no it doesn’t fit. The screw holes are all in the wrong spot. The outside dust ports were in the same spot. The fes doesn’t have the 2 in the front and the back. But this pad I can’t say if the abernet would work on it or not. But regardless you would have to seriously modify it just to get on the sander.

Doobie

@doobie this is the festool pad on the bosch, no it doesn’t fit. The screw holes are all in the wrong spot. The outside dust ports were in the same spot. The fes doesn’t have the 2 in the front and the back. But this pad I can’t say if the abernet would work on it or not. But regardless you would have to seriously modify it just to get on the sander.

Thank you so much Alex. I also discovered that just today on a spur of the moment visit to LV which I was able to squeeze in in my busy travels today.

Doobie

Got 5 free interface pads from Mirka Canada today along with a bunch of other freebies. Holes line up perfect with the Bosch imported pad for my half sheet sander. While the padding is a bit thicker than a regular interface pad I have for other sanders, I think it may work out just fine.

Now I await the Abranet rolls to arrive.

However can i possibly buy one of the interface pads from you ? I’ll have to talk to atlas and pick up some abranet rolls for my half sheet sander.

Missed this post from a few days ago, sorry for the late reply @r-ice.

Did you also get the imported hook and loop Bosch pad? If you didn’t the half sheet interface Mirka pads serves no purpose for you.

If you don’t have the H&L imported pad, I would wait to order some Abranet rolls. I’ll do some testimg when I get mine and see how they work on the standard Bosch rubber backed pad. Those rolls are pricey Aaron. You don’t wanna buy some and find out they are not suitable with that sander on its standard pad.

Maybe this could entail you coming over with yours so we could speed up some various testings with all this.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Looks like you got some sweet swag from them too. Glad it’s all working out.

Thanks for the update Doobie. Knowing how things work especially for the finer grits would be great especially a comparison to paper and the Abranet.

Doobie

Looks like you got some sweet swag from them too. Glad it’s all working out.

That’s twice now I get some nice swag and freebie consumables from Mirka. The last time about a year ago he sent me sample packs of a whole bunce of 5in disks for my Deros. The fellow I keep getting when I call there is actually the president of Mirka Canada. He’s a real nice guy to talk to and he knows his stuff. Obviously, he’s at liberty to send out stuff as he choses.

Thanks for the update Doobie. Knowing how things work especially for the finer grits would be great especially a comparison to paper and the Abranet.

I hope to have some time to do that Lon but I already know that Abranet lasts three to five times longer than paper backed abrasives so I myself am sold on them already. To me, they actually save you money on sanding consumables and time for that matter.

I think one of the reasons that Abranet is so effective is by virtue of all the holes in it’s meshed medium that holds the abrasive grit to it. My thoughts are that with a mesh the grounded off stock is able to work its way much more effectively to the extraction holes in ones sander and as a result the sanded particulates are not being reground uneccesarily like they would be with flat faced paper backed sandpaper.

There may also be other inherent benefits with abranet in that the mash allows better adhesion of the abrasive particles to it than paper backed mediiums can accomplish, but I don’t know this for certain.

By virtue of its mesh, it may be also that it allows for better disipation of any heat build up while sanding. While it arguably may not be of any real significance with the sanding of wood, I would think this makes a big difference when sanding off finishes to help mitigate the gumming-up effect of the sanding medium. Having a face medium covered in holes is kinda like having a built in air conditioner of sorts if you get my meaning.

Curious though Lon, why just the query on comparing just finer grit sanding?

@PI_woodworker

Curious though Lon, why just the query on comparing just finer grit sanding?

The thread has been discussing the half sheet sander which I view as a finishing sander – thus finer grits of sanding medium. I would not normally be longing to hook on rougher grits. My biggest frustration is how quick the paper builds up sanding residue and becomes ineffective. I want to spend time sanding not changing paper. Abranet seems like the solution to this so learning how it does (I agree with your reasoning above by the way) will finish my decision making process on what to stock in the future.

So the pad is for attaching the Abranet @Doobie? Seems pretty thick.

So far I have had very good results using 320 and 400 with this sander between coats of finish. The sander just glides over the surface. With the dust cannister there is almost no dust left behind. A quick wipe with a towel and it is ready for another coat of finish.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

So the pad is for attaching the Abranet @doobie? Seems pretty thick.

It did seem thick to me as well when I only saw it in photos sent to me from Mirka, but once I received them, they really don’t seem that bad.

Once I play and experiment with all this, I’ll let you guys know more.

The main thing I wanted to accomplish was having an interface for the Abranet onto my imported hook and loop Bosch pad.

Viewing 10 posts - 321 through 330 (of 330 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.516 seconds